• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

iPhone 5 - to be announced today

Has Sir Norman a patent on Wembley?

Has he sues the Emirates for using a rectangular pitch and stands with round edges?

He is the main archtiect - he has copyright over the design

Have you heard of intellectual property?

Design is far more sophisticated than corner treatment and roof shape - again, my comment would be the same as further up - perhaps your field of work is completely different hence the generalisation. No offence, fella

He is the main archtiect - he has copyright over the design

Have you heard of intellectual property?

Design is far more sophisticated than corner treatment and roof shape - again, my comment would be the same as further up - perhaps your field of work is completely different hence the generalisation. No offence, fella

So now you are talking about copyright. We are talking about patents. They are different and the Apple case is about patents.

If you are going to be patronising at least get the basics right, otherwise you will look a fool. No offence, fella.

The two do look pretty much the same, I'm not sure why that's worth a billion dollars but anyway. There's not a huge amount you can do with a touchscreen based smart phone I guess.

I don't hate Apple, nor do I favorite them (I have no favorites except Sony, but that's only when it comes to consoles, and I love the Xbox), but I own Apple products and have no trouble admitting it when it's a good product. For me the product matters, not who made it, but that's very different from how it is for Apple followers. If it isn't Apple then it isn't good enough, simple as. I don't mind whether it's a Samsung, Nokia, Blackberry or HTC, as long as I get the quality and the specs that I want.

I never said anything about it having to be apple or it's not good enough, just that I have an iPhone and it works for me. It's amazing how if someone buys a Samsung or a HTC then they've made an informed decision where as if someone buys an iPhone they've bought the wrong phone and they've just followed the crowd and all that gonad*s.

Buy a WD TV and then you can choose whatever phone to use it with. There are other options, this isn't the easiest or cheapest just because it's the most obvious.

I could buy one of them but that would mean I'd have to set up a media server or a network share or something with all my videos on it. I'd have to put up with the crappy large plastic remote that comes with it and I'd have to teach the wife how to use it (never easy). Instead of just having iTunes running on my windows server and her using her iPhone to stream stuff to it.

Well, if other phone companies used glass and metal they'd be victims of Apples favorite spare time activity: LAWSUITS! I guess that they'll soon try to patent 'ideas' and 'evolution'. But just because it's made of plastic doesn't necessarily mean that it's cheaper or lesser in quality.
Also, why is it so much easier for people with iPhones to stay in touch? Phones that uses Android has many different apps to suit your needs, if not then you could always go for the old SMS or a mail.

That's true but plastic makes it feel like it's of lesser quality to me.

It's easier to communicate with other iPhone users because that's the way Apple made it, face time only works with other Apple devices, imessage is only for apple devices, just as Blackberry messenger only works on Blackberries, they do it so if a couple of your friends have one you'll get one too so you can communicate easier. All companies do it. Samsung has something called allshare which links all their devices together, same thought process, link all our stuff together easily and people will buy more of our product line. Like I said, they all do it. Apple are just better at it.

Apple can't bring a lawsuit just because a phone is made of metal and glass as you well know. if it was two pieces of glass with an aluminium strip between them then maybe, the fact is the samsung phones in question do resemble the iPhone and that's what apple doesn't like. Tell me this isn't similar...

iphone_samsung_galaxy.jpg

Like someone else said, people have brand loyalty with cars, clothes, food/drink and many other things, I don't understand why Apple brand loyalty brings such hatred.

The two do look pretty much the same, I'm not sure why that's worth a billion dollars but anyway. There's not a huge amount you can do with a touchscreen based smart phone I guess.

Yes the screen is rectangular so the containing case is likely to be rectangular, with some design features on corners and edges. The curved designs can be traced back to some Braun products in the 60s.

Have a look at two of the Apple patents:

http://www.google.com/patents/USD618677

http://www.google.com/patents/USD593087

Its ridiculous and not what patents were intended for: technical innovation. Apple are not alone but the trend has been for more and more micro-patents, many taken out speculatively or for nuisance value.

The intellectual property law needs reforming. These cosmetic design patents don't really belong within the patent framework. The design features being patented are pretty much independent of the technology, not something helping make the technology work.

Last edited:
So now you are talking about copyright. We are talking about patents. They are different and the Apple case is about patents.

If you are going to be patronising at least get the basics right, otherwise you will look a fool. No offence, fella.

The case is fundamentally about plagiarism - you can use whatever term you wish to describe that

That wasn't meant to patronise you either, I apologise if it came across as such - simply made a remark about your field of work - not sure why you've chosen to take offence to that - similar to someone making a remark about my medical knowledge which is close to zero.

After reading the replies to my post 3 pages ago which I didn't happen to see last night, I just thought I should add another comment, whether you want to hear it or not.

I personally do not have a problem with iPhones, Apple or any phone. The iPhone is a very good, powerful phone, and it is understandable why people will love it. However, what I do have a problem with is the people that are prepared to buy every single new Apple product, regardless of their price and how good the product is, just because it's made by Apple. This causes a big problem in the market, as it reduces the competition and the rate of technological improvements. This is why you always hear people saying "The new iPhone is exactly like the last" and similar things. Because Apple know full well that if they only improve their devices a tiny bit, they will still sell millions of it. If these 'fan boys' did choose to consider other products, Apple would have to improve their phones a lot more each time, and consequently every other company would as well.

If you don't have anything sensible to reply to this, then you might as well not, as I really couldn't care if you get tinkled off at my posts.

The whole patent thing is ant consumer, anti-competitive and pathetic, but samsung did need to be fined for their blatent copying of apples homescreen 'look' on the sgs1 and low end phones.

Stock Android has never looked like iOS, it's never tried to, but samsung skinned it in such a way that to someone walking through the shop looking at the 'next best, cheaper, option to an iPhone' would pick the SG1. They needed to be fined over that. The rectangular screen thing is laughable, as I've said millions of times the iPhone was a copy of Prada's design for LG, as are half of apples claims, but samsung blatantly profited from having that iPhone 'look' about the first screen a user saw even if the copying was only skin deep.

They actually made the phone slower compared to stock, removed functionality and didn't prominently display widgets, all things which should be selling points, but were too 'different' for consumers. At least HTC + Motorola's skins were designed to add functionality, Samsungs was a pathetic attempt to get into the market place slyly.

Thankfully samsung have stopped that now and have their own 'look' and feel with the galaxy series so there shouldn't be anymore similar issues but that first generation of galaxy phones was underhand.

I didn't like the ruling as it was such a whitewash that it endorsed apples pathetic attitude towards 'win in the marketplace through litigation' but hopefully an appeals court will change the ruling so samsung are punished without setting a precident that says apple are fine to bully everyone with patents.

That said the 'design document' is laughable - what company doesn't compare their product to their competitors? I guarantee that apple will have an almost identical dossier on android, winmo, and every handset out there - which will have contributed to all the times they've 'tweaked' iOS with various android features over the lasy 5 or so years. A comparison document isn't copying in itself, its an attempt to better yourself in the face of competiton and is a good thing for everyone.

Software ideas shouldn't be patentable, and the end result certainly shouldn't be trade embargoes, it's disgraceful behaviour from companies who are too used to having their own way and can afford to pay enough to try and have it happen, but a big money kick in the teeth was in order for samsung.

I never said anything about it having to be apple or it's not good enough, just that I have an iPhone and it works for me. It's amazing how if someone buys a Samsung or a HTC then they've made an informed decision where as if someone buys an iPhone they've bought the wrong phone and they've just followed the crowd and all that gonad*s.

That's not what I'm saying, but ALOT of people don't make an informed decision, they buy it based on what's popular or what their friends have. I'm not trying to be an 'Apple hater' or to be mean towards them and call them sheep, I'm just trying to understand what makes their mindset that way. And to be clear, to buy a product because it's popular or all your friends have it doesn't mean that the product suck or that your friends doesn't have a clue, but in my world it's not a rational way to go about when buying an expensive consumer item, whether that be Apple or Samsung. The 'Apple or nothing' sentence was obvious trolling, my apologies, but I do feel that your average Apple fanboy would spend a considerable less amount of time comparing products and looking at reviews compared to a Samsung fanboy.

I could buy one of them but that would mean I'd have to set up a media server or a network share or something with all my videos on it. I'd have to put up with the crappy large plastic remote that comes with it and I'd have to teach the wife how to use it (never easy). Instead of just having iTunes running on my windows server and her using her iPhone to stream stuff to it.

Of course, if you and the missus have used Macs for a long time then sure, I understand the decision. My point is more that if you hadn't already bought both of them you would be free to choose amongst a vast array of different products from different companies, instead of having to buy strictly Apple products.
But the real question is... Why are women (most of them) so crap at everything that has to do with electronics?

That's true but plastic makes it feel like it's of lesser quality to me.

It's easier to communicate with other iPhone users because that's the way Apple made it, face time only works with other Apple devices, imessage is only for apple devices, just as Blackberry messenger only works on Blackberries, they do it so if a couple of your friends have one you'll get one too so you can communicate easier. All companies do it. Samsung has something called allshare which links all their devices together, same thought process, link all our stuff together easily and people will buy more of our product line. Like I said, they all do it. Apple are just better at it.

Apple can't bring a lawsuit just because a phone is made of metal and glass as you well know. if it was two pieces of glass with an aluminium strip between them then maybe, the fact is the samsung phones in question do resemble the iPhone and that's what apple doesn't like. Tell me this isn't similar...

iphone_samsung_galaxy.jpg

Like someone else said, people have brand loyalty with cars, clothes, food/drink and many other things, I don't understand why Apple brand loyalty brings such hatred.

Yes, every company has it, but I don't think neither are 'the best'. What is it about iMessage that is better than every other service available? I use Skype, it works on both Android and Skype, is free and is pretty much the same as iMessage/Facetime. And there's an ocean of apps that works the same way out there, but Skype is the most popular amongst my friends (both Apple and Android people, I don't judge) so that's why I use it.

It was a bit tongue in cheek, and yes I do see a similarity, but just as I see a similarity between a Nokia 5110 and a Sony Ericsson K810, it's a phone. Round edges, size and the earspeaker is what my eye catches, but quite frankly, I do not care that much about the design. If they wanted to keep an idea of a design to themselves, go whacky, make it a starfish shape or something, I'm sure nobody would've copied that.

Last edited:
After reading the replies to my post 3 pages ago which I didn't happen to see last night, I just thought I should add another comment, whether you want to hear it or not.

I personally do not have a problem with iPhones, Apple or any phone. The iPhone is a very good, powerful phone, and it is understandable why people will love it. However, what I do have a problem with is the people that are prepared to buy every single new Apple product, regardless of their price and how good the product is, just because it's made by Apple. This causes a big problem in the market, as it reduces the competition and the rate of technological improvements. This is why you always hear people saying "The new iPhone is exactly like the last" and similar things. Because Apple know full well that if they only improve their devices a tiny bit, they will still sell millions of it. If these 'fan boys' did choose to consider other products, Apple would have to improve their phones a lot more each time, and consequently every other company would as well.

If you don't have anything sensible to reply to this, then you might as well not, as I really couldn't care if you get tinkled off at my posts.

This.

I love the iPhone it does exactly what I need but I'm not going to be getting this one and I didn't get the 4s either. The 4 is still good enough and not that far behind the 5 to warrant a change. If this one was more innovative then I'd get this one but it's not so I wont. If only everyone else did the same then they'd have to put more effort into each one or face falling sales.

The thing I don't get is why don't the other manufacturers put more effort into their devices to show Apple up, if Samsung had a nice sturdy phone with a 3.5-4 inch screen that had NFC, wireless charging, 4g, face recognition or whatever other technology is being worked on then I'd probably jump ship. The fact is they don't have this stuff either so Apple can get away with minor upgrades every year.

firstly, is that not a bit of a straw man, i know a lot of people with apple gear, i have a lot myself, but none of them (or me) blindly buy everything new they release, you'd have to be a millionaire to afford it

secondly, even if this were the case, i don't get how that would reduce the competition or rate of technical advancement, this has no relevance on iteration or innovation at other companies

This.

I love the iPhone it does exactly what I need but I'm not going to be getting this one and I didn't get the 4s either. The 4 is still good enough and not that far behind the 5 to warrant a change. If this one was more innovative then I'd get this one but it's not so I wont. If only everyone else did the same then they'd have to put more effort into each one or face falling sales.

The thing I don't get is why don't the other manufacturers put more effort into their devices to show Apple up, if Samsung had a nice sturdy phone with a 3.5-4 inch screen that had NFC, wireless charging, 4g, face recognition or whatever other technology is being worked on then I'd probably jump ship. The fact is they don't have this stuff either so Apple can get away with minor upgrades every year.

The S3 has gota 4.8" screen, NFC, 4G and face recognition, though no wireless charging (though there's a company who sells that for the S3).

firstly, is that not a bit of a straw man, i know a lot of people with apple gear, i have a lot myself, but none of them (or me) blindly buy everything new they release, you'd have to be a millionaire to afford it

secondly, even if this were the case, i don't get how that would reduce the competition or rate of technical advancement, this has no relevance on iteration or innovation at other companies

Some people do buy Apple products because they're made by Apple, and I even know people who will unashamedly admit so.

It affects the speed of technological improvements because if people did change phones then Apple would have to keep improving their phone more and more each time, which would make other manufacturers want to make better phones and the competition would be much greater.

ah right sorry, i read that as some people bought 1 of every apple product released

surely other manufacturers are adding extra stuff to compete, nfc, hdmi out for example, these devices are out there and people that want these features will seek them out

ah right sorry, i read that as some people bought 1 of every apple product released

surely other manufacturers are adding extra stuff to compete, nfc, hdmi out for example, these devices are out there and people that want these features will seek them out

Of course other manufacturers are, but if Apple did that stuff too then other manufacturers would have to do even more. This is how technology develops over time, and fan boys are unfortunately slowing it down.

but the fan boys don't dictate to apple what goes into a device

history has shown that apple's mantra is, "the user doesn't know what they want until we give it to them"

but the fan boys don't dictate to apple what goes into a device

history has shown that apple's mantra is, "the user doesn't know what they want until we give it to them"

That's not my point. My point is fan boys will buy the iPhone no matter what's in the device, meaning they can just continue hardly improving the iPhone each time, and competitors don't need to improve their phones much more either.

Back