• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

I believe Southgate approach was right, he appeared to be trying the build a team like a club side and not keep changing for the flavour of the month players. The last time England won the WC we certainly did not have the 11 best players available in the squad let alone the team.

Southgate has brought dignity and pride to the setup, which was hugely missing during the Spice Boys era from 1999-2016.

However I would have replaced him with Pochettino after the Hungary game in June 22. Really just to have a run at WC with the handbrake off.
Yea agreed on the first sentence, he was the right man at the right time when he first came in, but 2 tournaments, 4 years, should have been it.

As long as England rely on world class mediocrity like Henderson, Wiltshire, sterling, oxlade chamberlain, maguire, this is a long list and goes back as far as i can remember, they will struggle.
It's like the foden debate going on in another thread, he's no kdb, but he's a lot better than some of the dross that England managers have continued to pick.

It was good to hear Southgate finally confirm that Ben White doesn't want to be considered for England call ups. Should shut up the Arsenal fans and media pundits that keep asking why he's not there. He clearly still has the hump. Does anyone know if it's justified or not? I never read the reason why he left Qatar.

He’s a very odd man. Not sure I’d want him around my squad. You’d maybe make allowances if he was a decent player, but he’s nowhere near starting, so I’d fudge him off, petulant clam.

Some serious talent in this squad

England squad​

Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal).

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Man Utd), John Stones (Emirates Marketing Project), Kyle Walker (Emirates Marketing Project).

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Ajax), James Maddison (Tottenham), Declan Rice (Arsenal).

Forwards: Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Phil Foden (Emirates Marketing Project), Anthony Gordon (Saudi Sportswashing Machine), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Marcus Rashford (Man United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

Some serious talent in this squad

England squad​

Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal).

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Man Utd), John Stones (Emirates Marketing Project), Kyle Walker (Emirates Marketing Project).

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Ajax), James Maddison (Tottenham), Declan Rice (Arsenal).

Forwards: Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Phil Foden (Emirates Marketing Project), Anthony Gordon (Saudi Sportswashing Machine), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Marcus Rashford (Man United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

Hard to pick the front 3 there (Well, the two either side of Kane)... So many options

Pickford
Walker Stones ??? Chilwell
Bellingham Rice Maddison
Palmer Kane Foden

No idea who I would pick second CB

Last edited:
Pickford
Walker Stones ??? Chilwell
Bellingham Rice Maddison
Palmer Kane Foden

No idea who I would pick second CB

--------------Johnstone
Walker--Branthwaite---Stones--Chilwell
---------Rice--------Bellingham
--------------Maddison
--Saka--------Kane-------Foden

--------------Johnstone
Walker--Branthwaite---Stones--Chilwell
---------Rice--------Bellingham
--------------Maddison
--Saka--------Kane-------Foden
Have you actually watched Bellingham this season? He's not been playing as a CM and all the plaudits he's been receiving along with the goals have come from playing as a 10/hybrid 9. No point picking him imo and not playing him where he's been playing well.

England have that issue again where they have a number of quality players who all perform best in similar areas. I'm seeing a lot of people putting Foden on the wing and yes he can play there but it's far from his best position. He again plays best in the central regions. I guess we'll see how Southgate positions everyone but a lot of these teams posted appear to be trying to squeeze lots of players in.

Have you actually watched Bellingham this season? He's not been playing as a CM and all the plaudits he's been receiving along with the goals have come from playing as a 10/hybrid 9. No point picking him imo and not playing him where he's been playing well.

England have that issue again where they have a number of quality players who all perform best in similar areas. I'm seeing a lot of people putting Foden on the wing and yes he can play there but it's far from his best position. He again plays best in the central regions. I guess we'll see how Southgate positions everyone but a lot of these teams posted appear to be trying to squeeze lots of players in.
I guess GB’s line up in CM could have Rice sitting and Maddison and Bellingham as number 8’s ahead of him, similar to how Spurs play.

Back