• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

Sounds good on paper, but i think the England job isn't for anyone with a young family these days sadly..long-term that would sound good though.

Klinsmann's son is 19 or 20 these days. It was at least 10 years ago he spoke about settling in America for his kids

It's also only a P/T job. Klinsmann can stay in America most of the year doing international DoF type things (like he did with Germany), while Howe can carry on at Bournemouth and just come in for international breaks and summer tournaments until he's ready to take over the big job (Jochim Low style).

Klinsmann's son is 19 or 20 these days. It was at least 10 years ago he spoke about settling in America for his kids

It's also only a P/T job. Klinsmann can stay in America most of the year doing international DoF type things (like he did with Germany), while Howe can carry on at Bournemouth and just come in for international breaks and summer tournaments until he's ready to take over the big job (Jochim Low style).

Hmm...interesting set-up...would only work if Howe was at a club that had a DOF AND had almost guarenteed PL status imo...and even then it'd be too much of a stretch imo.
Any PL loss and people will sling the 'he isn't focused 100%' mud at him..

As long as "England manager scandal" headlines sells more papers than "England quite good at football" headlines do (forever) then that's how it's going to be.
Wouldn't take that job for anything.

Or just don't get involved in bungs or sex scandals (Venables, Redknapp, Allardyce, Eriksen) or be a religious bigot (Hoddle). Most other managers in recent years have behaved appropriately off the pitch (Hodgson, Capello, Keegan, Robson).

Hmm...interesting set-up...would only work if Howe was at a club that had a DOF AND had almost guarenteed PL status imo...and even then it'd be too much of a stretch imo.
Any PL loss and people will sling the 'he isn't focused 100%' mud at him..

Isn't there a precedent for the England assistant manager having a full-time EPL day job? Bryan Robson under Venables while he was Middlesborough manager?

It would fall apart under pressure from the press at the first run of bad results.

I don't think that is true.

If I was accepting money to advise people against my employers I'd expect to have the book thrown at me.

If someone offered you £400k for doing it............I know! you would say no! And I'm a chinaman
EDIT Sorry @milo that was a little bitter and personal (grumpy old me)

Sunderland would have already been on the phone to with Stoke and West Ham holding on the line.
I'm not bothered about Sam he's an old school survivor, if a little doggie......probably why I like him as a character.

Last edited:
Can't really see what he's done wrong, other than being unbelievable naive. In my view he wasn't advising them, he was just (too) honest and told how things are done. If anything the FA should be embarrassed by how easy it is to bend the rules they have put in place. They should thank Allardyce for laying it out for them.

If someone offered you £400k for doing it............I know! you would say no! And I'm a chinaman
EDIT Sorry @milo that was a little bitter and personal (grumpy old me)

Sunderland would have already been on the phone to with Stoke and West Ham holding on the line.
I'm not bothered about Sam he's an old school survivor, if a little doggie......probably why I like him as a character.

Sadly, I don't get offered many £400k backhanders, so I have few opportunities to refuse them.

He knew when he took the job that it came with intense media scrutiny. Part of that is keeping your nose clean and not saying anything stupid. In return for this you are the highest paid international manager in the world. There is plenty of time to cash in after your inevitable sacking.

He knew when he took the job that it came with intense media scrutiny. Part of that is keeping your nose clean and not saying anything stupid. In return for this you are the highest paid international manager in the world. There is plenty of time to cash in after your inevitable sacking.

Especially when the fate of his predecessors is so firm in the memory

Venables - Court cases and a police inquiry into whether he had paid a bung
Hoddle - "You and I have been given two hands, two legs and half-decent brains. Some people have not been born like that for a reason,"
SGE - The Fake Sheikh, Faria Alam and meeting Chelsea to discuss a deal

Hoddle - "You and I have been given two hands, two legs and half-decent brains. Some people have not been born like that for a reason,"

The role that just keeps giving.........

Sadly, I don't get offered many £400k backhanders, so I have few opportunities to refuse them.

Yep; as a sting i bet the reporters found Sam as easy to breach as Man Utd found Leicester's defence on Saturday..in fact proably the easiest one they've done all because of BFS's monster-sized ego..

Or just don't get involved in bungs or sex scandals (Venables, Redknapp, Allardyce, Eriksen) or be a religious bigot (Hoddle). Most other managers in recent years have behaved appropriately off the pitch (Hodgson, Capello, Keegan, Robson).
5 out of 9 isn't most.
The press will target you for any reason, wally with a brolly, turnip head or whatever.

Hodgson did some other work while England manager as did Capello.

It would make things much clearer if the FA gave managers exclusive contracts where they couldn't work for anyone else without their approval. It is beyond belief that people are questioning Allardyce ethics or greed in a sport so full of all the worse aspects of human nature. Going to be very difficult to find new England manager to fit the criteria being proposed as all the saints I know of are dead.

Going to be very difficult to find new England manager to fit the criteria being proposed as all the saints I know of are dead.
new-southampton-manager-harry-redknapp-holds-up-a-club-scarf-during-picture-id51837510

Yep; as a sting i bet the reporters found Sam as easy to breach as Man Utd found Leicester's defence on Saturday..in fact proably the easiest one they've done all because of BFS's monster-sized ego..

Some stings are very nasty. I remember Steve Mackay from Pulp talking about a time someone who was struggling to balance a few drinks at a function, asked him to help by holding something for them. A photographer then jumped out and the next morning he was on the front pages as a drug dealer (the journalist had handed him a speed wrap).

But this sounds like an actual failure of integrity.

Back