• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

He got into some good position's, but his final ball was consistently bad.

It was a weird game to watch tbh. We looked better with the pacey players on the field because we didn't have to try to play it through the lines, there were always options in behind. As soon as things switched up, we slowed down and didn't look threatening. I'm not sure that Vardy touched the ball and Welbeck looked as average as ever (Dele looked disinterested too).

I think when it comes down to it you are going to be rather disappointed. Southgate will tow the FA line, which means big players from big clubs, max marketing and PR revenue.

A few young players will make the squad but they wont play barring a catastrophe / injury.
Has an England manager ever not done this? Certainly post 2000?

Has to be said Dele was downright dogbrick but it was Ashley Young who annoyed the most. Stopped play every time he got the ball before passing backward; when off the ball ran about pointing everywhere whilst making sure to avoid going into the tackle. No doubt under instruction from Maurinho.

Russia is a subject that annoys me.

If they killed someone over here its bad news, they have already have their diplomats being sent home and on a political side things are tense, so how can the World Cup be looked at without that in mind? I don't understand. On Newsnight they are talking, maybe OTT but talking about a new cold war and Russia are making threats of some kind, yet when we talk about the World Cup its almost as if football is untouchable.

TO be honest Russia should never have been awarded the World Cup and the place is mental, I would not want us to go and feel its a good statement to the world not going. People are too sh1t scared to make such bold moves though.

As for Boris comments he has a huge point, lets get it straight he didnt say Russia are Nazis he said the world cup would be like the Nazi Olympics in that the coverage would paint a picture of something thats not true and he is right
The only possibility here would be for individual players, of the ilk of Messi, ronaldo to say ‘I’m not playing’. Nations can’t risk political unrest, fans remain fans. Top top Footballers are almost like nations themselves now, the power they have and the lack of it...

I thought we played really well tonight, was impressed, and I like how Southgate is going about his job. Good rotation of players, a nice set up, I thought we looked a class above Holland, on their own patch. It bodes well.

I think when it comes down to it you are going to be rather disappointed. Southgate will tow the FA line, which means big players from big clubs, max marketing and PR revenue.

A few young players will make the squad but they wont play barring a catastrophe / injury.

How many big name players do we have? Other than ours, they are all playing second or third fiddle at their clubs.

I know it's selfish, but happy to see Dier and Alli not selected

That means they play the second game. I'd have preferred them to start the first one.

Strange selection, although I think we need to see the starters in the second game to see the full thinking.

I understand the reasoning for the back three, but why start Gomes on the left instead of Maguire. Is Walker seriously been considered for the right berth or just as a contingency? The position seems to remove a lot of his strengths as a player. Southgate has called up two young CBs and then uses Walker instead of testing them. It will tell us something if Walker doesn't start at wing-back on Tuesday.

Overall, not a bad game. Probably all those who started did enough to make the squad. Probably all who played will. Henderson and Welbeck would be my questions. Pickford looked promising, Lingard is a Southgate favourite. From that starting team I'd say Walker, Stones, Rose, Rashford and Sterling are likely world cup starters, with several positions undecided.

That means they play the second game. I'd have preferred them to start the first one.

Strange selection, although I think we need to see the starters in the second game to see the full thinking.

I understand the reasoning for the back three, but why start Gomes on the left instead of Maguire. Is Walker seriously been considered for the right berth or just as a contingency? The position seems to remove a lot of his strengths as a player. Southgate has called up two young CBs and then uses Walker instead of testing them. It will tell us something if Walker doesn't start at wing-back on Tuesday.

Overall, not a bad game. Probably all those who started did enough to make the squad. Probably all who played will. Henderson and Welbeck would be my questions. Pickford looked promising, Lingard is a Southgate favourite. From that starting team I'd say Walker, Stones, Rose, Rashford and Sterling are likely world cup starters, with several positions undecided.

Think you are looking too much into the selection tonight, I imagine he had club orders in mind and it was a chance to try players out in new positions.

Personally I think Southgates done well, using the U21s/younger players, trying new formations open to new players.

Think you are looking too much into the selection tonight, I imagine he had club orders in mind and it was a chance to try players out in new positions.

Personally I think Southgates done well, using the U21s/younger players, trying new formations open to new players.

Well I hope Southgate is planning for the world cup, not managing club managers' expectations. We have one game left until the extended world cup squad is announced, two games until the final 23 is announced. This is the final planning phase.

I read that Southgate explained Walker's position by saying that he often slots into a back three with City when the left back goes forward. This makes sense and means it wasn't a wild experiment. It also means that Southgate can take one less CB to Russia. On the other hand why call up the newcomers? I find it hard to believe they start against Italy.

However, club considerations offer a chance to play the squad, which is why I think last night's starting team had half the expected starters. Each player starts one game, which is why Alli and Dier were not in the starting team last night (similarly Vardy and Maguire). There is a case for Stones starting against Italy, as he needs matches and is set to be the lynchpin of our defence. I assume the plan was to start Maguire against Italy and this might not happen now. A question will be if Walker plays right wing back as he is a City starter.

So I think we will see something like the following against Italy: Butland; Mawson?, Stones, Maguire; Walker, Dier, Alli, Lallana?, Young; Welbeck, Vardy.

Liked the team display yesterday.

If people really have little or no time for the England football team, fine. But why do feel the need to keep repeating it.
It's like banging continuously on about the likes of Sissoko's sad shortcomings.
We hear you, but please!

As a Spurs fan there is no escape from Sissoko's shortcomings. We support Spurs come what may.

It is strange that those who claim to have no time for the England team seems to spend a lot of time criticising it.

Comes over as slightly obsessive.

Back