• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

Russia is a subject that annoys me.

If they killed someone over here its bad news, they have already have their diplomats being sent home and on a political side things are tense, so how can the World Cup be looked at without that in mind? I don't understand. On Newsnight they are talking, maybe OTT but talking about a new cold war and Russia are making threats of some kind, yet when we talk about the World Cup its almost as if football is untouchable.

TO be honest Russia should never have been awarded the World Cup and the place is mental, I would not want us to go and feel its a good statement to the world not going. People are too sh1t scared to make such bold moves though.

As for Boris comments he has a huge point, lets get it straight he didnt say Russia are Nazis he said the world cup would be like the Nazi Olympics in that the coverage would paint a picture of something thats not true and he is right
I agree with many of your points - Russia should never have 'won' the bid (perhaps there was some corruption involved), but Boris's 'Nazi' comment is ignorant, incendiary and foolish (like Boris).

The time isn't now - it was years ago because of the corruption of the bid, the annexation of Crimea, the state sponsored drugs programme and the state sponsored football violence.

It can't be unilateral; we at least need the support of another football heavyweight

And it has to be both Russia and Qatar that are boycott, and a rival tournament setup outside FIFA jurisdiction

I think we would be well within our rights to bail given the head of Sport or whatever said he wanted fans to kick everyone elses arses with organised violence.

I agree with many of your points - Russia should never have 'won' the bid (perhaps there was some corruption involved), but Boris's 'Nazi' comment is ignorant, incendiary and foolish (like Boris).

See I dont think it is, its all in the wording. And I hate the bloke.

The World Cup is often used as a PR tool for countries to elevate its status and in painting a picture that is not indicative of the truth it could be comparable to how the Nazi part presented the Olympics. I agree, Putin is not Hitler but the two events would be comparable on the PR comment for sure.

Third party ownership has been banned by FIFA. I don't know how strictly it is enforced, though.

How imposing this national player quota should benefit the EMNT is also a bit unclear to me. How would matching inferior English players against other inferior English players really improve the national team?
There are two arguments, game time improves players and at the very top level they are not getting that. Also over time if you know you have to field 5 English players you will work damn hard to make sure they are the best they can be - so more investment at the grass routes to improve.

All this may be moot as it seems that we have a very good generation coming through so perhaps changes made 5-10 years ago are coming home to roost. I think it was on Totally football that they said German clubs are now looking at English U19 and below as they rate them so highly and know they will not get first team experience in England so are realistic targets.

DY_nKYYX0AEQei_.jpg

I'm not terribly convinced by the line-up. I can see some possible flexibility there, but overall it looks unbalanced.

Trippier and Rose haven't had their best games, but Rashford and Sterling haven't been predicting the crosses either.

Oxlade Chamberlain has looked alright, but the match has been a non event so far.

Back