• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

I think Southgate will trust his old U21s (i.e. Winks). Like he's doing at CB with Gomes, Stones and Maguire, instead of Cahill, Smalling and Jones.

I think when it comes down to it you are going to be rather disappointed. Southgate will tow the FA line, which means big players from big clubs, max marketing and PR revenue.

A few young players will make the squad but they wont play barring a catastrophe / injury.

So you now think the FA will change the rules because of Brexit. :D
I won't hold my breath!
I can see a situation where there may be some political pressure to do so and outside the EU we can chose to do so. I don't think it will happen but I think we will see a change from Homegrown to English / British players for the premier league.

I think Southgate will trust his old U21s (i.e. Winks). Like he's doing at CB with Gomes, Stones and Maguire, instead of Cahill, Smalling and Jones.
Winks only played twice for England U21's - Gareth Southgate was not the manager Aidy Boothroyd was.

I can see a situation where there may be some political pressure to do so and outside the EU we can chose to do so. I don't think it will happen but I think we will see a change from Homegrown to English / British players for the premier league.

I like the idea...but would doubt it would solve that much.
Do any of the bigger leagues do it?
Thought Serie A, did once or thought about.

None of the others are allowed to, the homegrown rule is due to EU membership in that you cannot differentiate between EU citizens. So outside the EU we could dictate that 5 starters have to be English, but like a lot of the things we can do outside the EU in reality we bend over to the money and I cant see a situation where Premier League chairmen would allow it to happen.

Italy have done things like that in the past (Tony Marchi once suffered because of it), but not since the EU banned it.

I think Italy's recent one has been an only 3 non-EU players rule, or something like that. But they find Italian grannies for any old Argentinean, to circumvent that

Italy have done things like that in the past (Tony Marchi once suffered because of it), but not since the EU banned it.

I think Italy's recent one has been an only 3 non-EU players rule, or something like that. But they find Italian grannies for any old Argentinean, to circumvent that

There's a name from the dim and distant past.

None of the others are allowed to, the homegrown rule is due to EU membership in that you cannot differentiate between EU citizens. So outside the EU we could dictate that 5 starters have to be English, but like a lot of the things we can do outside the EU in reality we bend over to the money and I cant see a situation where Premier League chairmen would allow it to happen.

The home grown rules would still apply to UEFA competition and presumably Bosman would apply to international transfers. The FA and PL could probably change their rules, but it would be counterproductive. It could mean a return to a situation similar to the early CL where United couldn't play their first XI in Europe.

The home grown rules would still apply to UEFA competition and presumably Bosman would apply to international transfers. The FA and PL could probably change their rules, but it would be counterproductive. It could mean a return to a situation similar to the early CL where United couldn't play their first XI in Europe.
Yes I did think about that with UEFA comps - any insight to the Bosman ruling and international transfers, been trying to find something on it for a while and have not been able to - specifically is it mandatory in world football? or as I think you seem to imply there can be a no bosman rule if buying and selling in the same country but if the player wishes to play in Spain there is nothing to stp them if out of contract?

The Bosman ruling was about international transfers in the EU. It was made by the ECJ over freedom of movement of workers in the EU. It ended clubs owning rights to players even when their contracts were over and made quotas on EU players illegal. I don't think the actual ruling applied to transfers within a country (e.g. Arsenal to Man Utd), but the ruling was adopted by UEFA and I find it hard to believe that clubs would be able to get back ownership over out of contract players under English law. The quota bans would apply in still apply UEFA competitions and I doubt the clubs would want such restrictions. It was the Bosman ruling that ended the CL three foreigner rule which hurt United because of their Scottish, Welsh and Irish players.

I don't think it mandatory in world football (i.e. with FIFA). Some South American players seem to be owned by agents. But most transfers to top players involve EU clubs. There are some messy cases with third party ownership which we don't allow but Portugal and Spain do. FIFA might have done something since Tevez but it is probably half-baked.

Who would have thunk it?

Jack Wheelchair out of England friendly in Netherlands with knee injury

Jack Wheelchair’s hopes of earning a first international cap since Euro 2016 have been dashed after he returned to Arsenal having suffered a knock to a knee in training.

The midfielder did not travel to Amsterdam with Gareth Southgate’s England squad for Friday’s friendly against the Netherlands.

The Bosman ruling was about international transfers in the EU. It was made by the ECJ over freedom of movement of workers in the EU. It ended clubs owning rights to players even when their contracts were over and made quotas on EU players illegal. I don't think the actual ruling applied to transfers within a country (e.g. Arsenal to Man Utd), but the ruling was adopted by UEFA and I find it hard to believe that clubs would be able to get back ownership over out of contract players under English law. The quota bans would apply in still apply UEFA competitions and I doubt the clubs would want such restrictions. It was the Bosman ruling that ended the CL three foreigner rule which hurt United because of their Scottish, Welsh and Irish players.

I don't think it mandatory in world football (i.e. with FIFA). Some South American players seem to be owned by agents. But most transfers to top players involve EU clubs. There are some messy cases with third party ownership which we don't allow but Portugal and Spain do. FIFA might have done something since Tevez but it is probably half-baked.

Third party ownership has been banned by FIFA. I don't know how strictly it is enforced, though.

How imposing this national player quota should benefit the EMNT is also a bit unclear to me. How would matching inferior English players against other inferior English players really improve the national team?

This is a genuine shame. I'm not a fan of professional athletes getting injured, especially after they have worked so hard to return to fitness and form.

But hahahahahahaha! As we all sang when he hobbled off at the Lane for Bournemouth: "it's happened again, it's happened again. Jaaaaack Wheelchair, it's happened again!"

Such a shame it happened .................. in training.

Russia is a subject that annoys me.

If they killed someone over here its bad news, they have already have their diplomats being sent home and on a political side things are tense, so how can the World Cup be looked at without that in mind? I don't understand. On Newsnight they are talking, maybe OTT but talking about a new cold war and Russia are making threats of some kind, yet when we talk about the World Cup its almost as if football is untouchable.

TO be honest Russia should never have been awarded the World Cup and the place is mental, I would not want us to go and feel its a good statement to the world not going. People are too sh1t scared to make such bold moves though.

As for Boris comments he has a huge point, lets get it straight he didnt say Russia are Nazis he said the world cup would be like the Nazi Olympics in that the coverage would paint a picture of something thats not true and he is right

The time isn't now - it was years ago because of the corruption of the bid, the annexation of Crimea, the state sponsored drugs programme and the state sponsored football violence.

It can't be unilateral; we at least need the support of another football heavyweight

And it has to be both Russia and Qatar that are boycott, and a rival tournament setup outside FIFA jurisdiction

Back