• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

Largely expected. No real surprises apart from the inclusion of Livermore - but I'm really happy for him and Defoe all the same. I wonder if he imagined he'd ever get another England call-up when that unfortunate storm broke over his drug use following his personal tragedy - similarly, I wonder if Defoe thought he'd get back into the national side at the age of 34.

Good lads, and it'll be a big boost for both of them - shows that anything is still possible even with setbacks and the advance of the years. I've seen some of our fans on Twitter getting a bit annoyed that Winks wasn't included while Livermore was, but come on - you can't have anything against Livermore, and Winks has only had a single cap for the U-21s (iirc) to date. He needs to work his way into the setup, the same as it is for any player not called Rooney or involved with Manchester United/Liverpool.

U21 - Winks
U20 - KWP & Onomah
U19 - Edwards & Whiteman
U18 - Samuel Shashoua, Japhet Tanganga & Jon Dinzeyi
U17 - TJ Eyoma & Tashan Oakley-Boothe

First I've heard of the latter two called up for the U18s - what's the lowdown on Tanganga and Dinzeyi?

First I've heard of the latter two called up for the U18s - what's the lowdown on Tanganga and Dinzeyi?
Do we know whether Sterling has opted for England or Jamaica? He's already notched 8 in 14 appearances for our Youth this season and scored a beauty against Chelsea in the FA Youth Cup SF on Tuesday night.

Do we know whether Sterling has opted for England or Jamaica? He's already notched 8 in 14 appearances for our Youth this season and scored a beauty against Chelsea in the FA Youth Cup SF on Tuesday night.

Again, a question for savants like @Yoof, not me. :p I figure he has time to decide either way, although I'm as non-plussed by his apparent exclusion from the England setup as you are (didn't notice it until you pointed it out, though).

Again, a question for savants like @Yoof, not me. :p I figure he has time to decide either way, although I'm as non-plussed by his apparent exclusion from the England setup as you are (didn't notice it until you pointed it out, though).
Just seen he's down as a former England U18 international. So now he's too old for the U18s and considered not good enough for the U19s.:eek:

Last edited:
Maybe @Yoof could help us out? Mate, know anything about Tanganga or Dinzeyi?

Both CBs, Tanganga is promising, Dinzeyi not so much imo.

Sterling would play for England but he's just not being picked at the moment, he last played at the U17 World Cup where he was in and out of the line up. He's still playing catch-up a little bit as he's spent a lot of time out injured, there's only two strikers in the U19s squad so he'll probably feel a little disappointed not to make it.

Nothing against Defoe - but is it really the way we want to go?

Have we got no younger players in the wings?

Tammy Abrahams?

It's a game against Lithuania and a friendly - perfect time to try a youngster

Much as I like Defoe and appreciate the goals he got for us this is possibly one of the worse selection for England for many years. I know we are short of decent options at the moment but to go back to a 34 year old who has never cut it at the international level is stupid. England will never play to his strengths and I don't think he's not the sort of player that can pass on much to young players as a lot of his play is instinctive. Hope I'm wrong, I don't have the answer to the problem and I'm certain the Greed League and their members couldn't give a toss, there's always some bloke on the continent they can get rather than develop one at home.

Much as I like Defoe and appreciate the goals he got for us this is possibly one of the worse selection for England for many years. I know we are short of decent options at the moment but to go back to a 34 year old who has never cut it at the international level is stupid. England will never play to his strengths and I don't think he's not the sort of player that can pass on much to young players as a lot of his play is instinctive. Hope I'm wrong, I don't have the answer to the problem and I'm certain the Greed League and their members couldn't give a toss, there's always some bloke on the continent they can get rather than develop one at home.

One of the most instinctive strikers in the league still at 34 and as for England he has 19 goals as a bit part player which I see as far from "not cutting it". At of players would take that international career.

I am personally chuffed for him, he does it consistently against better players than some that feature for Chile.

Unfortunately most of those goals came against also rans and in friendlies. I'm not saying he wasn't a great goal scorer but he like Ian Wright not good enough at the top level.

The problem is the FA, the Media, the Fans, and the man on the Clapham omnibus have deluded themselves into think we have good players, we haven't.

The best manager in the world (who he?) could not get the present crop of players available into a winning side playing good football, you can't make bricks without straw!

Disagree completely, and that's why England fail, England may not have the talent of certain other teams, but failing against Iceland is not a result of lack of quality.

The issue is
- too many players that have no common link re style/technical ability/common formation
- England has no system/style, do you play fast/slow, long/short, 4-4-2, wtf? no one knows
- Players chosen on name, even if out of form, just off injury, etc.

England badly needs a modern coach with a philosophy and style, pick players on merit and if they fit that style, and build a team that leverages what English players/PL have lots of, physicality and pace.

Personally, I'd pick a young team, with that physical/pace emphasis and focus on being more comfortable with ball and using counter attack against bigger sides.

One of the most instinctive strikers in the league still at 34 and as for England he has 19 goals as a bit part player which I see as far from "not cutting it". At of players would take that international career.

99.99% of professional footballers would take that international career without a second look. It's a good record for someone like him - the classic poacher in the big-man/little-man combination in a 4-4-2, who had to adapt as the game changed and that style rapidly fell out of favour even as he was growing into it. There are players who never could adapt to the game's evolution and thus fell behind even as he was making a name for himself - see Bent for an example of this. He had all the tools in his locker to be a great lone frontman - quick, reasonably strong, tall, a decent physical unit who allied pace with decent (although by no means outstanding) technical skills. But he never adapted to the game, remaining the quintessential poacher, and he had a career somewhat inferior to Jermain's as a result of it.

Last edited:
Too easily dismissed by some who fail to use the same set of KPIs on other players and vice versa.

His goal record for us and in his entire career is up there with some of the best

99.99% of professional footballers would take that international career without a second look. It's a good record for someone like him - the classic poacher in the big-man/little-man combination in a 4-4-2, who had to adapt as the game changed and that style rapidly fell out of favour even as he was growing into it. There are players who never could adapt to the game's evolution and thus fell behind even as he was making a name for himself - see Bent for an example of this. He had all the tools in his locker to be a great lone frontman - quick, reasonably strong, tall, a decent physical unit who allied pace with decent (although by no means outstanding) technical skills. But he never adapted to the game, remaining the quintessential poacher, and he had a career somewhat inferior to Jermain's as a result of it.

And no understanding of the offside law.

Back