• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Erik Lamela - Official

I don't think he needs to build himself up as massively as Bale, who said that he gained too much muscle for a while and it actually impacted his pace. However, Lamela's a bit too lanky to go the Messi/Aguero Argentine route where they have massive legs and low centers of gravity, so I think he should look to Ronaldo, who had a pretty similar build as a teenager and the same kind of "dancing" style on the ball. Ronaldo has built himself up into an athletic GHod who has remained insanely fast and agile while having just enough strength to brush off challenges, though you hear his work ethic re: his body is pretty insane so Lamela has to be really committed.

Ronaldo is the greatest football specimen of all time. Lamela would do a pretty good job to getting anywhere near that peak. He should definitely look to that though, or van Persie who I feel he is closer too in terms of bodytype at that age.

She's talking more physique than ability - Ronaldo, although in ridiculous shape, isn't at a level which someone with enough time and dedication couldn't achieve

In fact that gif for me makes him look ridiculously shy. Wait until everyone leaves then sort of half **** it :lol:

He looks like someone to me who has ALOT to say but just doesnt want to, like everytime he got fouled against Villa or linesman made a wrong decision, you could see Lamela wanted to say something but just not doing so.

I imagine it's tough when only one of your teammates speaks the same language as you. :lol:

But seriously, to me it looks like he's the second youngest player in the squad who just came in on a club record transfer fee and is trying not to step on the toes of any of the veterans or draw too much attention to himself until he earns it. Opinion, of course.

In fact that gif for me makes him look ridiculously shy. Wait until everyone leaves then sort of half **** it :lol:

He looks like someone to me who has ALOT to say but just doesnt want to, like everytime he got fouled against Villa or linesman made a wrong decision, you could see Lamela wanted to say something but just not doing so.

Maybe he realised they wouldn't understand him.

If he bulks up too much he will lose his agility, mobility and as a result some of his dazzling trickery.. Sometimes a bit lanky is good.

I don't think he needs to build himself up as massively as Bale, who said that he gained too much muscle for a while and it actually impacted his pace. However, Lamela's a bit too lanky to go the Messi/Aguero Argentine route where they have massive legs and low centers of gravity, so I think he should look to Ronaldo, who had a pretty similar build as a teenager and the same kind of "dancing" style on the ball. Ronaldo has built himself up into an athletic GHod who has remained insanely fast and agile while having just enough strength to brush off challenges, though you hear his work ethic re: his body is pretty insane so Lamela has to be really committed.

Interesting observations.

AVBs going to be able to speak Spanish and is say he can communictae quite well with the Brazilians. The languages are similar.

If he bulks up too much he will lose his agility, mobility and as a result some of his dazzling trickery.. Sometimes a bit lanky is good.

That's what I mean by Ronaldo - he's still amazingly agile and quick-footed, he's just also strong enough to run with the ball without getting brushed off.

Though Ronaldo is probably blessed with rare physical gifts, I think plenty of slight physiques are doing well here - I mean, I don't think Mata, Oscar, Coutinho etc are the strongest kids on the block even in the shortarse-with-treetrunks-for-legs sense that Argentina seems to produce all the time, it's more about thinking quickly and moving the ball so quickly the challenges don't have time to get in, or at least drawing fouls.

I do think strikers and dribblers are more dependent on acceleration and being able to fend off challenges than playmakers/passers, who are more reliant on their brains and nimble feet. However, Lamela doesn't appear to be a head-down, run-fast dribbler at all - he's been a more than willing passer and very aware both on and off the ball (just look at that soft scooped ball through Villa's CBs he delicately lifted first-time that laid on a *perfect* volley opportunity for either Kane or Defoe in the first few minutes of the game ... Eriksen-esque ;) ). His goals at Roma have come more from clever runs than solo goals after dribbling through five defenders.

I think in the Villa game, it was more that he was getting tired in that second half so he started dwelling on the ball a little, and I don't think that's surprising given how poor a preseason Roma fans said he had and his relative lack of defensive duties at Roma; the amount of pressing he has to do now under AVB is probably pretty novel and a shock to his system (hell, our own players took half a season to figure it out ... we didn't stop shipping late goals until the turn of the year :lol:).

Last edited:

That's what I mean by Ronaldo - he's still amazingly agile and quick-footed, he's just also strong enough to run with the ball without getting brushed off.

Though Ronaldo is probably blessed with rare physical gifts, I think plenty of slight physiques are doing well here - I mean, I don't think Mata, Oscar, Coutinho etc are the strongest kids on the block even in the shortarse-with-treetrunks-for-legs sense that Argentina seems to produce all the time, it's more about thinking quickly and moving the ball so quickly the challenges don't have time to get in, or at least drawing fouls.

I do think strikers and dribblers are more dependent on acceleration and being able to fend off challenges than playmakers/passers, who are more reliant on their brains and nimble feet. However, Lamela doesn't appear to be a head-down, run-fast dribbler at all - he's been a more than willing passer and very aware both on and off the ball (just look at that soft scooped ball through Villa's CBs he delicately lifted first-time that laid on a *perfect* volley opportunity for either Kane or Defoe in the first few minutes of the game ... Eriksen-esque ;) ). His goals at Roma have come more from clever runs than solo goals after dribbling through five defenders.

I think in the Villa game, it was more that he was getting tired in that second half so he started dwelling on the ball a little, and I don't think that's surprising given how poor a preseason Roma fans said he had and his relative lack of defensive duties at Roma; the amount of pressing he has to do now under AVB is probably pretty novel and a shock to his system (hell, our own players took half a season to figure it out ... we didn't stop shipping late goals until the turn of the year :lol:).

Fine points well made. :)

AVB mentioned that Lamela will struggle to adapt in England because he doesn't speak any English. If so, then we should be helping Lamela learn English like how Real are helping Bale learn Spanish. After spending 30m on Lamela, surely we should be doing everything to make him successful at Spurs.

Traditionally, we are very poor when it comes to nurturing young non-British talents. In fact, can't remember any non-British players age 21 and below ever going on to become established players at Spurs. Still disappointed Dos Santos became another failure at Spurs. Maybe we didn't know how to nurture them on and off-the field before. But can see some positive changes since AVB took over with players like Holtby beginning to do well. Hope AVB will be able to nurture Lamela into a world class player like Bale.

Dos Santos failure had everything to do with him and nothing to do with Spurs.

You know this for a fact to you? What a load of hog-wash.

Considering he failed to make it in Spain in multiple tries, and has effectively fallen out with the Mexican national team as well over his extremely poor work ethic and eating habits ... yeah, I'd say it's pretty close to a fact.

The things that stunted GDS career are much more personal than professional.

Please explain his success at Racing Santander, Mallorca and Villarreal then? Not to mention his exceptional international performances?

Harry ****ed him over pretty bad, that's how I see it..

Please explain his success at Racing Santander, Mallorca and Villarreal then? Not to mention his exceptional international performances?

Harry ****ed him over pretty bad, that's how I see it..

He hasn't really been a success at any of those clubs? And given our ability to bring on young players either into the first team or give them decent transfer moves, a lot of the blame has to lie at Gio's door.

He's scored three in his first four games at Villarreal.. :ross:

he came to Spurs as a 19 year old kid. Expectations were big but it didnt quite work out for a variety of reasons He is now 24 or 25 so yes its about time he started fulfilling his potential. GDS didnt make it in England, its no big deal. Many others, young and old, have failed to settle in England and English football. Maybe Spanish football and culture suits him better

Back