• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Erik Lamela - Official

I assume Lamela is building up fitness and adapting to the pace of the game here. I want to see him starting sooner rather than later though.

I would suggest consider playing Townsend on the left, and encourage him to go down the line and whip the ball in with his left foot

Last edited:

Just some early thoughts on him, but does anyone else think that we may end up converting Lamela to being a central striker? Sure, he's fast and likes to run with the ball so you'd think of having him on the wing, but if the best attribute he displayed at Roma was his finishing, and the fact that he's quite one-footed from what I've seen meaning he'll become more predictable to defend against as a winger, perhaps he'd do better playing off the shoulder of the last defender in the middle. He is tall enough to be able to win headers from a winger that delivers into the box too.

Another reason to do so is because of Townsend. He may be irritating some of you now, but if he has the right coaching, improves his decision making and shows dedication to his game then he could become an immense player. It's rare to find players with level of pace combined with good ball control, dribbling ability and power in his strikes, we should be looking to harness this talent and if we can play him and Lamela in the same team it could be awesome to watch.

I think Townsend is much more suited to coming off the bench late in games or when we are in need of a goal or something special. It's quite amazing we are doing the opposite right now :lol: Townsend did deserve his place in the side, give Lamela the start against Villa and we'll go from there.

I think we have things the right way round atm. Townsend knows this league, he has electric pace and will be able to outrun most defenders whether they're tired or not. Lamela on the other hand is new to the league and has come from a footballing culture where less pressure is applied to the ball carrier, while also being a bit of a playmaker. There is far less point in throwing a pacey hit-and-hope player (who needs as many minute as possible to develop) on at the end of a game when you could introduce Lamela. Space had opened up and the opposition were physically weaker, giving Lamela a head start he would not have been afforded had he been thrown in at the deep end and given a start.

I agree he should start at Villa and if he is looking dangerous maybe be withdrawn at 60 in preparation for Chelsea. Not sure how comfortable I would be with Sig, Eriksen and Lamela behind Soldado though, seems to lack a bit of pace and willingness to take the defence on. So as well as I think Sig is doing it may have to be him/Lamela and Chadli/Townsend/Lennon for the two wide spots against the blue scum.

Just some early thoughts on him, but does anyone else think that we may end up converting Lamela to being a central striker? Sure, he's fast and likes to run with the ball so you'd think of having him on the wing, but if the best attribute he displayed at Roma was his finishing, and the fact that he's quite one-footed from what I've seen meaning he'll become more predictable to defend against as a winger, perhaps he'd do better playing off the shoulder of the last defender in the middle. He is tall enough to be able to win headers from a winger that delivers into the box too.

Another reason to do so is because of Townsend. He may be irritating some of you now, but if he has the right coaching, improves his decision making and shows dedication to his game then he could become an immense player. It's rare to find players with level of pace combined with good ball control, dribbling ability and power in his strikes, we should be looking to harness this talent and if we can play him and Lamela in the same team it could be awesome to watch.

Nope.

Although he does remind me of an early RVP (who played on the wing anyway).

I heard he has very little grasp of the English language atm - so maybe it'll be worth keeping that in mind when appraising him for a while.

Although im happy enough with his start so far - think he'll go from strength to strength

No, I don't see that happening.

But Lamela doesn't have to play at striker in order to play with Townsend at the same time. I'd really like to see Townsend on the left and Lamela on the right with Eriksen or Holtby in the middle. Townsend favors his left but he is fairly two-footed. His crosses in from the left would be quality and he would likely not fire off as many wasteful shots with his right foot.

Townsend already plays on the right.

And yet I have seen him play on the left in the Europa Cup a few seasons ago, and he scored from the left flank that evening, so what you are saying is not true.

No, I don't see that happening.

But Lamela doesn't have to play at striker in order to play with Townsend at the same time. I'd really like to see Townsend on the left and Lamela on the right with Eriksen or Holtby in the middle. Townsend favors his left but he is fairly two-footed. His crosses in from the left would be quality and he would likely not fire off as many wasteful shots with his right foot.
+

My point exactly

I assume Lamela is building up fitness and adapting to the pace of the game here. I want to see him starting sooner rather than later though.

Me too. He's made 3 sub appearances in the league now and looked bright plus the start he had in the Europa League. I want Lamela to be starting against Chelsea.

What are you basing this on? Just his goalscoring record last season, or?

To me he seems very well suited to an attacking midfielder role, either cutting inside from the right or in the hole behind a striker. His close control, eye for a pass, movement, dribbling, creativity...

I feel quite certain we won't move Lamela anywhere to accommodate Townsend.

We broke our transfer record 3 times this summer, the last two of those was Soldado and Lamela. We're not going to drop our second most expensive player ever to play our most expensive player ever out of position/in a new position in order to fit a youngster into the side in what is just one of the positions he can play.

Jaysus, in all the excitement I completely forgot that Erik won the 50/50 header that fed Holtby in lead up to the goal. Good work that man.

And yet I have seen him play on the left in the Europa Cup a few seasons ago, and he scored from the left flank that evening, so what you are saying is not true.

What?

Your original post said we should play him on the right, so I said he already plays on the right ... which he does. Now you edited the post two hours later to say we should play him on the left.

Some of the criticism here of Townsend is ridiculous IMO, it smacks of trying to be football hipsters, as if we have somehow become too good for a pacey, direct dribbler to be utilised in our team.

Don't get me wrong, Lamela is going to be sensational. He will be a superstar. His touch, awareness and decision making are excellent. Particularly for such a young player. With AVBs coaching he will be world class. But some are already raving as if every little the guy does is amazing and perfect. I can't imagine the type of roasting Townsend would have gotten had he wasted the ball from the left that Lamela did, in a good position hitting the first man. Or when Lamela tried to dribble in from the right and made absolutely no impression on his markers, and lost the ball. Of course I'm being ridiculously harsh on Lamela there, but I swear if it was Townsend, he would have gotten almighty stick.

Here is a youth product who is putting in some great stats each game. Most of the time he gets the highest number of completed dribbles per week in the league. He can actually contribute well to our passing game on the edge of the box. He faces his man up, let's Walker take his position and can play neat one twos with the others in field. So he shoots! So ****ing what! News flash! It's his job! He has a good shot, and soon the goals are going to come. We can't expect Bale esque shots out of him everytime already though. The guy has played a few games this season, won a penalty against Swansea, was the standout player setting up two and scoring a long ranger in the Europa. Contributed to us looking dangerous against Norwich and helped drive us forward today. He beats players for fun, his pace is electric and his touch is class.

Stunned at the hipsters writing him off because he isn't the subtle playmaking type. He's been crucial to our shape so far.

Some of the criticism here of Townsend is ridiculous IMO, it smacks of trying to be football hipsters, as if we have somehow become too good for a pacey, direct dribbler to be utilised in our team.

Don't get me wrong, Lamela is going to be sensational. He will be a superstar. His touch, awareness and decision making are excellent. Particularly for such a young player. With AVBs coaching he will be world class. But some are already raving as if every little the guy does is amazing and perfect. I can't imagine the type of roasting Townsend would have gotten had he wasted the ball from the left that Lamela did, in a good position hitting the first man. Or when Lamela tried to dribble in from the right and made absolutely no impression on his markers, and lost the ball. Of course I'm being ridiculously harsh on Lamela there, but I swear if it was Townsend, he would have gotten almighty stick.

Here is a youth product who is putting in some great stats each game. Most of the time he gets the highest number of completed dribbles per week in the league. He can actually contribute well to our passing game on the edge of the box. He faces his man up, let's Walker take his position and can play neat one twos with the others in field. So he shoots! So ****ing what! News flash! It's his job! He has a good shot, and soon the goals are going to come. We can't expect Bale esque shots out of him everytime already though. The guy has played a few games this season, won a penalty against Swansea, was the standout player setting up two and scoring a long ranger in the Europa. Contributed to us looking dangerous against Norwich and helped drive us forward today. He beats players for fun, his pace is electric and his touch is class.

Stunned at the hipsters writing him off because he isn't the subtle playmaking type. He's been crucial to our shape so far.

Did some outstanding things today. The way he picks it up and turns and runs is so impressive. Proud of Townsend

Did some outstanding things today. The way he picks it up and turns and runs is so impressive. Proud of Townsend

You knows it.

I feel like he just needs to take a final step up in terms of belief and confidence, and then the goals will flow. Not that he isn't confident, because he gets involved in the team play and is willing to shoot, which is great to see. People should realise that he shoots a lot because he works the space for a shot well enough to go for it. Not any player can do that.

But I feel like he needs to take the step up from being 'Andros Townsend: getting a chance back from a loan spell and eager to impress' to 'Andros Townsend: top 4 player' because once that happens, he will be more productive in obvious terms. If he truly believes he is that player then he will truly believe he will score every time the ball leaves his boot but that will only come experience. Few players are there immediately. Bale had to work through the stages to where he is now, and Townsend will too.

His progression has been rapid though. He's already gone from random youngster on loan spells, to scoring in early round cup fixtures, to impressing in Europa league to being a Premier League regular. I totally think he can get there because he has the ****iness of a top player, it just needs to become intrinsic to him and I think it will. I think he will usurp Lennon, who won't suit our shape.

Is there any chance that we can stop comparing Townsend directly to Lamela?

It's a bit silly at this point. One is a £30m full Argentinian international that's been considered a starlet for years. The other is also young, but at a completely different level of his development.

Nicely put and accurate.

Is there any chance that we can stop comparing Townsend directly to Lamela?

It's a bit silly at this point. One is a £30m full Argentinian international that's been considered a starlet for years. The other is also young, but at a completely different level of his development.

+1

They're both also clearly different styles of player, can't we just be glad that we have variety and depth?

Back