• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

You refused to see it at the time, I doubt time has made you look any more favourably on that type of player.

I've just checked the stats from ESPN FC, Eriksen had twice as many assists as Lamela during the first 3/4 months of that season where he "carried us" and Kane scored 11 premier league goals.

I've just checked the stats from ESPN FC, Eriksen had twice as many assists as Lamela during the first 3/4 months of that season where he "carried us" and Kane scored 11 premier league goals.
Maybe 3/4 months was a bit long, but certainly the first two, and throughout our European matches. He also led our pressing game, was the player we relied on to break the lines, etc.

Look, it's ok to prefer English style players and to judge someone because they look after their appearance - English football fans have been doing it forever. But it's not really on to dress it up as that player being poor when he clearly is one of our most influential players when fit.

The whole assists thing gets tiresome. You can create without providing the final ball. Lamela is one of our better players at pressing, tackling and skills/ability to by pass a player.

He wasn't always amazing for us but before his injury he was doing as much as anyone from a creative point of view. We will be better for him being back in the first team squad, especially once he hears the support from the crowd.

Maybe 3/4 months was a bit long, but certainly the first two, and throughout our European matches. He also led our pressing game, was the player we relied on to break the lines, etc.

Look, it's ok to prefer English style players and to judge someone because they look after their appearance - English football fans have been doing it forever. But it's not really on to dress it up as that player being poor when he clearly is one of our most influential players when fit.

I don’t prefer English style players at all or judge them by their appearance. For example, doesn’t bother me that Toby spends all his money on hair gel and has loads of tatts, he’s our best defender and we clearly miss him when he’s out of the side. Nor does it bother me that Trippier looks like a crack addict at times. I’ve never said Lamela was “poor” but I don’t agree that he’s one of our most influential players either. Eriksen, Kane, Son and Alli are all more influential from an attacking point of view than Lamela in my opinion.

I don’t prefer English style players at all or judge them by their appearance. For example, doesn’t bother me that Toby spends all his money on hair gel and has loads of tatts, he’s our best defender and we clearly miss him when he’s out of the side. Nor does it bother me that Trippier looks like a crack addict at times. I’ve never said Lamela was “poor” but I don’t agree that he’s one of our most influential players either. Eriksen, Kane, Son and Alli are all more influential from an attacking point of view than Lamela in my opinion.
The difference he offers to Son is his “Pressing” from the front which we do miss in some games although he also has a tendency to be wreckless and earn himself a few yellow cards. He is also a more creative passer than Son imo. But Son out does Lamela on pace, running at players and of course importantly scoring especially out of nothing. They are both important players and it is good to have Lamela to increase our options from the bench. But for me when fit he does not start ahead of Eriksen or Dele unless we are resting them. He certainly isn’t the Messi type player that some on here would have us believe; we miss Wanyama and Toby more. Plus I don’t understand the reference to “English style” players when speaking about Lamela. Are they actually meaning Wanyama and Dembele? They are both more important than Lamela.

Last edited:
The difference he offers to Son is his “Pressing” from the front which we do miss in some games although he also has a tendency to be wreckless and earn himself a few yellow cards. He is also a more creative passer than Son imo. But Son out does Lamela on pace, running at players and of course importantly scoring especially out of nothing. They are both important players and it is good to have Lamela to increase our options from the bench. But for me when fit he does not start ahead of Eriksen or Dele unless we are resting them. He certainly isn’t the Messi type player that some on here would have us believe; we miss Wanyama and Toby more. Plus I don’t understand the reference to “English style” players when speaking about Lamela. Are they actually meaning Wanyama and Dembele? They are both more important than Lamela.

Lamela's quick passing and creativity could have made the difference from the bench against WBA. Llorente is yet to be an actual difference maker for us from the bench this season. Admittedly in only 8 sub appearances and total of only 112 minutes. We haven't been able use Llorente's strengths to our advantage. Having the option of moving Eriksen into a more creative midfield role and Lamela into the team would have been a better option had he been fit. He works in our system, he plays well in our system.

Some people talk more about Lamela than about Wanyama and Alderweireld. I think that's because he would have been more likely to change a point against WBA into a win than those two. In that way - scoring, assisting and contributing to our attacking play he's missed more than those two. Our other options for Lamela (Sissoko, Llorente, GKN) aren't delivering. Our other options for Wanyama and Alderweireld do deliver at a high level.

There are some who are convinced both that Lamela is some kind of pansy because of the way he looks/plays and that that sort of player cannot succeed in the PL.

They're the same kind of people who don't/didn't rate Christiano Ronaldo as highly as they should for similar reasons.

Lamela's quick passing and creativity could have made the difference from the bench against WBA. Llorente is yet to be an actual difference maker for us from the bench this season. Admittedly in only 8 sub appearances and total of only 112 minutes. We haven't been able use Llorente's strengths to our advantage. Having the option of moving Eriksen into a more creative midfield role and Lamela into the team would have been a better option had he been fit. He works in our system, he plays well in our system.

Some people talk more about Lamela than about Wanyama and Alderweireld. I think that's because he would have been more likely to change a point against WBA into a win than those two. In that way - scoring, assisting and contributing to our attacking play he's missed more than those two. Our other options for Lamela (Sissoko, Llorente, GKN) aren't delivering. Our other options for Wanyama and Alderweireld do deliver at a high level.

Will definitely be pleased to see him back as an additional option. Would also like to see Rose back in the first 11, his drive can carry us through games. Long term Injuries have really hit us hard over the last two seasons which underlines how good a coach Poch is to have kept us up there challenging.

wondering how many games Lamela has started when alongside both Alli and Eriksen? Trying to think of the times he's combined with Alli to good effect and can't think of too many??

wondering how many games Lamela has started when alongside both Alli and Eriksen? Trying to think of the times he's combined with Alli to good effect and can't think of too many??

Quite a lot through 15-16 season

Lamela (33 starts), Alli (35 starts) and Eriksen (40 starts), tended to feature ahead of Chadli (19 starts), Townsend (3 starts) and Njie (2 starts)

Back