• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

No chance. Will be good to have him back but let’s not overstate his importance to us. Poch would be a fool to change the formation to accommodate Lamela. He’s needs to show he can fit into the formations Poch employs. Alli, Son and Eriksen are all far more important than Lamela.

I think Pochettino picks his formation based on the players available rather than vice versa, so there's every chance that if Lamela proves himself in training Pochettino will look for a way to include him in the team - either swapping him straight in for a similar player or adapting the formation.

Same as it is for any player in the squad I should imagine.

No chance. Will be good to have him back but let’s not overstate his importance to us. Poch would be a fool to change the formation to accommodate Lamela. He’s needs to show he can fit into the formations Poch employs. Alli, Son and Eriksen are all far more important than Lamela.

He was playing in a team that changes formation. Just look at Sanchez. I also think to say lamela is right up their in terms of importance.

He was playing in a team that changes formation. Just look at Sanchez. I also think to say lamela is right up their in terms of importance.

Sanchez is a different kettle of fish. He has adapted to the PL remarkably well and looks like a special player (early days I know but so far he looks like the real deal). Even on Saturday when the rest of the team were seriously below par, he was one of the best players in the pitch.

Lamela whilst being a good player doesn’t fall into that category in my opinion. I could name at least 7 or 8 players who are more important than Lamela. That doesn’t mean to say that can’t change of course but right now he has to prove his fitness and play at a very high level for Poch to alter the formation just to fit him in.

Sanchez is a different kettle of fish. He has adapted to the PL remarkably well and looks like a special player (early days I know but so far he looks like the real deal). Even on Saturday when the rest of the team were seriously below par, he was one of the best players in the pitch.

Lamela whilst being a good player doesn’t fall into that category in my opinion. I could name at least 7 or 8 players who are more important than Lamela. That doesn’t mean to say that can’t change of course but right now he has to prove his fitness and play at a very high level for Poch to alter the formation just to fit him in.

Not just to fit him in. When teams sit back and invite pressure I think two holding midfield players are a waste.

Whenever he comes back - whenever he overcomes the demons in his head - I dearly, dearly hope he gets a raucous welcome from the crowd.

He's been out a long time, and his confidence is probably at rock bottom. A bit of noise whenever he's put on would probably be immensely appreciated - and I hope he gets it.

Whenever he comes back - whenever he overcomes the demons in his head - I dearly, dearly hope he gets a raucous welcome from the crowd.

He's been out a long time, and his confidence is probably at rock bottom. A bit of noise whenever he's put on would probably be immensely appreciated - and I hope he gets it.

I'd honestly be surprised if he didn't receive a standing ovation when he comes on (if he comes on as a sub, that is). And hopefully the Lamela-song will do its rounds as well. I think pretty much every Spurs-fan know how long he's been out and that it's been tough for him. If Danny Rose got a great reception when he came back (after what he said), I can't imagine Lamela not receiving a great reception. It would be madness if he didn't!

Lamela close to Tottenham return

Tottenham v West Brom (Saturday, 15:00 GMT)

090b5b10-437a-467b-9fa1-16808ae8d27c.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur

Mauricio Pochettino is the first of our news conferences today and he says that winger Erik Lamela, who has been out for 13 months with hip injuries, is close to a return.

"We are waiting, now it is down to him to get the right feeling to say 'I am here to be available if you want', says Pochettino.

"He is training, doing well, but after one year it is how he is feeling."

Whoa! Doubt the likes of Kane, Dele, Winks and Son will be too happy reading that. They run their fudging socks off chasing lost causes up top every game. And if you watched the BVB game you surely cannot have failed to notice the number of times opponents were harried off the ball in the middle of the park after being surrounded and hounded by two or three in white shirts? It's one big reason why we managed to turn the tide back in our favour.

Saying that, I'll readily acknowledge that Lamela as the arch presser so no doubt he would give the whole side a boost on that front.

Against BVB the pressing was better but it's not been as good as it has been in previous seasons. We've done it a little ad-hoc this season and generally not pressed altogether which will lead to it breaking down.

I think as an unused sub would be one way of easing him back in.

I think he'd be better getting minutes for the U23's than sitting on the bench and not coming on, he could do that in midweek instead and then get minutes next weekend.

I think he'd be better getting minutes for the U23's than sitting on the bench and not coming on, he could do that in midweek instead and then get minutes next weekend.
Physically yes, but mentally being involved in a match day squad may be more beneficial to him at this point.

Erik Lamela can provide qualities in the final third which Tottenham have been missing, says Mauricio Pochettino

The Spurs manager could not put an exact date on Lamela's return but has talked up his countryman's talents

Mauricio Pochettino says Erik Lamela can give Tottenham Hotspur the “one v one individual quality” that the team sometimes requires to break down deep opposition, when he eventually returns to play. The Spurs boss still could not put an exact date on when his Argentine compatriot will come back after over a year out with a hip injury, stating that the player needs to feel he’s “fully recovered”, but spoke about the specific qualities he will restore to the side.

The issue has been one of the undercurrents to Pochettino’s overarching development of the side. Spurs are no longer just the relentless high-pressing side they were in their first title challenge of 2015-16, when they would occasionally “crash” – as the manager put it – into stubborn defensives, as he has worked hard to add more variety and flexibility to their game. Pochettino has sought to ensure all players could perform in two positions, and they can now be as counter-attacking as they can proactive, having also added the aerial option of Fernando Llorente up front. One of the few facets missing has been a bit of unpredictability in tight games, but the manager feels Lamela can offer that.

“If we're playing against teams like [Crystal] Palace, Swansea [City] or Burnley that are playing a lot deeper, you don't need pace you need quality, good individual quality, one v one,” Pochettino said. “Like Lamela, that can break one v one, because every single action is building, building, building.

“If you have pace you can be stopped with the wall and you crash. You need good quality and capacity to drive, an individual like Lamela can bring that quality to the team.

“To be dynamic, or to have players with high tempo, doesn't mean that they have to run fast. If we wanted players to run fast we'd sign Usain Bolt or these types of players. That is different. What I wanted to say was that we needed to increase our tempos within the games, not players with more pace.

“Sometimes we need more capacity like we talked before players that have the capacity that when the players are deeper they have the ability to beat the opponent in a short space. It's difficult.”

Asked whether Lamela could come in for the weekend against a West Brom side who are expected to sit deep themselves, Pochettino said: “He needs to feel that he's fully recovered. He needs to feel that he is available again, I think that it is his feeling [he needs] now. At the moment he is training again, the other day he played 60 minutes [for the under-23s] but he still has some doubts that make him to be cautious about the step up, to be available again for us.”

Pochettino meanwhile indicated that 22-year-old Georges-Kevin N’Koudou has to develop more before he can fill that role.

“Yes, but we are waiting for him still. He is not... you know today he is not showing this condition to play. He needs to show more. But you know if a player is not involved too much it's because we believe that they need to show more to deserve to play.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ettino-tottenham-hotspur-injury-a8072596.html

------------------------------------------------------

It is clear Pochettino rates Lamela highly. Just wish Lamela can get back soon after his 1 year injury problems.

Lamela could easily play as 1 of the 3 CM in a 3-5-2, as one of front 3 in 3-4-3, or even CM in that formation.
Lamela is not a CM. He's am AM, so seeing him in the no. 10 role would be more likely. That being said, we've seen players played in positions we didn't expect them to, so who knows.

Back