• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

He actually played really well. More in the number 10 role, but best I've seen him play in the last 12 months. Not saying much I know!

So can anyone figure out why he's getting consistently picked for Argentina, given his lacklustre performances with us? It's not like they don't have a million players to choose from.

So can anyone figure out why he's getting consistently picked for Argentina, given his lacklustre performances with us? It's not like they don't have a million players to choose from.

Frankly, Argentina don't have many in-form players now. Most of their players only excel at club levels but struggle when it comes to playing for the national team. Even Messi has not showed his true form for Argentina. If he had, they would have won the WC 2014 and Copa 2015 by now.

Frankly, Argentina don't have many in-form players now. Most of their players only excel at club levels but struggle when it comes to playing for the national team. Even Messi has not showed his true form for Argentina. If he had, they would have won the WC 2014 and Copa 2015 by now.
So you're saying that Lamela, although crap at club level, is in form when playing for the national team? A la Townsend? If that's the case, we need to do something to get these guys to click at club level too.

So you're saying that Lamela, although crap at club level, is in form when playing for the national team? A la Townsend? If that's the case, we need to do something to get these guys to click at club level too.

I mean, Argentina are not exactly in good form now. As such, they had to randomly choose all the decent players to see who can fit well into the national team. Remember, Lamela has 13 caps for Argentina, with 1 goal. That goal was a wonder goal against Germany ! Maybe if they had picked Lamela against Germany in the WC 2014 Final, they would have won the World Cup !

It's the alchemy factor at work again. Argentina aren't as good as Barcelona, so Messi looks less of a player, but they're better than Spurs, so Lamela looks better than he does here.

It's the alchemy factor at work again. Argentina aren't as good as Barcelona, so Messi looks less of a player, but they're better than Spurs, so Lamela looks better than he does here.

Alternatively the type of play of international football - especially in South America - is very much more in synch with Lamela's style... as opposed to the intensely frenetic and physical premier league - by which his own father's admission - he is unable to cope to terms with.

Perhaps someone "turned" his head, he couldn't handle the fame or he got big-headed after playing for Barcelona. :rolleyes:

Lamela might be more of a system player than we thought. The Spurs system is definitely one he doesnt play well in (unless it is against minnows). I wonder why?

Actually he is not getting consistently picked for Argentina, he hardly played during the Copa America. This match was just a friendly not an important WC qualifier

I think Argentina still pick him because they know he's a very good player but he's lost his confidence. The pace of International football is slower which is suited more to his game.

On youtube his video from the 2012/13 season at Roma he's a different player, from watching that you can understand why we paid 30m. If given time and space he is a very affective player. You dont get that in the premier league and I think its been a hard lesson for him to learn( I thought towards the end of last season it had finally clicked with him) add the price tag and his age and I think its been to much for him to handle. We our now left with a player who would struggle to get into most Championship sides.

I want him to do well but I think it all comes down to him, if he still wants it, him maturing as a player having that inner belief. I would give him 5 games in the under 21's and tell him do the basics and build from there.

I think the crowd has just started to turn on him, which wont help at all

The crowd are not turning on him, they are just showing their frustration in a £30m player who is not good enough for this league.

*Man stabs a random person on the street, killing him* .. "I didn't mean to kill him, I was just testing to see if my knife was sharp."

Instead of showing frustration, why don't we show encouragement instead?

I think Argentina still pick him because they know he's a very good player but he's lost his confidence. The pace of International football is slower which is suited more to his game.

On youtube his video from the 2012/13 season at Roma he's a different player, from watching that you can understand why we paid 30m. If given time and space he is a very affective player. You dont get that in the premier league and I think its been a hard lesson for him to learn( I thought towards the end of last season it had finally clicked with him) add the price tag and his age and I think its been to much for him to handle. We our now left with a player who would struggle to get into most Championship sides.

I want him to do well but I think it all comes down to him, if he still wants it, him maturing as a player having that inner belief. I would give him 5 games in the under 21's and tell him do the basics and build from there.

I think the crowd has just started to turn on him, which wont help at all

What about that YouTube video impressed you?

Back