• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

A shire horse who worked well with Modric and freed him up to run the midfield. We outgrew him after his first season, but trying to argue that he was anything other than a very effective player for us in his first season is cobblers.
Other players who "worked well with Modric and freed him up to run the midfield":

Jermaine Jenas
Didier Zokora
Tom Huddlestone
Jamie O'Hara
Wilson Palacios
Jake Livermore
Sandro

Some good and some terrible players in there - the only consistent factor was Modric. Parker fulfilled the role of being in midfield and not being in Modric's way, imagine if we'd had someone who could be in midfield, not be in Modric's way and have a positive effect on our attacking play.

Other players who "worked well with Modric and freed him up to run the midfield":

Jermaine Jenas
Didier Zokora
Tom Huddlestone
Jamie O'Hara
Wilson Palacios
Jake Livermore
Sandro

Some good and some terrible players in there - the only consistent factor was Modric. Parker fulfilled the role of being in midfield and not being in Modric's way, imagine if we'd had someone who could be in midfield, not be in Modric's way and have a positive effect on our attacking play.

I'm not saying he was a world beater, he had his limitations and the game has moved on so he was rightfully sold in the end, but our members and ST holders, the ones who attend every game felt he was good enough to vote for him as player of the season so he can't have been bad/average as you make out.

Parker was a good player and performed a vital role in our (very attacking) team. Suggesting anything else is rewriting history. He might not have been fashionable or flashy or had an exotic foreign name, but he knew his job and he did it well. I think we would look a far better team now with a Parker style platform to play upon. Hopefully Dier can become as good a central midfielder as Parker was.

To get this post back on thread however.... Lamela - why is he still here?... I assume because we couldn't find anyone who wanted him? (and I'm not really surprised about that as he is a poor player with an awful technique).

I'm not saying he was a world beater, he had his limitations and the game has moved on so he was rightfully sold in the end, but our members and ST holders, the ones who attend every game felt he was good enough to vote for him as player of the season so he can't have been bad/average as you make out.
Those same people voted Kyle Walker the best right back this club has ever had. Ever.

He was the human embodiment of a shire horse

Surprised to hear you be so negative about him for someone who likes stats (like me).

Only two midfielders that season had (ever so slightly) more combined tackles and interceptions than Parker - and they played for Sunderland and QPR, who both had far more opportunities to win the ball back (because they had far less possession). So Parker was the very best player in the league at winning possession back that season.

Whatever you think of his impact on our attacking play, don't you think he had a positive impact on us defensively? And given that he had 5 more attacking players in front of him (not least Modric who excelled at getting the ball forward from midfield), don't you think that was enough to say that he had a positive impact on the team overall?

Surprised to hear you be so negative about him for someone who likes stats (like me).

Only two midfielders that season had (ever so slightly) more combined tackles and interceptions than Parker - and they played for Sunderland and QPR, who both had far more opportunities to win the ball back (because they had far less possession). So Parker was the very best player in the league at winning possession back that season.
He tackled far more than an intelligent or modern player would have. His style was much like Carragher's - look good on MOTD because they see clips of him flying into tackles. A more cultured player would mark up in a way that would stop the initial pass or get an interception.

Whatever you think of his impact on our attacking play, don't you think he had a positive impact on us defensively? And given that he had 5 more attacking players in front of him (not least Modric who excelled at getting the ball forward from midfield), don't you think that was enough to say that he had a positive impact on the team overall?
I don't doubt his defensive prowess, his ability to throw himself into a tackle was second to none.

Unfortunately his inability to read the game meant we couldn't transition anywhere near as well as a team with that attacking ability should have.

He was very good at what he did but that wasn't what that team needed. We needed a Carrick, not a Mascherano.

Even without his special moves of running with the ball at one of our players until they're tightly marked before firing the ball at them from 5 yards, or spinning in circles just behind the halfway line, he was always going to hinder our overall play.

could this be Lamela's Bale like Forest moment?.............so nearly sent out on loan but wasnt and went onto really perform for us

probably not:)

could this be Lamela's Bale like Forest moment?.............so nearly sent out on loan but wasnt and went onto really perform for us

probably not:)

One can only hope...

tumblr_lnk2eeEM2n1qafrh6.gif

confidence - he is a kid and as many others have found, spurs is not a club for the mentally weak. We have our fair share of muppets in the crowd.

Was at the stoke game and some were making ludicrous comments before he even got on the ball.

I think Lamela can make it. Its up to poch to make it click for him.

Problem is i think we already have his replacements brought

i do agree. Confidence ruins everything in a human right down to how they breathe

the thing is that......i was hoping that by now he would have realised that the main difference between him and some others is simply that they get in the box

just back to basics. first ..get into the party, get in the box..see what happens..you never know...the ball might land at your feet

Why the fudge are we discussing Scott 'Pirouette' Parker in an Eric Lamela thread?

Just to highlight the way our perceptions cloud our judgement and perceptions of players. So Lamela apparently deserves to start because it is unfair to promote the newbies above him in the pecking order before they even started to train. However for Parker to have been dismissed even before he signed the dotted line was apparently fine because he was a dinosaur whose style was now extinct... only to have that same style then compared to Mascherano, who would probably walk into an team in the world... style or no style.

At the end of the day, all it shows is that we all have our favourite players who we form an attachment to, sometimes (if not, most of the time) relatively irrationally based more on hope and expectations than rational argument. We then use every trick in the book (including often selective use of stats) to convince ourselves that we are right. I don't think this should be surprising because after all, that is exactly how we choose the team we decide to support.

So at the end of the day, some posters will continue to live in hope and see the (?occasional) assists, rabonas or key pass as justification for their support of the player and others will look at the plodding, ineffective dribbles and lack of goals in the rest of his play as equally persuasive arguments for dissing the lad.

And - as we saw for Soldado - this will not resolve itself until something dramatic happens... either he does a wordlie and wins us a game against a top 4 club single handedly or else does a Soldado vs Fiorentina and makes a blunder so monstrous that defending him will be impossible, even for his most ardent backers.

Just to highlight the way our perceptions cloud our judgement and perceptions of players. So Lamela apparently deserves to start because it is unfair to promote the newbies above him in the pecking order before they even started to train. However for Parker to have been dismissed even before he signed the dotted line was apparently fine because he was a dinosaur whose style was now extinct... only to have that same style then compared to Mascherano, who would probably walk into an team in the world... style or no style.

At the end of the day, all it shows is that we all have our favourite players who we form an attachment to, sometimes (if not, most of the time) relatively irrationally based more on hope and expectations than rational argument. We then use every trick in the book (including often selective use of stats) to convince ourselves that we are right. I don't think this should be surprising because after all, that is exactly how we choose the team we decide to support.

So at the end of the day, some posters will continue to live in hope and see the (?occasional) assists, rabonas or key pass as justification for their support of the player and others will look at the plodding, ineffective dribbles and lack of goals in the rest of his play as equally persuasive arguments for dissing the lad.

And - as we saw for Soldado - this will not resolve itself until something dramatic happens... either he does a wordlie and wins us a game against a top 4 club single handedly or else does a Soldado vs Fiorentina and makes a blunder so monstrous that defending him will be impossible, even for his most ardent backers.

Good post IMO

can't argue with much there. Even the people against your point have to admit that the fundamental conclusion is kind of true

we all have our favourites. and we treat them differently than others then try to justify it with reasoning..sometimes we have good ammo to hide behind , but other times we desperately try to find something to excuse the player...something we most likely ripped into someone else for using for their own favourite player etc etc

the cycle continues

He tackled far more than an intelligent or modern player would have. His style was much like Carragher's - look good on MOTD because they see clips of him flying into tackles. A more cultured player would mark up in a way that would stop the initial pass or get an interception.

I don't doubt his defensive prowess, his ability to throw himself into a tackle was second to none.

Unfortunately his inability to read the game meant we couldn't transition anywhere near as well as a team with that attacking ability should have.

He was very good at what he did but that wasn't what that team needed. We needed a Carrick, not a Mascherano.

Even without his special moves of running with the ball at one of our players until they're tightly marked before firing the ball at them from 5 yards, or spinning in circles just behind the halfway line, he was always going to hinder our overall play.

Well he also had the third most interceptions (per game) in the league that season - behind only Cattermole and Petrov (who both had far less possession), and ahead of Carrick.

Also his tackling stats were very similar to Schneiderlin's are (always top 3 in tackles) - who I think virtually everyone sees as a modern player.

No doubt Parker wasn't as accomplished on the ball as Carrick or Schneiderlin are, but given that we had Modric - one of the best players in the world at orchestrating things from central midfield - I don't see how that can logically be seen as a huge need (comparatively speaking) for Parker's role.

Sure we would probably have finished with more points with Carrick in the team than Parker, but that's because Carrick's a brilliant player who is hard for a team like us to come by (very good with and without possession).

Anyway, we're probably not far apart in our analysis of Parker's traits as a player - I just think it's harsh / inaccurate to then seemingly conclude that he was of little worth (or even of negative worth) to us that season.

A lot of truth and sense in that post.

Back