• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Bale was a kid when he signed for us and by the time bale was lamellas age and experience he was miles ahead of him like for like

Lamella was a fully fledged international coming to play in his third country and was 4 years older in his first season

A better comparison would be Acimovic maybe or possibly Dumtrescu if you watched us a while back and are old enough

I do remember both players indeed; grim times in terms of Acimovic; Dumitrescu was world class before he came to us and maybe that is more a comparison.
Go, that Acimovic time makes you appreciate how far we've come (perhaps also how frustrated some may be if they feel we are making mistakes - or not capitalising on good positions we have - that could lead to the return to those days:eek:)

I do remember both players indeed; grim times in terms of Acimovic; Dumitrescu was world class before he came to us and maybe that is more a comparison.
Go, that Acimovic time makes you appreciate how far we've come (perhaps also how frustrated some may be if they feel we are making mistakes - or not capitalising on good positions we have - that could lead to the return to those days:eek:)

Both were technically string creative players who just didn't settle or click

Both struck me as being shy types and players who maybe didn't have the confidence in themselves too

I remember going to Fulham away on a Monday night about 4 games in and they're were playing at Loftus Road at the time

We were one nil up and cruising with chant of we are top of the league ... Then Acimovic missed a sitter from under the bar and we lost or drew

He was never given the slack by the fans after that and just hid when on the pitch (something you can't say lamella does)

Dumitrescu was blessed with everything other than a manager who wanted to play defenders in Ossie any man who signed Kevin Scott clergy couldnt identify a defensive player although Calderwood worked out ok.

I see Lamella being a typical foreign player that just works out in some leagues and not others. A move would be bets for us and him if we can recoup some of the fee which at the time I thought was fair

Both were technically string creative players who just didn't settle or click

Both struck me as being shy types and players who maybe didn't have the confidence in themselves too

I remember going to Fulham away on a Monday night about 4 games in and they're were playing at Loftus Road at the time

We were one nil up and cruising with chant of we are top of the league ... Then Acimovic missed a sitter from under the bar and we lost or drew

He was never given the slack by the fans after that and just hid when on the pitch (something you can't say lamella does)

Dumitrescu was blessed with everything other than a manager who wanted to play defenders in Ossie any man who signed Kevin Scott clergy couldnt identify a defensive player although Calderwood worked out ok.

I see Lamella being a typical foreign player that just works out in some leagues and not others. A move would be bets for us and him if we can recoup some of the fee which at the time I thought was fair

I remember our 3-2 loss at Fulham, after being 2-0 up; Aug/Sept 2002 i beleive. Yuck! I think the miss under the bar was the return game at WHL the followng Feb/March (when we really should have lost again). We do seem to have a knack of having players (particularly signed from overseas) who have such sliding doors moments in a negative confidence sort of way. I bet we could make an 11 in the PL-era alone.

I honestly feel Lamela will ride out his big trough right now and at least leave with his stock back to where it was when he signed for us. He works harder than most of the previous 'fancy dans' we've signed and i just hope now we have a bigger pool to choose from he doesn't suffer from being in a position where he has to be played due to having little option and can come back into the team slowly and show his worth.
Here's me hoping anyway...

The Acimovic miss was a 0-0 draw at the Lane iirc. Shocking miss at the far post from about a yard out.

Dumitrescu was a CM.

Alternatively the type of play of international football - especially in South America - is very much more in synch with Lamela's style... as opposed to the intensely frenetic and physical premier league - by which his own father's admission - he is unable to cope to terms with.

Messi notwithstanding, I take it.

Dumitrescu had it all. However , his attitude was hopeless and that IIRC was why he was let go to Wet Spam. Six months after coming to London, he was still living in a motel and he loved the tinkle and ciggies from what I remember.

The Acimovic miss was a 0-0 draw at the Lane iirc. Shocking miss at the far post from about a yard out.

Dumitrescu was a CM.

Dumitrescu was a wide left player when I saw him

The other Romanian Popescu was a centre mid

And he did miss the one under the bar at the Fukham game... It wasn't the only time

I do; much like i thought Bale would at that time.

Just to be sure, i'm not saying Lamela is or will be as good as Bale, but at this point in their careers with Spurs they have both been similarly underwhelming; Some may say Bale more so (if we disregard the price tag). I know Lamela is older than Bale was when he joined us, but unlike Bale he had a history of good play in a (relatively) top league.

Bale turned it around later in his third season with us; i think it's fair to give Lamela the chance to do the same
Disgree. When Bale first came into the team under Jol he was absolutely brilliant. Lamela has never been absolutely brilliant for us. Bale was also only 17 when he came to us and still had a lot of growing to do physically. Lamela was already fully physically developed.

Reactions: DTA
Dumitrescu had it all. However , his attitude was hopeless and that IIRC was why he was let go to Wet Spam. Six months after coming to London, he was still living in a motel and he loved the tinkle and ciggies from what I remember.
Dumitrescu could only beat a player on the left. After a few games I think the opposition knew that and were ready for it.

Acimmovic clearly had some talent (he was certainly far better technically than Lamela) but I think was too much of a fairy to get used to the English game. His confidence also seemed to be completely destroyed after missing that open goal.

He was a winger you are confusing him with Popescu

No I'm. It Gheorge 'Gica' Popescu was a defensive midfielder. Ilie Dumitrescu also play centrally and was more attack minded.

I've just dug out my programmes from 94/95 to settle this!

No I'm. It Gheorge 'Gica' Popescu was a defensive midfielder. Ilie Dumitrescu also play centrally and was more attack minded.

He played as a winger for us, I remember being at Ipswich for one of his first games ( we won 3-1and he scored one of the goals) and he run them ragged on the flank. I remember saying to my lad that we had another Waddle. Pity it never turned out that way.

Sorry mate you're just wrong on this one! Dumitrescu played wide left in every single game he played for us! He was part of the famous five, dumitrescu left, Barmby central, anderton right, with teddy and Juergen up top. We were, as you can imagine with that line up, unplayable at times but also wide open at the back.

I remember going to Ipswich away 3 games in to the season and dumitrescu just tore the Ipswich right back a new one, we won 3-0 and were singing about winning the league we were that good, hot off the back of beating Wednesday away in the opening game and being the better team against Utd at home but eventually losing 1-0 I think. It kind of went down hill from there that season unfortunately, until Gerry came in.

Sorry mate you're just wrong on this one! Dumitrescu played wide left in every single game he played for us! He was part of the famous five, dumitrescu left, Barmby central, anderton right, with teddy and Juergen up top. We were, as you can imagine with that line up, unplayable at times but also wide open at the back.

I remember going to Ipswich away 3 games in to the season and dumitrescu just tore the Ipswich right back a new one, we won 3-0 and were singing about winning the league we were that good, hot off the back of beating Wednesday away in the opening game and being the better team against Utd at home but eventually losing 1-0 I think. It kind of went down hill from there that season unfortunately, until Gerry came in.

Fair enough just not how I remember it.

I know Rosenthal played wide left a fair bit in 1994/95. Not saying Dumitrescu didn't play left, I'm sure he did, just I remember him more central. Anyways.....

Back