• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

A lot of the moans about Lamela in this thread regarding his lack of tackling ability and trying tekkers in the wrong places could be cured by moving him into the number 10 slot (if we persist with this formation). There he can press and harry the opponent but the absolute need to defend is lessened. There would also be fewer defenders ahead of him when he gets the ball which has to help. He just seems to attract defenders like flies on....um.. food, but beating a man might further up the pitch, which is a strength of his contrary to popular belief, would lead to more end product in terms of shots and 'key' passes.

The link that dates from October? And includes Europa and League Cup games against inferior opposition? What has he actually done in the PL? A couple of assists against an appallingly bad QPR side? Besides, I don't just judge on statistics, I judge on what I see week in week out.

Your faith is making you blind.

As an atheist that is more than slightly fond of a good faith debate your "Lamelaism faith" points are ironically up there with the arguments by analogy and ad hominems religious apologists are so fond of.

3 goals and 6 assists a third of the way in to what is effectively his first season, according to link in the post above yours. Id call that a positive effect on games

Effectively first season? I love this phrase. No, it is his second season. I dont go interviewing an employee, making him an offer then give him a two year probation on a five year contract. If I do then there is something seriously wrong with the recruitment process and questions need to be asked.

Also just to point out, his performances in the EL far outweigh the calibre of performances in the PL which back up alot of peoples views that he just isnt suited to this league and not alot to do with the settling in period within our team.

If I had the time I'd knock up a "Lamela gives the ball away... again!" video. It would be very lengthy and would illustrate why I don't rate him whatsoever. His Roma videos don't impress me that much to be honest.

I really do hope the faith in the Divine Eric is validated and he goes on to becomes a great player who we sell to Real Madrid for £50 million. I just don't see it unfortunately, but like I said to the Jehovas Witnesses who came to my door the other day, I respect your beliefs and am happy you find solace in them.

Last edited:
Effectively first season? I love this phrase. No, it is his second season. I dont go interviewing an employee, making him an offer then give him a two year probation on a five year contract. If I do then there is something seriously wrong with the recruitment process and questions need to be asked.

Also just to point out, his performances in the EL far outweigh the calibre of performances in the PL which back up alot of peoples views that he just isnt suited to this league and not alot to do with the settling in period within our team.

The standard of the EL is so poor that we can qualify with a game in hand changing our team every game!!!

It's not a tournament to judge anyone on until the knock out round at least

My issues with Lamella are that when he plays we generally don't... We have had one good game vs Sunderland when he played and we still didn't take maximum points, plus we beat an awful QPR side.

We never looked like winning in Sunday with him on the pitch and it's takes all 11 players to make a team but one player can stop it functioning. I'm not saying it's intentional but the way he plays it's as if we carry him as an extra limb. He has offered so little positive contribution it's scary, yet he keeps on getting chances. He actually makes eriksen look a poor player somehow when he is on

We can't afford to write off the money and hey we won at the weekend so it's a positive message. Were kinda stuck with him really and we have to hope for the best.

What I will add (and I've said this a lot in this thread) was that I saw him play for Roma in with wide right wing forward role (not the number 10) and he looked great. Slightly greedy but he looked fast, tricky and dynamic. I've seen none of that in a spurs shirt and I've seen even less to suggest we can play him at 10

He made 3 Premier League starts last season due to whatever issues it was he had with AVB and him being out injured for half the season after Sherwood took over.

Of course it's his second season, but it being "effectively his first season" is a reasonable description of his situation.

If you hire an employee that 3-4 weeks after starting takes a year off on maternity leave or because of illness and then after returning is described as "effectively in their first year in the job" it's hardly some shocking unacceptable description.

Or it backs up peoples view that he has potential but is taking time to adapt to the requirements of the league...

Not really one for work based comparrisons as they seldom stand up to scrutiny, especially in this case as players, in this context, are an asset rather than an employee - and a player that misses the majority of his first season should not really have it held against him, so yes id consider this his first real season as it the first chance he has had to have a run in the league.

If I had the time I'd knock up a "Lamela gives the ball away... again!" video. It would be very lengthy and would illustrate why I don't rate him whatsoever. His Roma videos don't impress me that much to be honest.

I really do hope the faith in the Divine Eric is validated and he goes on to becomes a great player who we sell to Real Madrid for £50 million. I just don't see it unfortunately, but like I said to the Jehovas Witnesses who came to my door the other day, I respect your beliefs and am happy you find solace in them.

The only belief i have is that you give everyone a fair crack of the whip, which in this instance would at least be until the end of the season. He may have a **** season, where more goes wrong than right and he may well continue to frustrate the hell out of everyone, but he may also take that season and learn from it and come back a much better player for it - stranger things have happened, in fact id say it's probably quite common in football.

Two year probabation? I thought the six months at my company was harsh :)

The only belief i have is that you give everyone a fair crack of the whip, which in this instance would at least be until the end of the season. He may have a **** season, where more goes wrong than right and he may well continue to frustrate the hell out of everyone, but he may also take that season and learn from it and come back a much better player for it - stranger things have happened, in fact id say it's probably quite common in football.

Spot on.

I also think people underestimate just how much confidence matters in football. Look at Liverpool this season compared to last as a quick example. Or at the same club Lallana last season with confidence in a system that worked compared to now. Or for us look at the current vintage Harry Kane, or Walker's development and so on and so on..

Spot on.

I also think people underestimate just how much confidence matters in football. Look at Liverpool this season compared to last as a quick example. Or at the same club Lallana last season with confidence in a system that worked compared to now. Or for us look at the current vintage Harry Kane, or Walker's development and so on and so on..

Your comparing a Liverpool team though who have lost their best player by a mile and also their second best...

Lallana is a relevant example though as he doesn't look the same player

No problem with that. But he's going to have to play better than he is doing now to justify his place in the side. I'm all for the growing pains that we are seeing now in the short term, but he's going to have to play to a reasonably acceptable level and it may depend more upon how the team is playing as a whole. If we continue to struggle to pick up points at home, he may be one of the ones who pays the price. If our form picks up, Poch may decide that we can afford to carry him every now and then for the long term benefit of the team.

Your comparing a Liverpool team though who have lost their best player by a mile and also their second best...

Lallana is a relevant example though as he doesn't look the same player

I was talking about individual players in that team. Players like Henderson and Coutinho that looked excellent when they were flying last season. They had confidence and the team was functioning. Now in a team that isn't quite working and without that extra confidence they look a lot worse.

No problem with that. But he's going to have to play better than he is doing now to justify his place in the side. I'm all for the growing pains that we are seeing now in the short term, but he's going to have to play to a reasonably acceptable level and it may depend more upon how the team is playing as a whole. If we continue to struggle to pick up points at home, he may be one of the ones who pays the price. If our form picks up, Poch may decide that we can afford to carry him every now and then for the long term benefit of the team.

Since you and i last discussed the issue im now of the opinion he deserves a spell on the sidelines, he has got worse over the last few games where before i thought he was generally playing ok. It's when people talk with such finality on him (or any player/manager early in to their time with us) or dismiss any positive contribution or solely focus on the negative that i have a problem.

I will never get my head around why so many supporters seem so eager to write off players/managers.

I was talking about individual players in that team. Players like Henderson and Coutinho that looked excellent when they were flying last season. They had confidence and the team was functioning. Now in a team that isn't quite working and without that extra confidence they look a lot worse.

Henderson I agree on but now their playing him wing back (wtf)
Coutinho even last season hardly played a 90 minute game and simply didn't work hard enough for me (sound familiar)

But I get your point :lol:

Since you and i last discussed the issue im now of the opinion he deserves a spell on the sidelines, he has got worse over the last few games where before i thought he was generally playing ok. It's when people talk with such finality on him (or any player/manager early in to their time with us) or dismiss any positive contribution or solely focus on the negative that i have a problem.

I will never get my head around why so many supporters seem so eager to write off players/managers.

Well I'd say there's been more negative than positive performances, some of the comments are extreme and personal I might add though. I think we've invested too much in him to write him off now, or even in May. I would honestly give him until the end of his contract (I say that knowing he more than likely be sold if he turns out to be the real deal so it may be an oxymoron).

Everyone has a player/manager that they don't rate and are reluctant/completely unwilling to change their mind.

Everyone has a player/manager that they don't rate and are reluctant/completely unwilling to change their mind.

I wouldn't say everyone. Or at least not to the same extent. Some are more objective at the outset and then are also uninhibited by any agenda, vested interest, or adoptive stance.

Last edited:
dear lord, an entire season of potential **** ups and bad performances just so you can let someone settle in?

what are we at spurs , a hostel for victims?

Am all for giving people a chance , but you cant just give someone a place unconditionally just cause you want them to settle in

dear lord, an entire season of potential **** ups and bad performances just so you can let someone settle in?

Am all for giving people a chance , but you cant just give someone a place unconditionally just cause you want them to settle in

We're not the people running the club, making the decisions to sign young players or the ones putting them in the team - we're supporters, so a bit of patience from us and you know, actual SUPPORT wouldn't go a miss is all im saying. I don't think anyone is suggesting an unconditional place in the starting XI all season either, although i definitley think if the people in charge think the short term loss of a player in the team out of sorts is worth the long term gain of having him release his potential having adapted quicker than if he spent the season in the reserves, then we should trust their judgment.

If there was someone worth putting in the team ahead of him I'd agree.

Back