• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I have lost patience with this guy now he just is not good enough, i am sure most people we have for that position will do better.

agreed I have no idea why Chadli isn't starting over him? He has scored 6 goals in the league and generally hasn't been great lately but he always looks a goal threat

agreed I have no idea why Chadli isn't starting over him? He has scored 6 goals in the league and generally hasn't been great lately but he always looks a goal threat

I think its because Lamela works harder off the ball and presses with the team more than Chadli.

I think its because Lamela works harder off the ball and presses with the team more than Chadli.

I like players who work hard - shows a bit of care and passion for the clu but this whole working hard business is such a fallacy and eventually becomes mundane to read. Yes he runs around but generally its because he gives the ball away so much so he has to be seen to be chasing back to get the ball that he gave away in the first place. I cant seem to recall anyone who gives the ball away SO much as he has done. Im all up for players trying new things and if he gives the bal away then fine but giving the ball away should be the exception and not the rule or norm.

You're serious or just trolling for a response?

Trolling. Seriously, lighten up please! It's getting ridiculous the lengths people are going to to defend him. I was just as excited as everyone else when we signed him, but how was yesterday's performance and his league appearances this season in general even remotely good enough? I don't understand why people can't just admit that he's not playing well rather than continually claim he is whilst putting Lennon down on the process.

My post was in response to Modric who seems to believe that putting a few tackles in and working hard erases two red offences and overall poor play. Read the post again, Eriksen and Kane both SCORED but putting in a few tackles and interceptions is worth more?

I like players who work hard - shows a bit of care and passion for the clu but this whole working hard business is such a fallacy and eventually becomes mundane to read. Yes he runs around but generally its because he gives the ball away so much so he has to be seen to be chasing back to get the ball that he gave away in the first place. I cant seem to recall anyone who gives the ball away SO much as he has done. Im all up for players trying new things and if he gives the bal away then fine but giving the ball away should be the exception and not the rule or norm.

I don't actually believe he gives the ball away as much as you make out. He gives the ball away when he tries things to unlock the opposition and then works hard to get the ball back when it doesn't come off. I'd much prefer a player like that in the team than someone who hides by coasting through a match playing simple sideways balls and not trying anything out of the ordinary.

If you don't think Lamela has anything about him then that's fine. I think there is a lot of potential there and that he does actually earn his place in the team more often than not and that he has had some very good performances this season and that his average to poor performances have not been half as bad as people like you make out.

Trolling. Seriously, lighten up please! It's getting ridiculous the lengths people are going to to defend him. I was just as excited as everyone else when we signed him, but how was yesterday's performance and his league appearances this season in general even remotely good enough? I don't understand why people can't just admit that he's not playing well rather than continually claim he is whilst putting Lennon down on the process.

My post was in response to Modric who seems to believe that putting a few tackles in and working hard erases two red offences and overall poor play. Read the post again, Eriksen and Kane both SCORED but putting in a few tackles and interceptions is worth more?

I've read the post several times, I would suggest you do the same. He didn't say what you claimed in your first reply or in this post.

"Worked his **** off. Really good pressing ended up with 3 tackles and 4 interceptions.
Compare that with eriksen 1 of each, soldado none, chadli none, dembele 1 interception, Kane 5 tackles."

All he did was praise is work rate and effort. He compared his tackles and interceptions to other attacking players. He didn't say that it erased overall poor play. He didn't say those tackles and interceptions were worth more than the goals (or assists).

Nor did he in any way shape or form imply that work rate alone was enough to warrant his price tag or that Lamela has so far fulfilled his potential. Or that Lamela has been good enough for us so far.

He praised a Spurs player for working hard and putting effort in...

I don't actually believe he gives the ball away as much as you make out. He gives the ball away when he tries things to unlock the opposition and then works hard to get the ball back when it doesn't come off. I'd much prefer a player like that in the team than someone who hides by coasting through a match playing simple sideways balls and not trying anything out of the ordinary.

If you don't think Lamela has anything about him then that's fine. I think there is a lot of potential there and that he does actually earn his place in the team more often than not and that he has had some very good performances this season and that his average to poor performances have not been half as bad as people like you make out.

Exactly, he's a risk taker. We have enough players who just play it safe and thats fine when we just want to keep possession, but we constantly complain about a lack of creativity and there are only three players who look like can create anything - Kane,Eriksen and Lamela. At the moment more often than not it doesnt happen for him, but its a fine line and I think there's going to be a point where it clicks....

Like you say he hasn't looked particularly good after his injury. Been given chances off the bench and failed to impress.

Poch has been talking about our pressing game. Mason, Bentaleb, Kane, Lennon and Soldado as regular starters has helped us up our pressing and work rate and we've seen some good performances as a result I think. We've also seen Eriksen step up his work rate this season and as the season has progressed he's gone from being one that's subbed to one that stays on the pitch for the full games, in part thanks to him putting in the effort imo.

Lamela fits better into that style than Chadli does at the moment.

I've read the post several times, I would suggest you do the same. He didn't say what you claimed in your first reply or in this post.

"Worked his **** off. Really good pressing ended up with 3 tackles and 4 interceptions.
Compare that with eriksen 1 of each, soldado none, chadli none, dembele 1 interception, Kane 5 tackles."

All he did was praise is work rate and effort. He compared his tackles and interceptions to other attacking players. He didn't say that it erased overall poor play. He didn't say those tackles and interceptions were worth more than the goals (or assists).

Nor did he in any way shape or form imply that work rate alone was enough to warrant his price tag or that Lamela has so far fulfilled his potential. Or that Lamela has been good enough for us so far.

He praised a Spurs player for working hard and putting effort in...

I just didn't see the need to mention Eriksen and Kane who both scored goals if the point of the post was merely to praise Lamela. It read like, he made a few tackles and worked hard so it's fine that he had a stinker and should have been sent off, twice.

I just didn't see the need to mention Eriksen and Kane who both scored goals if the point of the post was merely to praise Lamela. It read like, he made a few tackles and worked hard so it's fine that he had a stinker and should have been sent off, twice.

Never seen a player sent off twice in one game before. That is some hate you have for our young Erik :)

I really think that's you inferring stuff, not him implying stuff.

He also mentioned Kane putting in 5 tackles. Kane is being widely praised for his effort and work rate. But doing so for Lamela all of a sudden is a bad thing?

Like you say he hasn't looked particularly good after his injury. Been given chances off the bench and failed to impress.

Poch has been talking about our pressing game. Mason, Bentaleb, Kane, Lennon and Soldado as regular starters has helped us up our pressing and work rate and we've seen some good performances as a result I think. We've also seen Eriksen step up his work rate this season and as the season has progressed he's gone from being one that's subbed to one that stays on the pitch for the full games, in part thanks to him putting in the effort imo.

Lamela fits better into that style than Chadli does at the moment.

That is where I will disagree with you. Does Lamela run more and track back more than Chadli? Yes but to no real effect. He is more of a headless chicken and he is actually more of a liability to us as was shown with his reckless challenges. I credit Lamela for working hard but again I don't think he is truly helping us defensively any more than Chadli is. On the flip side Chadli has looked far better going forward and is always getting into dangerous positions offensively.

That is where I will disagree with you. Does Lamela run more and track back more than Chadli? Yes but to no real effect. He is more of a headless chicken and he is actually more of a liability to us as was shown with his reckless challenges. I credit Lamela for working hard but again I don't think he is truly helping us defensively any more than Chadli is. On the flip side Chadli has looked far better going forward and is always getting into dangerous positions offensively.

He put in a couple of frustrated challenges. He's a young player and things are not quite happening for him and he was probably a bit frustrated. It's not like he's frequently in danger of getting sent off.

By the way. Anyone have a gif or video of the second clear red card situation? I thought the elbow was bad, but he other one wasn't that bad, but that was kinda in the heat of the moment. Haven't seen it later on.

If he cost a few million off Leeds and all he every did was a bit of defensive work and regressed over 10 years he'd be the new saviour of Tottenham.
Who cares about the fee (26m) we'll get 20m in the summer if we want to sell easily.

Mate you can't be serious with this assessment? We would be lucky to get 10m plus at this point. The only league I can see a club paying decent money for him is in Italy where he had success and almost every club in Italy is skint at the moment

Like I said, I dont mind if its the exception but in Lamelas case its the norm and by norm I mean 80% of the time... It eventually becomes counter productive

Potential yes but, and ill repeat myself here, I dont think he is suited to this league and it will not allow him to bring the best out of him nor reach his potential. Does not mean he is a poor player. He is obviously a player that needs time and space (I still think he needs his own ball)... this league will not give him that.

At which point does potential stop becoming potential? You cant just wait five years and get nothing when you get rid. Ill give him the rest of this season of course, seeing as there isnt much of a choice, but id rather cash in and use that money for more suited players.

He put in a couple of frustrated challenges. He's a young player and things are not quite happening for him and he was probably a bit frustrated. It's not like he's frequently in danger of getting sent off.

By the way. Anyone have a gif or video of the second clear red card situation? I thought the elbow was bad, but he other one wasn't that bad, but that was kinda in the heat of the moment. Haven't seen it later on.
They weren't frustrated challenges - they were cowards challenges.... He was bloody lucky to stay on the pitch. He was also quite lucky against Everton that Baines decided to stay on his feet instead of going down when Lamela (having already been booked for a lunge at Baines) gave him a little kick as he was running through off the ball.

The bloke is a liability with his tackling and gives the ball away in very basic ways about 50% of the times that he receives it.

Seeing as Lamela seemed to be highly regarded in Italy, perhaps we could use him in some sort of swap deal for another player from there (and then hope that this one is a better player) Inter Milan perhaps and Icardi?

Exactly, he's a risk taker. We have enough players who just play it safe and thats fine when we just want to keep possession, but we constantly complain about a lack of creativity and there are only three players who look like can create anything - Kane,Eriksen and Lamela. At the moment more often than not it doesnt happen for him, but its a fine line and I think there's going to be a point where it clicks....

He creates things when he is 30/40 yards out has his heads up and looks to play it early. unfortunately most of the time he tries to best men in the wrong areas and loses the ball after a simple pass becomes blocked after he decided to roll his studs over the ball for the 5th time. Seriously frustrating player but if he doesn't realise that he hasn't got the core strength and skills to beat teams like he did in italy, then it will be a very long season for him.

He looks decent in Europe but against any good team or in the PL he looks off the pace and a liability. Still think he can come good but he should be dropped and reintegrated as a sub to build his confidence back up with shorter spells when perhaps we are winning. He also needs to go back to basics and stop with the ridiculous skills that never come off

Back