• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Lamela in the PL is not even showing glimpses of a 30 million player. If we had got him for 10 million it would be one thing but he cost 3 times that. I think that is what bothers alot on here. He is losing value every time he play on the big stage. Clearly he has stamina and fight but doesn't seem to dribble very well, only beats a man when he cuts in and then normally runs in to someone. His own frustrations with his performances are showing by him nearly getting sent off a few times. I have been a huge Lamela defender but honestly am not sure anymore. I hope he proves me wrong.

Lamela in the PL is not even showing glimpses of a 30 million player. If we had got him for 10 million it would be one thing but he cost 3 times that. I think that is what bothers alot on here. He is losing value every time he play on the big stage. Clearly he has stamina and fight but doesn't seem to dribble very well, only beats a man when he cuts in and then normally runs in to someone. His own frustrations with his performances are showing by him nearly getting sent off a few times. I have been a huge Lamela defender but honestly am not sure anymore. I hope he proves me wrong.

But the fee isn't his fault is it? Judge the player not the fee. What's the point of holding him to being a £30m player and then going OTT and claiming that the guy can't even play football?

All fans of other teams can see his potential, they might laugh at the fee, but they appreciate there is at the very least a tidy player there with potential. Very raw, however.

Africanspurs is right, once you just remove the fact that he cost £30m from your thoughts, you can actually see the potential of the player.

He isn't losing value every game, as you full well know football doesn't work like that. His age, reputation and performances in the Europa League will be enough to keep his value around what we paid for him.

He does dribble well, its just that he tries too much. He just needs to learn to use his ability to draw a foul, or beat ONE man (not two) and release the ball quickly.

What i'm can't fathom out he's played a lot of football now,and he's still doing the same things,that's not producing any results,he comes inside a lot,he hangs onto the ball alot and doesn't play the simple ball,how many times has naughton,dier,davies or rose have been plenty of space in front of them and he tries some fecking nut meg on some player and it fails,these defenders are out of position by now and are stranded.

Why hasn't someone on Poch's coaching team sat him down watched some vt and said to him how to bring in our defenders into the game, when he has the ball,play it simple,take the opposition defenders on,draw in a tackle,get to the by line(like he did in the QPR game-which he hasn't done that at all since).

I feel they should get Ginola in and teach him how to be an attacking player.

But the fee isn't his fault is it? Judge the player not the fee. What's the point of holding him to being a £30m player and then going OTT and claiming that the guy can't even play football?

All fans of other teams can see his potential, they might laugh at the fee, but they appreciate there is at the very least a tidy player there with potential. Very raw, however.

Africanspurs is right, once you just remove the fact that he cost £30m from your thoughts, you can actually see the potential of the player.

He isn't losing value every game, as you full well know football doesn't work like that. His age, reputation and performances in the Europa League will be enough to keep his value around what we paid for him.

He does dribble well, its just that he tries too much. He just needs to learn to use his ability to draw a foul, or beat ONE man (not two) and release the ball quickly.
That's the thing though.... I don't see the potential. I see a player who runs around a lot and puts a lot of effort in but shows very little quality indeed. A player who gives away free kicks because he is a poor tackler. A player who always tries to beat his opponent on the left side (and usually fails) a player who tends to give the ball away with his passing and also gives the ball away on most occasions when he dribbles.

I want Lamela to be successful for Spurs more than anything (not least because otherwise we've chucked £26 million down the swanney) but I simply am not seeing this 'potential' that others are. To me he just looks out of place on the pitch. If he were a cheap/youth player I think most would've written him off as being not good enough. From what I have seen he is a poorer player than Andros Townsend.

Personally I would have Lennon in ahead of Lamela in every single PL game that Lennon is fit for, however if the manager really doesn't want us to play with any width as seems the case then I think he has to play Townsend ahead of Lamela.

That's the thing though.... I don't see the potential. I see a player who runs around a lot and puts a lot of effort in but shows very little quality indeed. A player who gives away free kicks because he is a poor tackler. A player who always tries to beat his opponent on the left side (and usually fails) a player who tends to give the ball away with his passing and also gives the ball away on most occasions when he dribbles.

I want Lamela to be successful for Spurs more than anything (not least because otherwise we've chucked £26 million down the swanney) but I simply am not seeing this 'potential' that others are. To me he just looks out of place on the pitch. If he were a cheap/youth player I think most would've written him off as being not good enough. From what I have seen he is a poorer player than Andros Townsend.

Personally I would have Lennon in ahead of Lamela in every single PL game that Lennon is fit for, however if the manager really doesn't want us to play with any width as seems the case then I think he has to play Townsend ahead of Lamela.
Do you not think that he has good technique? I agree that it is not coming off for him at the moment but when people talk about potential, I think that they are saying that he is skillful and did well for Roma in his last season.

Do you not think that he has good technique? I agree that it is not coming off for him at the moment but when people talk about potential, I think that they are saying that he is skillful and did well for Roma in his last season.

Players with good technique don't lose the ball as often as he does with simple passes going array or trying a trick that ends up with him running into a defender

Let me think of some specific people within football that disagree with you. Baldini (twice), Pochettino and Argentinian national team coaches (who have a decent amount of competition for places).

Not only would I take their word over yours I would take their word over my own. I think you should consider that perhaps, on this, you're wrong.

I get that people are frustrated and think that he should do better. To some extent I even get that people think he might not fit our style of play or this league, thought I disagree. I get that people had high hopes and that he hasn't delivered, although I think patience is in order. I don't think focusing on the price is particularly helpful at this point, but I get that people are still upset with the amount of money we've spent without getting results.

What I cannot for the life of me understand as a serious opinion is that he doesn't even have potential.

Players with good technique don't lose the ball as often as he does with simple passes going array or trying a trick that ends up with him running into a defender

players with poor or even average technique don't score the goal like he did, or kill the ball like he can do, or dribble like he sometimes does do, or indeed play some of the passes he has done. Like I said, people like to try and make a point by pretending the guy can't even play football. It's like they can't even acknowledge that he has any ability whatsoever, because he cost £30m.

Creative players lose the ball a lot. Ginola used to lose the ball a lot.

Rewatched the first 15 minutes to see what all the fuss was about.

00.30 Lamela challenges Taylor for the ball. Swansea get a throw in.

01.00 Intercepts pass to Bony and wins back ball.

01.20 Makes a tackle just outside our box and wins back ball.

01.50 In a tight spot out wide he hits the ball straight at Montero (?) and we get a throw in.

02.30 Kane overhits a pass to Walker, who has to chase after it. Lamela goes for it and we win a freekick. That freekick is headed behind for a corner that we score from.

04.00 Lamela wins back the ball, plays quick one-two with Kane before running in centrally with it. Lays it off to Eriksen.

04.50 Walker with a poor pass. Lamela, under pressure from a Swansea player, can only kick it out for a throw in.

08.10 Pass towards Bony comes straight to Walker. Passes to Mason, who gives it to Lamela with 3 Swansea players closing in on him. Gives it back to Mason, who loses it. Swansea struggle to get it under control and it ends up with Walker who attempts a through ball, but hits it straight at Williams.

09.10 Long kick from Lloris towards Kane. The Swansea player is probably the one who gets his head to it, but Lamela picks it up. Plays one-two with Mason, passes to Soldado who hits it straight to a Swansea player. Lamela wins it back, passes to Mason, who under a bit of pressure pokes it to Bentaleb, who kicks it all the way back to Lloris.

10.40 Tottenham throw in ends with Kane getting shoved and kicked by Williams. Swansea player out by the corner flag tries to clear it, but hits Walker. As Walker runs after it, Lamela tries to block of another Swansea player, while halfheartedly sticking out a foot before deciding to let Walker go for it. It goes to a Swansea player and they attempt a counter attack that Bentaleb intercepts.

11.50 Cross from Moreno that is headed out by Fazio. Lamela chests it down, takes a touch and releases Kane down the right.

12.20 Walker to Lamela to Bentaleb

12.30 Eriksen to Lamela, who tries to run at the Swansea defense, but is crowded out and loses the ball.

13.45 Mason to Lamela and back to Mason

15.20 Mason rushes towards Taylor, who goes past him. Passes towards Bony, who is tackled by Vertonghen. Lamela picks up the loose ball and passes back to Fazio.

I bet that if I keep watching it will just be more of the same, with every positive involvement largely ignored for a handful of ball losses.

Good technique in what way?.... Yes he can roll his foot over the ball, but that doesn't seem to translate to an ability to beat a player. He is also very weak on his right hand side (hence why he always comes inside). He doesn't seem to control the ball quickly, he also misplaces passes quite regularly. I agree that he must've shown something in Italy in order for us to have paid so much money for him, but I simply haven't seen anything in games for Spurs that makes me think he is a good player. Most on here are willing to completely write off Paulinho as a player and yet I think I have seen more potential in him in a Spurs shirt than I have from Lamela.

01.50 In a tight spot out wide he hits the ball straight at Montero (?) and we get a throw in.

02.30 Kane overhits a pass to Walker, who has to chase after it. Lamela goes for it and we win a freekick. That freekick is headed behind for a corner that we score from.

04.00 Lamela wins back the ball, plays quick one-two with Kane before running in centrally with it. Lays it off to Eriksen.

04.50 Walker with a poor pass. Lamela, under pressure from a Swansea player, can only kick it out for a throw in.

08.10 Pass towards Bony comes straight to Walker. Passes to Mason, who gives it to Lamela with 3 Swansea players closing in on him. Gives it back to Mason, who loses it. Swansea struggle to get it under control and it ends up with Walker who attempts a through ball, but hits it straight at Williams.

09.10 Long kick from Lloris towards Kane. The Swansea player is probably the one who gets his head to it, but Lamela picks it up. Plays one-two with Mason, passes to Soldado who hits it straight to a Swansea player. Lamela wins it back, passes to Mason, who under a bit of pressure pokes it to Bentaleb, who kicks it all the way back to Lloris.

10.40 Tottenham throw in ends with Kane getting shoved and kicked by Williams. Swansea player out by the corner flag tries to clear it, but hits Walker. As Walker runs after it, Lamela tries to block of another Swansea player, while halfheartedly sticking out a foot before deciding to let Walker go for it. It goes to a Swansea player and they attempt a counter attack that Bentaleb intercepts.

11.50 Cross from Moreno that is headed out by Fazio. Lamela chests it down, takes a touch and releases Kane down the right.

12.30 Eriksen to Lamela, who tries to run at the Swansea defense, but is crowded out and loses the ball.

15.20 Mason rushes towards Taylor, who goes past him. Passes towards Bony, who is tackled by Vertonghen. Lamela picks up the loose ball and passes back to Fazio.

I bet that if I keep watching it will just be more of the same, with every positive involvement largely ignored for a handful of ball losses.

DOn't see the point of that you can do that for every player on the pitch but how are sideways passes positive involvements. we bought him for the something special which he isn't providing

Doesn't surprise me, from what Ive seen of him he is an extremely fit person who gets about the pitch well and is ideal for Poch's concept of pressing.

He looks to be creative often - beat a man, try that incisive pass - meaning he's taking risks more than most and as a result loses the ball more often than most if not all of the rest of the team. But Im not convinced its to the extent many would have you believe on here....

The OMT was filled with posts complaining about him constantly losing the ball and not doing anything useful.

Good technique in what way?.... Yes he can roll his foot over the ball, but that doesn't seem to translate to an ability to beat a player. He is also very weak on his right hand side (hence why he always comes inside). He doesn't seem to control the ball quickly, he also misplaces passes quite regularly. I agree that he must've shown something in Italy in order for us to have paid so much money for him, but I simply haven't seen anything in games for Spurs that makes me think he is a good player. Most on here are willing to completely write off Paulinho as a player and yet I think I have seen more potential in him in a Spurs shirt than I have from Lamela.
I think that you are being excessively negative.

The way we worked the ball around in midfield, it always ended up with one of Eriksen or Lamela being centralish and playing some quick one touch football around the edge of the box with Kane and Soldado. We went side to side with both Eriksen and Lamela playing sideways passes until the opportunity arose for us to advance on their box. More often than not it came from Eriksen's side of the field, but there were times with Lamela too. Lamela however did lose the ball when dribbling forward, something which is a problem as the ball is always right under his feet. If he just nudged it a bit ahead of himself at times he'd get away from the tackle.

The OMT was filled with posts complaining about him constantly losing the ball and not doing anything useful.

Because he did lose the ball a lot and didn't do anything particularly useful?

In 83 minutes, he;

gave the ball away 8 times
miscontrolled the ball 3 times
lost possession 4 times
committed 4 fouls(two of which could've been red cards on another day)

on the ball, he;

made 1 cross (inaccurate)
took 1 shot (off target)
completed 2 dribbles

You love your whoscored stats, do those stats not say he gave the ball away a lot and did little with it?

My opinion is that he needs to play up front, where his two greatest strengths (extreme work rate and quick feet) will be better suited, CBS don't like to be harried by players all game especially those with a bit of pace. His quick feet will allow him to draw fouls in or around the box for them to give him space thus allowing him to bring others in to play or take a shot.... Plus he can't be worse than soldado... So can someone please have a word pouch and ask him to try him there... Thanks.

Back