• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Like I said, I dont mind if its the exception but in Lamelas case its the norm and by norm I mean 80% of the time... It eventually becomes counter productive

Potential yes but, and ill repeat myself here, I dont think he is suited to this league and it will not allow him to bring the best out of him nor reach his potential. Does not mean he is a poor player. He is obviously a player that needs time and space (I still think he needs his own ball)... this league will not give him that.

At which point does potential stop becoming potential? You cant just wait five years and get nothing when you get rid. Ill give him the rest of this season of course, seeing as there isnt much of a choice, but id rather cash in and use that money for more suited players.

But we've not been waiting 5 years. How many league starts did he have last season? This is effectively his first Premiership season and he probably hasn't even got past 15 starts for us (i haven't checked)

But we've not been waiting 5 years. How many league starts did he have last season? This is effectively his first Premiership season and he probably hasn't even got past 15 starts for us (i haven't checked)

26 starts, 40 appearances for us now in all comps. Again though it isn't like there is a magic number where everything is just going to click out of nowhere. The worrying part is he seems to be regressing rather than getting better we have to be realistic. He will get the rest of this season almost surely but to me it is starting to look more likely we should sell and buy a player which is more suited to our league.

To think we could have spent half his money last year on James McCarthy... but Lamela was the fancy dan from Argentina playing in the Italian Serie A. McCarthy a mere Wigan player in the Championship.

Guess who made the better buy???

Had a look at the extended highlights.

If the supposed second clear red card Lamela should have had is for the tackle on Montero after around 75 minutes I disagree that it's a red. He pulls out of it and bends his legs, not a red for me. Just like the Vertonghen one wasn't a red. Ref is looking straight at it and doesn't even book Lamela. Hardly any protest from the Swansea players.

I really think that's you inferring stuff, not him implying stuff.

He also mentioned Kane putting in 5 tackles. Kane is being widely praised for his effort and work rate. But doing so for Lamela all of a sudden is a bad thing?

I don't know. I just don't really see the point of mentioning it if I'm honest.

If he's not going to give us much in terms of a goal threat (I would even take getting into decent positions in the box but he seems even unable to do that), make reckless challenges like yesterday and against Everton and give the ball away in both halves then the very least he should be offering is effort.

I guess my frustration with him stems from the fact that he clearly does possess talent.

I have been critical of him, but I would keep him for the length of his contract.

That said, he doesn't deserve to be in the team now.

To think we could have spent half his money last year on James McCarthy... but Lamela was the fancy dan from Argentina playing in the Italian Serie A. McCarthy a mere Wigan player in the Championship.

Guess who made the better buy???

I've seen so much of him in the last 5 years being Irish and I dont really see what you're getting at?
He's a tidy midfielder with injury problems definitely not worth 13m in any climate.

I kind of like that he's "toughened" up a bit, and become a bit "dirty". At first he just rolled over and expected to get a free-kick every time some1 touched him. Now he's giving back, full fist! I like it! It's called adapting to the PL! He'll come good!

I kind of like that he's "toughened" up a bit, and become a bit "dirty". At first he just rolled over and expected to get a free-kick every time some1 touched him. Now he's giving back, full fist! I like it! It's called adapting to the PL! He'll come good!

But there's a difference between toughening up and being reckless. He's no shrinking violet, he's actually quite feisty, no harm in that, just needs to control himself sometimes.

If he's not going to give us much in terms of a goal threat (I would even take getting into decent positions in the box but he seems even unable to do that), make reckless challenges like yesterday and against Everton and give the ball away in both halves then the very least he should be offering is effort.

I guess my frustration with him stems from the fact that he clearly does possess talent.

He was giving reasoning behind his point of view by providing stats...

I get the frustration, but that's the thing with patience... If there was no frustration, no set backs, no pain, it wouldn't really be called patience.

He clearly has talent. He clearly works hard. And he seems pretty clearly to be rated by our head coach. If that's not enough for some patience after only 15-ish league starts from a 22 year old I don't know what is.

But there's a difference between toughening up and being reckless. He's no shrinking violet, he's actually quite feisty, no harm in that, just needs to control himself sometimes.

He certainly does. Like a lot of young footballers he needs to control and use his temper.

Edit: Like he did for the second supposedly red card incident. At least if I've re-watched the incident people are talking about. Because he clearly controls himself and pulls out of the tackle instead of following through.

26 starts, 40 appearances for us now in all comps. Again though it isn't like there is a magic number where everything is just going to click out of nowhere. The worrying part is he seems to be regressing rather than getting better we have to be realistic. He will get the rest of this season almost surely but to me it is starting to look more likely we should sell and buy a player which is more suited to our league.

How many league starts? He's looked good in the cups for us so it's the inexperience in English league football that is making me be patient with him. Like I said I'd be surprised if he's started more than 15 league games for us

Right I've done my research, Lamela has started precisely 16 games for Spurs in the PL. 3 starts last season and 13 this so far. But no, let's write him off I mean it's not like by this time in Gareth Bales Spurs career we hadn't won a game when he played or anything. FFS

Nah everyone on here knew Bale was gonna be a star mate, even all those who were saying he was a curse and should be sold

http://www.ja606.co.uk/articles/viewArticle/290166

Combined competitions this season (up till end of October) who is our most productive player (goals and assists)? No, it's not Eriksen, not Kane, not Ade, Bobby, or Aaron. Its fu":ing Lamela.

But but THE GUY CAN'T EVEN PLAY FOOTBALL- OR EVEN STAND UPRIGHT - WE CLEARLY SPENT £30M ON A LATINO STEPHEN HAWKING BUT WiTHOUT THE GENIUS - strategy!

But on what basis do you believe that he "clearly does possess talent"? How are you forming this opinion? Talent for doing keepy uppies? What good will that do in a game of football? And perhaps those who believe there is "clearly" a great player in there could explain what's so clear about it?

Lamelaism is almost becoming a faith that believers adhere to at the expense of rationality. How many times do you need to see him doing endless rollovers and drag backs before being tackled again by a full back? Or passing to an opposition player? Or getting muscles or out paced?

What positive effect does he have on games? None. Face up to facts. We bought a duffer. He isn't going to get a whole lot better, the issues he has cannot be trained away. The longer we wait to sell the more his value goes down.

But on what basis do you believe that he "clearly does possess talent"? How are you forming this opinion? Talent for doing keepy uppies? What good will that do in a game of football? And perhaps those who believe there is "clearly" a great player in there could explain what's so clear about it?

Lamelaism is almost becoming a faith that believers adhere to at the expense of rationality. How many times do you need to see him doing endless rollovers and drag backs before being tackled again by a full back? Or passing to an opposition player? Or getting muscles or out paced?

What positive effect does he have on games? None. Face up to facts. We bought a duffer. He isn't going to get a whole lot better, the issues he has cannot be trained away. The longer we wait to sell the more his value goes down.

3 goals and 6 assists a third of the way in to what is effectively his first season, according to link in the post above yours. Id call that a positive effect on games

3 goals and 6 assists a third of the way in to what is effectively his first season, according to link in the post above yours. Id call that a positive effect on games

The link that dates from October? And includes Europa and League Cup games against inferior opposition? What has he actually done in the PL? A couple of assists against an appallingly bad QPR side? Besides, I don't just judge on statistics, I judge on what I see week in week out.

Your faith is making you blind.

Based on his performances for Argentina and Roma mainly to be fair. But also his touch and skills. He clearly needs to work on;

Finishing
Getting into good positions in the box like Eriksen, Kane, Chadli etc
Strength
Decision making - Both offensively and defensively
Tackling

Only if he does those things will he realise his potential. I don't believe he will ultimately be as good as some on here believe, but I do think he COULD become a player who scores 10-15 goals a season if he gets his act together.

The link that dates from October? And includes Europa and League Cup games against inferior opposition? What has he actually done in the PL? A couple of assists against an appallingly bad QPR side? Besides, I don't just judge on statistics, I judge on what I see week in week out.

What's anyone done in the PL this season? 13 starts in a poor spurs side and he has still contributed 3 assists by October which is actually more than anyone else in the squad.

Oh but you just trust what you see don't you? I guess you must have missed the goal he scored that the entire footballing world talked about for about 2 weeks afterwards. Clearly a guy with no talent whatsoever there. Nope, no potential to see here, where's my gun, this particular colt is for the glue factory.

Any chance of you have a discussion without the insults? Or references to apologists or Lamaleaites or whichever denigrating turn of phrase you're currently using? Does nothing to strengthen your argument. Just makes you come across as someone incapable of talking with people who have differing opinions to your own.

So now it's only league games you want to judge him on? Ok fair enough, i'll accept the moving of the goal posts...take away the 3 goals and 3 assists. 3 assists in the league ... up to October, as you rightly point out in your post, not a terrible return up to that point of the season im sure any balanced person could agree, especially when it was the highest tally from a Spurs player at that point of the season - that's a positive effect right there. 24 chances created as well according to Squawka, some way behind Eriksen who is out on his own with 33 but still ahead a lot of our other players, there's another positive effect for you.

Back