• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

i'd definitely give him the full season and dare say the manager is gonna have to be brave and give him plenty of game time and stick with him.

I think why some people are annoyed is that Lamela does still look a bit raw, in a kind of Lau lau, W Zaha way but for £28M+ (rightfully so) expect him to be more the finished article

I find it embarrassing people writing him off and comparing him to Sterling... Lamela has barely played in the league, a new league, a much more physical league, we have our third manager in his time over a little over a year here... Sterling grew up here and got adjusted here, he's played far more games with the same team and the same manager are a complete unit that understand each other and what is demanded of them...

Just confirms that people really don't know what they're talking about on here... not saying Lamela will or won't be better than Sterling or fulfil his promise etc, but we certainly can't judge that!!

The only thing that annoys me is that Lamela seems to be a special case on here - Chadli,Capoue,Chiriches amongst others also had to deal with coming to a new country, having injuries throughout the season and the general managerial upheaval around the club but if all they did was 'work hard' after a few games and not produce they wouldnt be given such allowances....

I find it embarrassing people writing him off and comparing him to Sterling... Lamela has barely played in the league, a new league, a much more physical league, we have our third manager in his time over a little over a year here... Sterling grew up here and got adjusted here, he's played far more games with the same team and the same manager are a complete unit that understand each other and what is demanded of them...

Just confirms that people really don't know what they're talking about on here... not saying Lamela will or won't be better than Sterling or fulfil his promise etc, but we certainly can't judge that!!

Sterling started his career very promisingly under Hodgson I believe, again under Dalglish, got a contract improvement and went missing for 8 months. Rodgers made him train with the youth team upon his arrival as he didn't think he had the hunger to succeed. People comparing Lamela to Sterling should maybe consider the full story, not just his form for the second half of last season

It may be wrong to compare Lamela with Sterling if they are meant to have different attributes and perform different roles. But as I understand it one of the reasons that Lamela is potentially a special player is ability to dribble around players, and his attacking flair. But I don't see that on the pitch.

And I don't think that has anything to do with managers or settling in -either you have an ability to dribble around players or you don't. It is something you pick up and develop very early on - I don't think you can train it in at 22.

Now it might be that Lamela could dribble around defenders in Argentina and Italy because of the style of play, but not in England because of tempo and space issues. And it may be that he can adjust -but I don't see many signs of that. He tries the same things now as he did last season -with the same results.

Or maybe he was never purchased as dribbling attacking type player but more as link up #10 -in which case why wasn't he played there -and I don't think he is physically up to it anyway, as he is knocked off of the ball very easily.

But how did we get to the position where we spend £25m on player -and don't really know where we should play them or what their best attributes are....

The only thing that annoys me is that Lamela seems to be a special case on here - Chadli,Capoue,Chiriches amongst others also had to deal with coming to a new country, having injuries throughout the season and the general managerial upheaval around the club but if all they did was 'work hard' after a few games and not produce they wouldnt be given such allowances....

Of course he's a special case .. because of the upside. Somebody had posted a comment a while back that people should read

Lamela is not some foreign kid Spurs took a punt on, not some maybe he has upside kind of player. Lamela has been the next big thing since he was 12, and has succeeded at each change in level.

****ing Sterling .. believe me, I don't think you will find anyone involved in football (not us fans) who thinks Sterling will end up a better player than Lamela, and Lamela fail/succeed at Spurs will most likely be playing for a top side in a major European league in 3 years, Sterling is not likely to play for anyone bigger than Pool.

Of course he's a special case .. because of the upside. Somebody had posted a comment a while back that people should read

Lamela is not some foreign kid Spurs took a punt on, not some maybe he has upside kind of player. Lamela has been the next big thing since he was 12, and has succeeded at each change in level.

****ing Sterling .. believe me, I don't think you will find anyone involved in football (not us fans) who thinks Sterling will end up a better player than Lamela, and Lamela fail/succeed at Spurs will most likely be playing for a top side in a major European league in 3 years, Sterling is not likely to play for anyone bigger than Pool.

My gripe wasnt at giving Lamela special dispensation, I just wanted us to apply such rationale to all our signings from last season as they all have obvious talent. Fair enough you would say Lamela is the best of the talents, but I still think they should all be treated similarly and I dont think they have been....

My gripe wasnt at giving Lamela special dispensation, I just wanted us to apply such rationale to all our signings from last season as they all have obvious talent. Fair enough you would say Lamela is the best of the talents, but I still think they should all be treated similarly and I dont think they have been....

That I do agree with, Chadli/Soldado/Paulinho all have potential to be much more that we have seen so far.

It may be wrong to compare Lamela with Sterling if they are meant to have different attributes and perform different roles. But as I understand it one of the reasons that Lamela is potentially a special player is ability to dribble around players, and his attacking flair. But I don't see that on the pitch.

And I don't think that has anything to do with managers or settling in -either you have an ability to dribble around players or you don't. It is something you pick up and develop very early on - I don't think you can train it in at 22.

Now it might be that Lamela could dribble around defenders in Argentina and Italy because of the style of play, but not in England because of tempo and space issues. And it may be that he can adjust -but I don't see many signs of that. He tries the same things now as he did last season -with the same results.

Or maybe he was never purchased as dribbling attacking type player but more as link up #10 -in which case why wasn't he played there -and I don't think he is physically up to it anyway, as he is knocked off of the ball very easily.

But how did we get to the position where we spend £25m on player -and don't really know where we should play them or what their best attributes are....

From what I've seen of his better moments at Spurs, I'd say quite a lot of his quality is in his vision. I agree with you that his dribbling and ability to take people on haven't been up to scratch during his time here but there's been glimpses of it which show promising signs.

But another key feature seems to be when he is moving well with the ball at his feet he makes some really well calculated dinked passes putting players in. He's gaining confidence and fitness but he also needs good movement around him because he can't take the world on by himself and the movement around him is lacking. We've started to see the fighter in him but also an urge to play the ball forward with incisive passing. Not to excuse him but it just seems like the preparation for the transfer and the club environment he came in to, combined with the injuries Les Ferdinand referred to the other week didn't give him the best opportunity to really show his talents.

I think his transfer fee isn't going to be paid in 20 solo wondergoals a season but more his whole impact on the game, he seems like a really intelligent player but for us to benefit we need more than a double marked Chadli to his left, a dazed looking Adebayor in front of him and a Townsend who quite frankly at the moment just doesn't know what the **** he's doing.

I've not been a perpetual defender of him, or pretended to know much about his footballing history but I can see a real quality player there from his time here but the players around him need to function, and we need to be a bit more savvy in games like yesterday to get the best out of him.

Lamela fail/succeed at Spurs will most likely be playing for a top side in a major European league in 3 years, Sterling is not likely to play for anyone bigger than Pool.

3 years huh? If that's the case, which player would you rather have and which one would benefit Spurs the most in productivity/longevity in the PL? Which player do you think Pool would rather have right now and why? Would they rather have Lamela because of what he did for Roma?

Last edited:
Madness being talked here. Maybe we've been a little bit spoiled by Bale, I don't know.

The reason Lamella gets 'special' treatment is because of his record in Italy before he came here, which for a player of his age was excellent.

Regarding the 'he can't dribble' in england, his assist verses QPR was a pretty good example of a player dribbling for me. It's blatantly obvious by the way he addresses the ball, by his movement to anyone that he has ability. The other thing I like about him is his enthusiasm and work rate. He didn't have the best game against Liverpool, but ran until the end. This is why he gets 'special' treatment.

Nothing really came off for him yesterday but he was always trying to make something happen, I'll take that over a player hiding.

3 years huh? If that's the case, which player would you rather have and which one would benefit Spurs the most in productivity/longevity in the PL? Which player do you think Pool would rather have right now and why?

3 years because either he fails and we have sold him, and imo within a year he will be back at a decent level in Italy/Spain, or he becomes what he can be and we will be having that Madrid conversation.

Honestly we want to be in a position where we are having that Madrid conversation, as it would have meant Lamela was amazingly impactful for us.

Re Pool, I don't think they play a game Lamela is suited to, people rave about Rogers but his style isn't that pleasant to me. I see a lot of energy, pressing, but when they win the ball, a lot (a lot) of the time it's a long diagonal ball to a pacey outlet, Sterling suits that kind of game more than Lemela.

Nothing really came off for him yesterday but he was always trying to make something happen, I'll take that over a player hiding.

Well, if that's the choice I'm given, then I suppose so would I. However...that trait in and of itself doesn't always lead to success. With top 4 ambitions in mind, seems to me we spent 25 mil or so on Lamela for his supposed quality rather than as a trier. Of course, nobody should be hiding out there anyway, and if they are, that's an issue for the manager. If players aren't playing hard for him (and this is a manager who allegedly gets the most out of his players) then he needs to address it. Its early doors yet and we will see how it plays out, but if anyone is hiding now, it presumably wouldn't/shouldn't be an issue going forward.

Last edited:
From what I've seen of his better moments at Spurs, I'd say quite a lot of his quality is in his vision. I agree with you that his dribbling and ability to take people on haven't been up to scratch during his time here but there's been glimpses of it which show promising signs.

But another key feature seems to be when he is moving well with the ball at his feet he makes some really well calculated dinked passes putting players in. He's gaining confidence and fitness but he also needs good movement around him because he can't take the world on by himself and the movement around him is lacking. We've started to see the fighter in him but also an urge to play the ball forward with incisive passing. Not to excuse him but it just seems like the preparation for the transfer and the club environment he came in to, combined with the injuries Les Ferdinand referred to the other week didn't give him the best opportunity to really show his talents.

I think his transfer fee isn't going to be paid in 20 solo wondergoals a season but more his whole impact on the game, he seems like a really intelligent player but for us to benefit we need more than a double marked Chadli to his left, a dazed looking Adebayor in front of him and a Townsend who quite frankly at the moment just doesn't know what the **** he's doing.

I've not been a perpetual defender of him, or pretended to know much about his footballing history but I can see a real quality player there from his time here but the players around him need to function, and we need to be a bit more savvy in games like yesterday to get the best out of him.

Do you know what I agree. if I was to look for positives it would be his vision. Strangely enough I think the same of Soldado - although he had been poor in front of goal his link up play has looked really good at times. If anything the problem has been that Lamela and Soldado have seemed on a different wavelength to the players around them - they see a pass or an angle, but the players nearby don't and so don't make the run. I don't know if that is problem we will ever fix though.. maybe they will have to go elsewhere to find like minded players.

Sterling started his career very promisingly under Hodgson I believe, again under Dalglish, got a contract improvement and went missing for 8 months. Rodgers made him train with the youth team upon his arrival as he didn't think he had the hunger to succeed. People comparing Lamela to Sterling should maybe consider the full story, not just his form for the second half of last season

funny enough....lamela had a much better exposure to competition then than sterling

but its good to know that back ground story you mentioned, says a lot of sterlings character

Back