• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Raheem Sterling is 19 and cost £600,000 -£5m from QPR youth.
Erik Lamela is 22 and cost £25 - £29m

I think we should expect a bit more from Lamela than wanting to be on the ball. I know which player I'd prefer.

Maybe Lamela will go on to light up the division, but I think it is more likely he will be heading back to Italy. In his best season at Roma he scored 15 goals in Serie A, but only against two out of the top eight teams excluding Roma. Last season Sterling scored 9 goals in the Premier but scored against five of the top eight teams excluding Liverpool. Part of that will be to do with Liverpool's performance as a team, but I think Lamela may struggle when there is not much space. One of his strengths is meant to be dribbling, but I've seen him try to take on players many times this and last season, and lose the ball. That's more than just a settling in problem.

Part of that will be to do with Liverpool's performance as a team, but I think Lamela may struggle when there is not much space. One of his strengths is meant to be dribbling, but I've seen him try to take on players many times this and last season, and lose the ball. That's more than just a settling in problem.
Agree with this.
Whether there is lack of option to pass , I think he needs to improve in this area.

His dribbling is not rely on pace / acceleration but rather a close control with the ball. There were a few occasions yesterday he was outmuscled by a Liverpool player.

Sterling = 63 appearances for Liverpool
Lamela = 10 apperances for Spurs (something like 5 starts?)

Just saying.

Sterling = 63 appearances for Liverpool
Lamela = 10 apperances for Spurs (something like 5 starts?)

Just saying.

I hear what you're saying, going for the motherly ...my baby cant do much wrong its never completely his fault type thing. I can dig that cause he is our player and you want him to succeed

but simple question.....Can he / will he play that role as well as sterling right now or not? As in like right now...put him in there...and then he instantly has well moving players to pass to, he is able to acclimatise to the pace of the prem better...when he drifts wide to both flanks there is a HUGE liklehood he will leave his man for dead...etc etc.....will he do that now?

just saying or rather i should say.....'just asking';)

Last edited:
you know what **** it, lets throw some gasoline on the fire just for kicks

Him making 10 appearances(in the league) is as much to do with him as it is to do with his injuries IMO

Ah my comment was aimed more at Ringo's comments that he'd prefer Sterling to Lamela.

at this moment in time i can see why he would think that, sterling plays in a different system and is more prem ready, is quicker of the mark , faster over the first 30m and actually is more likely to beat his man off the dribble than lamela...i actually think this trait (beating people of the dribble) has nothing to do with injuries (assuming you come back to full health) or getting used to the pace of a league but almost everything to do with confidence , actual ability and attacking awareness (use of space, team mate movements etc). which means that the ability to take on players (when the time comes and you get yourself into the ideal situation) is one of the rare traits that has very little to do with the league and almost everything to do with the player's actual ability and current mental state. the thing you could link to the league would be maybe we have better one v one defenders than anywhere else in the world...in which case maybe experience would be the external variable that needs to be considered before talking about his ability and mental areas of his game

what ringo may not be considering is ho good Lamela COULD become in the future. But then thinking pragmatically you would have to base that on something in order to get a positive forcast that surpasses what you are seeing with Sterling

with our current group of players, at this stage in his development, in this system its not easy to see how he signficantly blows sterling out of the water

Last edited:
Ah my comment was aimed more at Ringo's comments that he'd prefer Sterling to Lamela.

Surely, most Spurs fans would prefer Sterling?
Lamela is technically limited and easy to read, hence most of his dribbles don't amount to much.
He has a good touch and can pass and cross, so he would best be operating in the left quadrant or on left wing. He and Eriksen should be near all set plays and we will get the best out of him but Sterling will probably be more significant in the Prem for his pace and eye for a goal inside the box.
Time will tell.

Surely, most Spurs fans would prefer Sterling?
Lamela is technically limited and easy to read, hence most of his dribbles don't amount to much.
He has a good touch and can pass and cross, so he would best be operating in the left quadrant or on left wing. He and Eriksen should be near all set plays and we will get the best out of him but Sterling will probably be more significant in the Prem for his pace and eye for a goal inside the box.
Time will tell.

well summed up

sterling is tailored for success in the prem.....lamela has more continental attributes that need to be maximised

only thing i disagree with is that he needs to be on the left...i think its the right..the right or the middle. in essence when he has to deliver a ball as a wing forward...i would like it to be on his stronger foot...which is his left and ironically for wing forwards means he has to be on the right (also to do with his lack of right foot too)

Personally I think the only thing Sterling has over Lamela is blistering pace. As well as being part of what is so far a 2 year plan and philosophy under Rodgers.

Personally I think the only thing Sterling has over Lamela is blistering pace. As well as being part of what is so far a 2 year plan and philosophy under Rodgers.

really? so lamela is regularly better .....

dribbler than sterling
better at beating his man than sterling in close quarters
releasing the ball in a progressive fashion under tight pressing opposition thumbs in quick time than sterling
better crosser than sterling
better finisher than sterling
currently more confident than sterling
operates better in the hole than sterling
attuned to the pace of the league better than sterling

Interesting.....well i have been impressed with sterling over the last 18 months...so its good to see that we have a player that is much better than he is. i clearly have to look harder when i do look at all:)

really? so lamela is regularly better .....

dribbler than sterling
better at beating his man than sterling in close quarters
releasing the ball in a progressive fashion under tight pressing opposition thumbs in quick time than sterling
better crosser than sterling
better finisher than sterling
currently more confident than sterling
operates better in the hole than sterling
attuned to the pace of the league better than sterling

Interesting.....well i have been impressed with sterling over the last 18 months...so its good to see that we have a player that is much better than he is. i clearly have to look harder when i do look at all:)

Dribbling? I'd say so.
Beating man? Even. Sterling uses pace for this much like lennon used to.
Releasing the ball? One of Lamelas strongest points.
Crossing? Almost certainly.
Finishing? Just about even, fair play to Sterling for improving this side to his game, he couldn't even take a corner a few years ago.
Confidence and accustomed? Don't see what this has to do with talent, but like I said Sterling has been playing under Rodgers for 2 years, used to his system and players around him. Lamela is 5 games in.
Operates better in the hole? Certainly. Just a shame we've only really seen him on the right.

I think we should judge Lamela after more than the few appearances he has had, and after he has more experience in this league.

The lad has certainly not done it yet, but I'll give it a while longer before saying I'd prefer Sterling to him.

Dribbling? I'd say so.
Beating man? Even. Sterling uses pace for this much like lennon used to.
Releasing the ball? One of Lamelas strongest points.
Crossing? Almost certainly.
Finishing? Just about even, fair play to Sterling for improving this side to his game, he couldn't even take a corner a few years ago.
Confidence and accustomed? Don't see what this has to do with talent, but like I said Sterling has been playing under Rodgers for 2 years, used to his system and players around him. Lamela is 5 games in.
Operates better in the hole? Certainly. Just a shame we've only really seen him on the right.

i like your confidence on the matter....like i said, i will always defer to the person that has seen more than i

the only thing i would say is that confidence has a direct correlation with application of ones talents......in that context i think its highly relevant when assessing someone. A person's confidence, character and mental traits in general is just as important...to be honest it think its alot more important than their actual raw talent

you know what **** it, lets throw some gasoline on the fire just for kicks

Him making 10 appearances(in the league) is as much to do with him as it is to do with his injuries IMO

Mainly to do with AVB it seems.

His injuries robbed him of half the season last year, the Sherwood half, when he looked like he was going to get game time.

For the AVB half it was pretty clear that AVB didn't like him. Starting him in his first game away to City, then dropping him soon after when the entire team wasn't functioning. Him being man of the match in the EL and still not getting a start and hardly even getting on the pitch after that. Not sure what more he could have done at that time.

What seems clear is that now our manager rates him and gives him chances to play and he's responding well.

I think we should judge Lamela after more than the few appearances he has had, and after he has more experience in this league.

The lad has certainly not done it yet, but I'll give it a while longer before saying I'd prefer Sterling to him.

agreed...

how long do you think?

Mainly to do with AVB it seems.

His injuries robbed him of half the season last year, the Sherwood half, when he looked like he was going to get game time.

For the AVB half it was pretty clear that AVB didn't like him. Starting him in his first game away to City, then dropping him soon after when the entire team wasn't functioning. Him being man of the match in the EL and still not getting a start and hardly even getting on the pitch after that. Not sure what more he could have done at that time.

What seems clear is that now our manager rates him and gives him chances to play and he's responding well.

dammit...you got there in the first line;)

Back