• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I watched the first hour or so and thought he looked very good. Lively, keen, getting into the right places. He made a couple of misplaced passes (one could be blamed on Rojo not continuing a run down the wing) but both times he immediately chased after his mistake and tried to get the ball back.

If it wasn't for Di Maria's masterclass he would have been the best player on the pitch IMO. Very encouraging.

Its the Ade v Solly thing again for me dude

Completely disrespectful to sterling just cause he plays in England and has been raised as more of an english style player IMO

Strong similarities between you and GB in your assessment of talent. Basically i think you would snub premier league players in favor of continental ones most chance you get

to be fair AS .. English players very rarely fulfill their talent .. way too many "could have been", one/two season wonders.

And Lamela has been the next best thing much longer than Sterling has been on anyone's radar.

Do you disagree the upside on Lamela is higher than Sterling?

to be fair AS .. English players very rarely fulfill their talent .. way too many "could have been", one/two season wonders.

And Lamela has been the next best thing much longer than Sterling has been on anyone's radar.

Do you disagree the upside on Lamela is higher than Sterling?

I think that is impossible to say and was funnily enough, what Man Utd fans used to say about Nani and Bale back when Nani had his last good season and Bale burst onto the scene in the CL but was (imo) quite inconsistent back in the league.

I think Sterling is suffering at the moment from being typecast due to certain factors. He's being cast as in the Lennon/ Townsend/ Walcott/ SWP/ Pennant etc etc band because he's small, quick and black. I think he's completely different from those players. Yes he's quick but he shows a level of intelligence, creativity and passing. I don't usually put my neck out on the line when it comes to football because there are so many variables but I genuinely believe Sterling is one of the top young attacking players in Europe and has a high chance of becoming one of the best attackers.

I went to see the Nextgen game between us and liverpool a few seasons ago and he was by far the best player on the pitch imo, he was excellent. I was saddened a season or so after that when we were linked to him but didn't make it happen (whether that was because we were never actually in for him I don't know).

And I say this as one of Lamela's biggest fans.

I think that is impossible to say and was funnily enough, what Man Utd fans used to say about Nani and Bale back when Nani had his last good season and Bale burst onto the scene in the CL but was (imo) quite inconsistent back in the league.

I think Sterling is suffering at the moment from being typecast due to certain factors. He's being cast as in the Lennon/ Townsend/ Walcott/ SWP/ Pennant etc etc band because he's small, quick and black. I think he's completely different from those players. Yes he's quick but he shows a level of intelligence, creativity and passing. I don't usually put my neck out on the line when it comes to football because there are so many variables but I genuinely believe Sterling is one of the top young attacking players in Europe and has a high chance of becoming one of the best attackers.

I went to see the Nextgen game between us and liverpool a few seasons ago and he was by far the best player on the pitch imo, he was excellent. I was saddened a season or so after that when we were linked to him but didn't make it happen (whether that was because we were never actually in for him I don't know).

I'd go with this - Lamela's great, and I really hope he kicks on. But I'm in the Sterling camp right now - that kid is special, really really special, could be messi levels of special special. Lamela is just special at the moment from what I've seen? I hope that both go on to do well, as I'm an england fan as well as a yid.

Great post

Lovely finish by Erik ...Gonna be massive for us this season.

The Sterling debate ... I think if he's well grounded and keeps improving , he'll be going the same way as Bale and finishing at Madrid .

CR7 to PSG - Sterling to be his replacement . I'm serious!

Very pleased for Lamela. Needs to do it in a run of games for us now.
As for Sterling, its nothing we have'nt seen numerous times before, so far. He could very well turn out to a be Bale but he could just as easily end up a Pennant. Time will tell.

You say he's being cast as something, then comparing five completely different players who also happen to small quick and black. SWP + Pennant I'm not so sure of these days but Lennon, Townsend and Walcott are completely different types of players.

I agree with you about Sterling though, he's class. Liverpool wouldn't have sold to us, or anyone for that matter unless the money was ridiculous. He'd been smashing it academy wise for a long time and started to sort out the personal problems he was having. Part of the family and all that, the fans actually support their players rather than criticize venomously anything they do wrong whilst failing to acknowledge anything they did right (Livermore, Caulker)

Sterling is still in the honeymoon period of his career, he is at a stage where the opposition are not doubling up on him or giving him any kind of special treatment and as a result he somewhat still has a free rein to play his natural game. The true test will come when teams do begin to focus their attention on him and start constructing game plans to prevent him playing his game. Will he have enough in his locker to overcome teams that look to double up on him? Does he have the creativity and awareness to produce something special when teams play in a negative manner and park the bus? I’m not so sure.

The dribbling game can only take you so far, even Messi found that out, once teams begin to focus their tactics on you you need to adapt and develop your game in different areas, I’ve not seen much from Sterling’s game to suggest that he is capable of doing this to the degree that can take him up to that next level. Whilst there is a reasonable chance that I could be proven wrong, I reckon he’ll end up being a solid premiership player a little like Lennon, although perhaps he’ll pitch in with more goals. I reckon Chamberlain is the brightest English prospect at this moment in time, quite simply because he has a fair bit to his game. I won’t go as far as to say he will turn out to be a top level player, but out of all the English prospects out there at this moment in time I reckon he has the best chance to do so.

Lamela on the other hand, whilst not quite reaching the heights that Sterling has achieved thus far in his premier league career has shown in glimpses that he has a well-rounded game and has displayed signs (few and far between granted) that suggest he is a true talent.

You say he's being cast as something, then comparing five completely different players who also happen to small quick and black. SWP + Pennant I'm not so sure of these days but Lennon, Townsend and Walcott are completely different types of players.

I agree with you about Sterling though, he's class. Liverpool wouldn't have sold to us, or anyone for that matter unless the money was ridiculous. He'd been smashing it academy wise for a long time and started to sort out the personal problems he was having. Part of the family and all that, the fans actually support their players rather than criticize venomously anything they do wrong whilst failing to acknowledge anything they did right (Livermore, Caulker)

Its not my stereotype (hence my disagreeing with Sterling being placed into it) but the stereotype of the media and fans in this country who see a small, fast, black winger and cast that player (regardless of who he is) into exactly that. A fast winger who doesn't tend to have great end product and whose main attribute is his pace. Our own fans have been especially guilty of this (because one of those players is ours).

I agree with you that those 5 players aren't the same and, like Bale, I think Sterling's pace is just one of the many aspects that makes him the player he is.

I'm not saying who will be better of him or Lamela but I do think they're both excellent talents.

Sterling is still in the honeymoon period of his career, he is at a stage where the opposition are not doubling up on him or giving him any kind of special treatment and as a result he somewhat still has a free rein to play his natural game. The true test will come when teams do begin to focus their attention on him and start constructing game plans to prevent him playing his game. Will he have enough in his locker to overcome teams that look to double up on him? Does he have the creativity and awareness to produce something special when teams play in a negative manner and park the bus? I’m not so sure.

This, we could list the players who have been here and not stepped up, not to mention one hamstring injury could change it all. I don't see him being anything bigger than what he is now (not saying I have any special ability in that department)

Anyway, back to Erik, must have been great for confidence (of course the british press will only talk about the Manure player in the game yesterday), hopefully we see that translate into better performances for us.

Its not my stereotype (hence my disagreeing with Sterling being placed into it) but the stereotype of the media and fans in this country who see a small, fast, black winger and cast that player (regardless of who he is) into exactly that. A fast winger who doesn't tend to have great end product and whose main attribute is his pace. Our own fans have been especially guilty of this (because one of those players is ours).

I agree with you that those 5 players aren't the same and, like Bale, I think Sterling's pace is just one of the many aspects that makes him the player he is.

I'm not saying who will be better of him or Lamela but I do think they're both excellent talents.

That's my bad, I completely misread the general vibe of your post there

homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

This, we could list the players who have been here and not stepped up, not to mention one hamstring injury could change it all. I don't see him being anything bigger than what he is now (not saying I have any special ability in that department)

Anyway, back to Erik, must have been great for confidence (of course the british press will only talk about the Manure player in the game yesterday), hopefully we see that translate into better performances for us.

And what a flop he was last season - without mentioning the injuries of the horrific situation at the club.

Back