• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I dont have a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram account etc and never will

Instagram is a photo app. Basically to show off how "awesome" your life is instead of actually enjoying it. Just watch any football game and see how many have their phones up to take pictures and video of the game. I'd rather be able to celebrate a goal than make sure I have a rather average video of it.

I'm very strict about my twitter feed. Those that tweet too much or mainly crap about themselves don't last long.

Reminds me of the photo of the crowd celebrating our very late goal v Cardiff. A lot of celebrating fans, mixed in with one guy, caught in shot, taking a video/photo. Why not actually celebrate the goal properly?

My biggest gripe with social media is that it's turned every death or tragedy into a grief race. It's now more important to show people that you care than it is to actually care. If Princess Diana had died when facebook and twitter was about then I don't think the world would have ever recovered.

Likes this.

Im not on any of them either but i think i have given up pretending to be normal and settled into miserable **** territory. I use this website despite it's heavily left wing political ideas of a lot of the users and all of the mods/admin. I also use a cycling and kitesurfing forum. I check all the online papers each day for 30 minutes and my emails for about 20 minutes and thats me done.

It's not facebook , twitter and instagram that's the problem. It's people. You don't have to be friends with everyone on facebook or follow everyone on twitter.
Just keep the ones you like and ignore the rest and it won't be a problem. I can't comment on instagram as I don't really know what it is or how it works.

True, but the internet, mobile connected devices, these sites have facilitated this vainglorious aspect of the common psyche.

This is also exacerbated by this lionising of celebrity culture with things like Big Brother, Heat magazine, TOWIE, the Daily Mail sidebar of shame and the fact that mobiles seem to be allowed in class at school. Digital peer pressure for kids is huge and it's damaging.

Previously the dumb ****s that spout nonsense all over FB would have done it in the pub to a limited audience a Saturday night. Now it's out there for all to see, forever.

There are still people that don't realise the whole ****ing world can see what you write online. It's public; it's permanent.

Stopped posting on FB and never signed up on Twitter purely because I'd have a few bevvies and think I was funny. Unfortunately you good folk have to put up with it :lol:

Sean Lock said of Twitter users that it was like their brains were leaking hehe

This is one area that I think is certainly worthy of discussion way beyond the limits of glory-glory.

Personally I think it's more likely that bullying that was already going on partly in hiding spread to social media and thus a greater awareness of it's presence has been seen. Although I obviously cannot prove this I don't think anyone can say that social media has increased the amount of bullying, at least I haven't seen a convincing argument supporting that statement. If anything I think schools and parents should try to use social media to uncover things that previously have been hidden and use sites like facebook as a tool to help weed out bullying.

You are probably right that the bullying was going on anyway. It may not have created a large number of bullies. However, it greatly increases the opportunities for bullying incidents. Instead of only getting bullied at school, the bullying spreads to the whole online social life and that is a lot of some people's day. There is no escape. So think the number of episodes of bullying will have increased dramatically.

Bullies also tend to be cowards. It is possible that some people who would have kept quiet in real life (in person, in public) are emboldened in the online environment. So some of the social media bullying could be from new bullies.

I'm not a philistine and am online probably 15 hours of every day like most people but dont see the need to express myself or tell everyone what I'm doing on social media sites, posting here on sites like this is my limit to "interacting" online, does that make me "old school"? I'm in my 30's btw

=D>

30s too. Never used any of it - really don't see the point. FB: I don't need 3000 friends when I can't get enough time in life to see more than 6. Twitter: My wife doesn't listen to my ****e, so why would anyone else?

I thought it was more for kids/students and bored housewives (I saw an ad for a bored housewife looking for action, so I sent her my ironing...)

Reminds me of the photo of the crowd celebrating our very late goal v Cardiff. A lot of celebrating fans, mixed in with one guy, caught in shot, taking a video/photo. Why not actually celebrate the goal properly?

Or at a concert all those taping on their phones. Why not actually you know, enjoy the concert in the moment rather than later on a tiny screen.

I use Facebook to keep up to speed with what my mates (and family) are up to back in the UK, and like someone else said I use Twitter simply as a news feed. I never 'tweet' myself.

Or at a concert all those taping on their phones. Why not actually you know, enjoy the concert in the moment rather than later on a tiny screen.

I think there was actually an article recently of a study that proved taking photos/videos of an event is far less effective way of remembering the experience than ACTUALLY experiencing the event. They claim those who use their phones were less able to remember certain aspects of the event, smells, colours etc.

Does my head in seeing people post all their **** on FB, Like others here say, you can block them from your newsfeed however I've recently decided enough is enough and I'm deleting my FB account (Just building up to it ;) )

see the problem isn't actually social media -it's the general public (or more certain types within society)

FB serves a purpose for me in that it's by far and away the easiest way to stay in contact with people - you may argue that you only stay in touch with people who you want to anyway but FB just makes the whole process easier. you don't have to add people you don't want and if someone is annoying on the feed you can block their content or delete them permanently.

social media is what you make of it

Have a twitter account but barely use it, find it pointless.

Instagram pointless.

Must admit I use Facebook quite a lot. I post status updates no more than twice a week, people that do it every day or even multiple times a day really need to sort their life out. I find it a great way to keep in touch with people, a lot of it is mundane of course. I can also see why it has led to marriage breakdowns as it can be a useful tool for people to flirt and put themselves about. Overall I think it's a good thing but too many people use it as a means to wind other people other up (especially when it comes to football) and others in general really don't understand how to use the site or understand the internet full stop, I really couldn't give a **** if you went out last night and are "hanging" this morning. Also don't care if you're tired or hate Mondays.

I have a twitter account just to get a newsfeed, I don't tweet anything. I don't have any of the other 'look at me' stuff. The constant chase for "likes" and appearing to have a perfect life is sending people into depressions.

The latest South Park episode takes the **** out of Kim Kardashian beautifully. Far too many of these modern celebrities are just famous for being famous. I just read that a lot of young girls spend so much time doing their makeup that they don't have time to do their homework or eat breakfast. WTF is wrong with people?

"I want to tell you something about infants. They can learn technology right away: electronics, continental drift, agriculture. Kids can learn anything, just as soon as they can learn 'Jack In The Beanstalk'. 'On the way, he met a cow, Moo Moo said the cow. Bah Bah said the sheep'. You fill kids' heads with that sh1t and you want them to grow up sane?" - Jacque Fresco

I recently made a facebook to keep in touch with friends and family as I will be leaving home soon.
I don't use it much though and that's all I have. I much prefer anonymous websites to forums or social media sites and it's where most of my internet time is spent.
The freedom to say whatever it is you feel with no social repercussions is a breath of fresh air, and there's no attention whoring (well there is but it's minimal) or mod worship or "I have 100 thousands posts so my opinion is more relevant than yours"
Not saying that goes on in this site, because I really haven't seen it much. Just a lot of forums are prone to that type of behavior.

FB is handy for keeping in contact easily and cheaply with friends I have around the world, it will come in handy when im in Oz thats for sure

The thing that I really hate on social media is public grieving. Can't ****ing stand it.

Some idiot I went to school with was posting about her miscarriage about 15 minutes after the event. It took every fibre of my being not to hit that Like button.

I'm not a philistine and am online probably 15 hours of every day like most people but dont see the need to express myself or tell everyone what I'm doing on social media sites, posting here on sites like this is my limit to "interacting" online, does that make me "old school"? I'm in my 30's btw

Cool, man. I'm not on any of those either. Well, I'm on Twitter, but just for reading. :)

Regarding public grieving. "Funeral selfies". Haha. Oh, lord, have mercy.
http://selfiesatfunerals.tumblr.com/

Last edited:
Social media apps are just tools, it's how you use them depends on how you feel about them.

If you use a hammer sensibly you won't hurt yourself...

Like many others here, FB is for friends and family and Twitter is for News, I think it's pretty easy to decide who to 'friend' and 'follow' after a while, without having to publicise every moment of my life with others.

Why is it now the done thing to put twitter like hash tags on Facebook status updates? #lovechristmas #reallygonemissmybrother #don'tgiveaflying****

I've never understood those people at concerts holding up mobiles for what seems like 2 hrs solid. Why no be comfortable and wear one of those headband HD camera jobbies. Surely a much more sensible idea than holding your phone up.

Back