• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I dont have a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram account etc and never will

Mr_B

Niko Kranjcar
I'm not a philistine and am online probably 15 hours of every day like most people but dont see the need to express myself or tell everyone what I'm doing on social media sites, posting here on sites like this is my limit to "interacting" online, does that make me "old school"? I'm in my 30's btw

I'm with you mate, read an article the other day linking facebook with depression and poor mental health.. It's the bane of modern society in my view and I'm not even thirty yet.

Indeed. Look at me look at me. Everyone posts how interesting and awesome they are seeking confirmation from others. Get a life.

As a teacher, I see the enormous damage 'social' media does to kids, via bullying. I shut my account down about a year ago and have no intention of re-opening it. It also damages adult relationships. Not for me. I'm afraid.

I'm not a big fan either, although like djp I think forums can be seen as social media.

Agree with Ted the purple hippo too. A lot of social media seems to be about projecting some perfected version of life, something that's not particularly healthy as it sets ideals both self inflicted and in comparison to others that are difficult, if not impossible, to live up to.

I also think it can be seen as harmful to communication between people. I find it good to keep in touch with people I no longer meet on a regular basis, but social media also seems to replace or hinder real communication between people. A funny link, a death in the family, an international tragedy, someone's dinner plans or a random photo all becomes something to 'like' or to respond to in a one sentence cliche.

As a teacher, I see the enormous damage 'social' media does to kids, via bullying. I shut my account down about a year ago and have no intention of re-opening it. It also damages adult relationships. Not for me. I'm afraid.

This is one area that I think is certainly worthy of discussion way beyond the limits of glory-glory.

Personally I think it's more likely that bullying that was already going on partly in hiding spread to social media and thus a greater awareness of it's presence has been seen. Although I obviously cannot prove this I don't think anyone can say that social media has increased the amount of bullying, at least I haven't seen a convincing argument supporting that statement. If anything I think schools and parents should try to use social media to uncover things that previously have been hidden and use sites like facebook as a tool to help weed out bullying.

I dont have facebook instagram twitter etc - I do have linked in as I see its worth and value. I dont begrudge anyone use the social media etc - although i do hate how theyre used. For example, people i know have sent wedding invites via FACEBOOK I mean what the ****? I would get texts instead as people know im not on facebook - but thats not the point.

Could class a message board as a form of social media

It is, but it's very different to FB.

Here, we generally revolve a common theme and it's very much not about posting up pointless photos of being drunk or calling out nameless adversaries and attention seeking.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the good in FB, I get the business model and I concede that it's an absolute modern phenomenon but it's also very, very shallow, vain, time consuming and divisive in the 'wrong' hands.

It's made a journalist and publisher of everyone, and an editor of no-one.

I have a twitter account just to get a newsfeed, I don't tweet anything. I don't have any of the other 'look at me' stuff. The constant chase for "likes" and appearing to have a perfect life is sending people into depressions.

The latest South Park episode takes the **** out of Kim Kardashian beautifully. Far too many of these modern celebrities are just famous for being famous. I just read that a lot of young girls spend so much time doing their makeup that they don't have time to do their homework or eat breakfast. WTF is wrong with people?

I have a twitter account just to get a newsfeed, I don't tweet anything. I don't have any of the other 'look at me' stuff. The constant chase for "likes" and appearing to have a perfect life is sending people into depressions.

The latest South Park episode takes the **** out of Kim Kardashian beautifully. Far too many of these modern celebrities are just famous for being famous. I just read that a lot of young girls spend so much time doing their makeup that they don't have time to do their homework or eat breakfast. WTF is wrong with people?

Twitter is a great as a news feed I use it in exactly the same way.

It's not facebook , twitter and instagram that's the problem. It's people. You don't have to be friends with everyone on facebook or follow everyone on twitter.
Just keep the ones you like and ignore the rest and it won't be a problem. I can't comment on instagram as I don't really know what it is or how it works.

It's not facebook , twitter and instagram that's the problem. It's people. You don't have to be friends with everyone on facebook or follow everyone on twitter.
Just keep the ones you like and ignore the rest and it won't be a problem. I can't comment on instagram as I don't really know what it is or how it works.

Instagram is a photo app. Basically to show off how "awesome" your life is instead of actually enjoying it. Just watch any football game and see how many have their phones up to take pictures and video of the game. I'd rather be able to celebrate a goal than make sure I have a rather average video of it.

I'm very strict about my twitter feed. Those that tweet too much or mainly crap about themselves don't last long.

My biggest gripe with social media is that it's turned every death or tragedy into a grief race. It's now more important to show people that you care than it is to actually care. If Princess Diana had died when facebook and twitter was about then I don't think the world would have ever recovered.

My biggest gripe with social media is that it's turned every death or tragedy into a grief race. It's now more important to show people that you care than it is to actually care. If Princess Diana had died when facebook and twitter was about then I don't think the world would have ever recovered.

People are more concerned about Bieber and Miley and Selena than their own families.

Back