• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

This is a tough league for keepers to adapt too, there is no harm in being careful with his acclimation.

Friedel isnt perfect and I dont think anyone has said as much, but he is a top keeper and despite mistakes has also kept us in the last couple of games with some fine saves.

Lloris has no right to just wander into the team. He needs to earn it. Thats how sport works.

No its not.

You pick the best player. We didnt spend millions for someone to sit on the bench, you dont leave someone you know is better on the bench and wait for a mistake to be made.

Using that logic, if we had signed Messi but all our players are doing well, he would have to wait. Trouble is if you wait you might drop 3 points, points that could have been won had the better player on the bench been starting.

If Lloris is better than Friedel, play him next game. If Friedel is seen as better, then why did we spend millions on a reserve.

Friedel has the place and is performing.

I do not KNOW Lloris is better.

If he is it wont take him long to usurp Friedel will it?

In the meantime its hardly like we have Gomes at his worst doing the job....

The Lloris/Deschamps story is pretty silly, albeit revealing for the kind of coverage AVB should expect. The reality is AVB was likely to get criticized/questioned whatever he said. But in terms of what he did say I think he no other realistic choice. Lloris has not even trained at the club, and despite being quality and (in my view) likely to take the No1 jersey sooner rather than later, cannot simply expect to waltz in to replace a keeper in great form. Moreover, considering Friedel was MOTM against Norwich it would have been particularly stupid for AVB to come out and say anything other than what he did. We can have genuine debate as the season unfolds about the wisdom of AVB's tactics, selection and whatever else comes up, indeed we will. But in this case AVB has done nothing wrong.

I've been critical of AVB this season and critical of his appointment in the first place, but he's said nothing wrong in this case. What's he supposed to say, "Brad played well today, but we've just signed another keeper so to the bench he goes." Man the fudge up Hugo! You'll get your chance sooner or later.

No one is saying Brad keeps the shirt indefinitely.

People are saying Brad has earnt the shirt, and deserves to keep it until such a time Lloris has earnt it from him.

To the end that Brad should start against Reading, and Lloris should be given an opportunity against Lazio. Where it goes from there is up to the players.

If Lloris is as good as you think he is he should not need assurances of his place, he should not take exception to the idea of competition and he should indeed take that position in short order and hold onto it.

From Spurs point of view two top keepers in competition for the place is a lot better than one who has been crapped out of the team because we brought a new player.

Always says it better then i can.

Damn you. :p

I've been critical of AVB this season and critical of his appointment in the first place, but he's said nothing wrong in this case. What's he supposed to say, "Brad played well today, but we've just signed another keeper so to the bench he goes." Man the fudge up Hugo! You'll get your chance sooner or later.

If anything AVB is displaying too much loyalty to those in possession e.g. continuing to pick Defoe and Livermore over Ade and Dembele. It's an admirable sentiment (easing the new boys in and demonstrably making them earn their shirts), but it's frustrating that we're not playing our strongest team.

[REMOVED] I would phase him out over the next 3 or 4 games, because we need a keeper who can get outside of the 6 yard box.

If anything AVB is displaying too much loyalty to those in possession e.g. continuing to pick Defoe and Livermore over Ade and Dembele. It's an admirable sentiment (easing the new boys in and demonstrably making them earn their shirts), but it's frustrating that we're not playing our strongest team.

[REMOVED] I would phase him out over the next 3 or 4 games, because we need a keeper who can get outside of the 6 yard box.

Cannot wait to see the heat you get for this one mate!
My feelings on Brad are clear...a fine keeper who's time is just about up. I will court further controversy and say that when Gomes made 2-3 brilliant saves per game but didn't save a stoppable shot, he got pilloried because, well, he's Gomes. The press works in mysterious ways...

I'm sure Lloris knows he wont jump into the team and it may take 2/3 games to get starts in the league but its fairly obvious that long term he will be the no 1.

What still gets me is that I seem to be the only one on here who remembers that when Lloris went to Lyon we were heavily linked with him. I wonder if we have followed him and kept in contact all that time since.

Trust me, you aren't the only one. I really wanted us to sign him back then too. Lloris was the best keeper who could be signed, by Spurs, in FM, as well as being a top keeper in reality, so there was every reason why I wanted him to sign.

Trust me, you aren't the only one. I really wanted us to sign him back then too. Lloris was the best keeper who could be signed, by Spurs, in FM, as well as being a top keeper in reality, so there was every reason why I wanted him to sign.

I'm not talking about fans wanting to sign him. I'm talking about concrete interest and enquiries from the club but for whatever reason he chose/moved to Lyon.

Remember Villas Boas saying after we signed Adebayor that he didn't expect to sign any more strikers? He said that he would rather have two first choice strikers and have the third option be someone younger so they challenge more rigourously for the striking position without sulking about a lack of game time. He said if you have three top strikers the third will always start to complain.

So why has he thought it a good idea to have two first choice keepers? Doesn't the same principle apply? And already it appears that Lloris is unhappy. He's a very good kepper but how well he will adapt we can't tel yet. For all we know he could have a awful start like Gomes or he could be amazing. At the moment he is a risk.

But if Lloris is better than we have to drop Freidel. A player who already has made a big contribution to the team and who looks to be on fire. So either way someone has to suffer.

Seems to me like Villas-Boas man managment skills are still very, very poor. Under Redknapp the players were used to having a manager who's man mangament skills were very good. Sure he might have had his moments like with Darren Bent's missed header but on the whole he was very good at man mangament. Under Villas Boas the players now have a manager who's very different. This can't be good for the continuity of where we left off.

I'm not going to make a full on judgment on Villas Boas as manager of us just yet but at the moment things seem like they could be done alot better.

Lloris not starting is a joke. Do any of you honestly think it's good for our transfer policy that we finally bring in world class talent, only to have him set on the bench? I'm sure players will be dying to earn their place under AVB after this.

Try this:
- avb knows brad needs to be replaced and signs a great keeper when the opportunity arises
- brad does well, at the same time new faces coming in to team
- avb needs to be consistent with his overall philosophy - "who fits the system and plays well stays" - a message to both old and new players
- avb knows that sooner or later, in training or in games, lloris is going to shine and everyone accepts brad is good, lloris is better
- lloris starts - everyone is happy

Try this:
- avb knows brad needs to be replaced and signs a great keeper when the opportunity arises
- avb needs to be consistent with his overall philosophy - "who fits the system and plays well stays" - a message to both old and new players
- avb knows that sooner or later, in training or in games, lloris is going to shine and everyone accepts brad is good, lloris is better

don't go bringing logic and common sense into the argument, that doesn't fit the crisis narrative

Try this:

Bingo.

Also consider Lloris hasnt even trained with us yet. Will be off with France currently and wont return until (my guess) Thursday. He might get a couple of sessions in before Reading, but likely less if we accomodate some settling in time at the training ground.

In fact that might count for everyone - arent we moving to the new place this week?

So Lloris misses the Reading game in the interests of team continuity as well as that stated above. After that?

We have a solid three days of training to assess and prepare for Lazio with (my guess) Lloris getting a chance to impress.

Take it from there

Bingo.

Also consider Lloris hasnt even trained with us yet. Will be off with France currently and wont return until (my guess) Thursday. He might get a couple of sessions in before Reading, but likely less if we accomodate some settling in time at the training ground.

In fact that might count for everyone - arent we moving to the new place this week?

So Lloris misses the Reading game in the interests of team continuity as well as that stated above. After that?

We have a solid three days of training to assess and prepare for Lazio with (my guess) Lloris getting a chance to impress.

Take it from there

You have made it sound like he is on trial.

He is, sort of. He needs to show he is up to speed/understands our way/prove he is better.

I wouldnt have him straight into the team, without even having worked with them before, when we have a perfectly good keeper in place.

Back