• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Agree with all of that except that Hugo was about 3/4 yards from that post and gets beaten again at the near post.

It’s an issue IMO

My mate claims he isn’t big enough... maybe thats right

What’s for sure is we have keepers in this league with very different strengths and a sweeper keeper is what he excels at

The bolded bit is spot on, i have always said ( and got stick for saying it). Loris is the best sweeper keeper around but he has faults and is the reason i have always said he is a very good keeper but NOT world class ( imo) like some fans have suggested he is.

That was a fantastic shot, but I think Lloris reacted a split second too late. There is a momentary pause after the shot before he starts moving. Henceforth I will call it the 'oh brick' moment.

I would prefer to quote the Archdeacon of St. Ogg's

Even the best get beaten by that type of worldy. It was right into the top left hand corner, could not have been placed much more accurately, and was hit with real pace.

The only thing I would say is the likes of De Gea and Courtois are that much taller and have greater reach when at full stretch, so maybe they'd have stood a better chance.
And it was on the up and straight, so even getting a hand to it makes it hard to stop it as you have to get to it and push it away - alot of long shots GKs use the pace and angle of the shot to direct it.

I’d say Courtois and De Gea are both some way ahead of Hugo when it comes to their all-round games. Ederson looks good from what I’ve seen so far and Pickford definitely has promise.

I still think we miss a trick having Hugo as captain. There are better options, imo.

Courtois is so over rated IMO
Awful at shots form distance
Not got great distribution
Not sure he excels at anything

I’d say Courtois and De Gea are both some way ahead of Hugo when it comes to their all-round games. Ederson looks good from what I’ve seen so far and Pickford definitely has promise.

I still think we miss a trick having Hugo as captain. There are better options, imo.

I would go along with that as well, never liked seeing a keeper as a captain as he is so far away from the game on occasion.

Ederson is a very good goal keeper. BUT he is getting a lot of recognition for things that are not normal Keeper play. Like his passing and comfort with the ball at his feet. I dont think after half a season he should be considered the best keeper in the league. No way.

Courtois thinks he is better then he is. Still a very good goal keeper. De Gea has made me stand up this season. He has made a lot over very good saves.

Hugo still have a weakness with crosses, too much punching.

id go:

1. De Gea
2. Courtois
3. Hugo
4. Ederson
5. Butland

I’d go based on this season

Emerson who has made a massive difference to city
De Gea who is still a vampire and scared of crosses
Pope who has been outstanding but is only just starting out
Hugo and Courtois level as both have had dodgy moments

This is very silly, please expound and consider whether Poch/Conte would swap for Pope

Did you read my comments... it’s based on this season alone. Pope has not made the mistakes others have and has been excellent between the posts of a team that up until recently had the best defensive record in the country

They wouldn’t swap now, but who knows how good this lad may become (it could be a complete flash in the pan)

He has regressed this season. You just know that he is struggling when he starts punching everything. He drains the confidence of the defence when he does this.

I am shocked about the lack of Pickford in these, hes class
Last night didn’t help him.

I like him and butland though, hopefully Eng are sorted for a decade now, it’s been a problem area since Seaman really and his best performances were always for Arsenal anyway.

For Pochettino Lloris means much more to the team than just his goalkeeping. So before exchanging him right now for a younger, brighter prospect who is maybe already better equipped. you would also have to factor in what Lloris means to Poch and the impact his departure might have on the rest of the team.

To illustrate the point, here is some of what Poch has to say about Lloris in Brave New World, pp54-55:

"We see Hugo Lloris as the best goalkeeper in the world."

"Hugo is special ... he's a mature person, a moral leader who has real authority, because of his professionalism and because of the way he is. I almost consider him to be part of the coaching staff because he embodies the philosophy that we want to champion in our game when he's on the pitch: possession, attacking mentality, not in fear of a high line, an active and brave goalkeeper who's good on the ball."

Back