• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Not calling for him to be dropped or anything but I think he’s been far more error prone since the away game at City last season when he was at fault for both as I recall.

This season, in the big games, he cost us goals at home to Chelsea, away to Liverpool and yesterday. Even against Juve, he should have done better.

There was a time when Hugo was too good for us. He’s not as dependable as those days and we’ve gotten far better as a team. Hopefully he can get these mistakes out of his game.

Away to pool?

Not sure i go along with those who say he is not as good as he was when he first came here, he was/ is still a very good keeper but ( imo) i have never thought he was world class which i have heard some of our fans call him.

That comes back to what people perceive to be world class

I regularly get told De Gea is the best, yet he can’t deal with crosses and rarely leaves his 6 yard box... he wouldnt work for us but suits a team like united who don’t play from the back.

The best all round keeper I’ve seen this season plays for city but his plaudits have dropped a she hardly ever faces a shot ... so has the opposite issue

Not calling for him to be dropped or anything but I think he’s been far more error prone since the away game at City last season when he was at fault for both as I recall.

This season, in the big games, he cost us goals at home to Chelsea, away to Liverpool and yesterday. Even against Juve, he should have done better.

There was a time when Hugo was too good for us. He’s not as dependable as those days and we’ve gotten far better as a team. Hopefully he can get these mistakes out of his game.

That is a fair summery.

I dont think hes been great this year, seem to be flapping rather than punching at a lot of crossing - but hes allowed one poor season, and that is by his standards.

Salad’s goal. He wasn’t the only one to blame by a long shot but went down too early and made the finish easier than it should have been. He’s done it a few times now.
Think that’s harsh personally
Chaos shot hit at the lower part of the body is always the hardest to save IMO

Agreed but if he stands up, he makes that finish a lot harder for Salah. By going to ground early, Salah has an easier option and was good enough to take it.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Hugo is world class and has been terrific for us. He also stuck with us when we were a mess and he could have gone elsewhere. He’s obviously a leader in the dressing room. For all those reasons,I think he’s justifiably our undisputed number one. He’s just been a bit more ropey over the last year than his first few seasons at the club.

You notice and over analyse any Lloris mistake and there is enough time in between mistakes that they all stand out.....

....tells it's own story

He's the best keeper we've had in my lifetime. That doesn't mean however that he is immune to making mistakes and we shouldn't be able to discuss those mistakes when they happen. He's clearly a better keeper than Vorm but I have to admit that Lloris doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in the big games. He often saves his worst performances/errors for the big games. When you play against the likes of United, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea and Pool, the games are often decided by a single goal and you just can't afford to gift goals to those teams.

Not sure about the Liverpool game? IIRC Dier dropped a gonad* for their first goal but don't recall Lloris making any mistakes? Agree with the others, he made howlers against Emirates Marketing Project last season and against Liverpool. Not to mention both games against Chelsea this season so I don't think it's a one time thing unfortunately. He's absolutely immense in the rest of the games typically.

He's the best keeper we've had in my lifetime. That doesn't mean however that he is immune to making mistakes and we shouldn't be able to discuss those mistakes when they happen. He's clearly a better keeper than Vorm but I have to admit that Lloris doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in the big games. He often saves his worst performances/errors for the big games. When you play against the likes of United, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea and Pool, the games are often decided by a single goal and you just can't afford to gift goals to those teams.

He is ... easily, a lot of fans forget how much Brad seemed like a taste of sanity after decades of jokers.

He makes mistakes, as does every other keeper, people talk about Courtois, he was beaten from fudging half line by Charlie Adams. Lloris needs to own the error on week-end, he misjudged getting there and that's 100% on him, but de Gea, Nauer have all done the same at points.

I think the last point is a little tough, the best teams have players that test you the most, hence more likely to make mistakes. Can't say I go into big games worrying about Lloris fudging up, think about United, City, Pool, Chelsea, Scum, Madrid, Juve, Dortmund, etc this season .. how many mistakes did he really make that lead to goals?

That comes back to what people perceive to be world class

I regularly get told De Gea is the best, yet he can’t deal with crosses and rarely leaves his 6 yard box... he wouldnt work for us but suits a team like united who don’t play from the back.

The best all round keeper I’ve seen this season plays for city but his plaudits have dropped a she hardly ever faces a shot ... so has the opposite issue

Fair points (especially the bit about perception of world class), all keepers make mistakes ( i even saw the great Jennings make ONE :)) but Lloris seems to make the same ones quite a bit ( he gets beaten at his near post quite a bit and he does have a tendency to flap at crosses),, however he is a very good keeper ( third best i have seen in our goal) and i am not looking for a replacement.

lloris got flack because he made an individual mistake which immediately led to the goal......what happened long before is not important
Disagree. Both are important. Unsuccessful pressing from the front is likely to be disastrous in a high pressing system. Well worth pointing out when we get it wrong. Pochettino changed it to Lamela up front at half time and seemed unhappy about our first half pressing in the post match interview.

Back