• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
fudge it, do what you want - makes no effin difference, unless you are Daniel Levy.[/QUOTE]

And that pretty much sums this thread up. It's all up to Daniel. Whatever we post on here regarding anything pertaining to the club makes not one iota of difference.

The idea is sound, but do you honestly see either of them agreeing to that?

Levy: H, I want you to train AVB how to handle people so he can take over from you

H: fudge off.

Levy: AVB, I want you to work as No. 2 to Harry

AVB: fudge off (in Portuguese)

I never said what I would like and what is likely were on converging courses

O:)

Agreed. To be honest, I was expecting him to be fired after the two Manchester games earlier this season. Was quite surprised he survived them. I've personally had the hunch that Levy has been waiting (maybe even setting up) for Redknapp to fail so he can be publically justified in getting rid of him. He knows he can't risk another Jol fiasco though, so is biding his time.

Nope.
He genuinely thought, as everyone did, as harry did, that at the end of the season, Harry would be announced as Fabio's replacement. Not in Feb. The biggest worry was whether to stick with a manager who could actually have done time and was going to go through a MAJOR court case. A GENUINE concern I'd say. Especially as we have been working very very hard to try and tie-up the stadium/get naming rights. Levy made the decision early on to stick behind him through what may with regards to the case; generous I'd say. I personally cannot imagine what any potential multi-million pound sponsor would've thought of a manager declaring via national media that he writes like a two year old and that he has no clue whatsoever with financial stuff. Not the greatest comments to be heard internationally from a top football manager/representative of his club. No MK, Levy was actually doing the right thing. Indeed, the person who changed our season was John Terry. The knock-on effect his mouth caused was catastrophic for us. Can i ask, do you GENUINELY think Daniel Levy sits there waiting for the right omen to sack Harry Redknapp/has been waiting but has been prevented by how "well' we've done Please mate...if you think about it, that just doesn't make sense. Like all of us, he'd have been far far far happier if we'd got 3rd and were in the CL, right?

Yup, and the ironic thing is that if he was a little bit more accepting of some responsibility, people would probably be more accepting of the faults. They'd be more inclined then to say 'fair enough, he fudged up but don't we all from time to time, he's still got us into the top 4 twice and deserves another go' but instead people are utterly fed up with it and want him out.

The more he tries to deny any responsibility the more he shows that he isn't the long term man for us. It's because he's backtracking on everything he has said, and therefore he cannot be trusted. We'll never know where we stand with him.

Now where did you hear that before mate? ;)...

His own son (ghost)wrote an article on why Harry was perfect for the England job.

Do you think this was done totally against daddy's wishes considering how close they are?

Scara...one day it will all come out. Until then, we're just going to have to watch him slowly, ever-so-slowly, crucify himself. I suppose my main gripe about that is that our club gets dragged around with all his flimflam...

The great Neil Young wrote a song about G.Bush, it was called flip flop and it suits Redknapp down to the ground.

Disagree.
Give Harry credit here parklane, he has ALWAYS been consistent with regards to being about "Harry first' and whatever it takes to get there...

@robspur12

i can only assume you've decided to use selective reading on that. case in point below

Can't understand the difference between retaining and holding water btw.

the difference isnt in the words retaining and holding (surprised THATS what stood out in that line tbh. weird. as the reason i used two different words was to avoid tautology. yes i am still learning this language) you'd think that someone would rather focus on these two

I do think though that ALOT of what those that would like him to part ways with us are saying cant retain much water,

as in alot of the individual POINTS of what people are saying , IMO ,(something that i would assume goes without saying) for the most part isnt valid / fair/ accurate / logical

many of the points cant actually hold any water

in this one ALOT of the individual points made , again IMO, are outright rubbish.

none of the statements says everyones opinion is totally rubbish and incorrect, and nothing there says that all of the opinions are rubbish

i can only assume that the word easily thrown out like "ALOT" are what happened to hit a note? which is understandable but not intentional

i am genuinely shocked and perplexed to the point of jaw dropping that out of all the 100 pages and more that you've read on this thing with the abuse, threats, patronisations galore, straw man tactics, balls chopping, etc etc etc.......that you found that innocent line from an individual's opinion to be one of the worst.....speechless. this whole post to soothe a bruised ego (and by the end of all this am actually smiling/smirking abit....)

Last edited:
just edited this post as it adds nothing to the thread (why cant i sue two different words and all that) but i can clearly see where this is going. its about picking sides . if i have to pick one that i'm a pro redknapp player even though i'm not as bothered or heavily invested in this thing

Last edited:
was reading the thread backwards and have just seen this. confirms my thoughts that its an Either for or against scenario as the issues are coming from those that really want him out. might as well make myself comfortable in this argument

African, can you not see the way he has always protected himself and said the right words in interviews to suit him and absolve himself of any blame. Look how now it suits him to say that players heads are turned if the manager is leaving; when he said the opposite when he was speculated to be in line for the England job.

this doesnt bother me nearly as much as it does you and it isnt a reason to get rid of a successful manager. if anything i'd be happy he lost the job cause now it means we can push on with real success. try not believing everything said in the press ESPECIALLY from redknapp , its like ITKs (who infuriate me btw)....cant taken them at face value. as for him saying that players heads might get turned? he's bargaining for a contract that was on the table not 4 months ago. would you give up all that money? i most likely wouldnt. the only thing you can say is maybe for the sake of fans like yourself that take newspaper comments seriously and to heart as often as you do when harry is concerned...maybe he should just zip it for a while and provide some quality ass licking lip service. you know, play the political game. be fake and phoney (in professional sports this isnt a bad thing at all btw)

Look at how quickly he lost a 13 point advantage then claiming himself that he didn't know what went wrong, as he had the players weren't changing what they were doing in training when we were winning.

yeah this bit i have to agree is a bit suspicious, even though his comments are plausible i cant help but see the correlation to bad form, direction, and low confidence of the players when the england job was hovering as opposed to when it wasnt available. and i think he knew what was going wrong personally, most people could see it so why he denies its existence is news to me.

Look at how his lack of man management has costs us players like Corluka and Bassong; who were very promising in the team that got us fourth; and now we have lots of rebuilding to do. The squad is full of aging players, all because Harry had short term glory in mind as he thought he was leaving. We may have had our 3 best finishes in a row for a while, however the squad needs a massive overhaul because players don't want to play for him and this could disrupt our progress.

you see , this is a point that i think holds no water whatsoever.......

we were on one fudging HUUUUUGE winning streak , but you want harry to go and change the team? for what exactly? we're winning for goodness sake. did you complain about man management when we were winning? or after we were losing? Charlie wanted to play, simple as that.....bassong wanted to play, neither could get a game and so they engineered moves and harry is his all bricky man management skills allegedly gave the players what they wanted, when he could have just as easily kept them, miserable..all so to stop people throwing his squad rotation and man management skills at his face when the going gets tough

as for the squad being filled with ageing players, what are you complaining about exactly?
friedel? take it you wanted gomes in there. i dont
gallas? mr reliable and mr big game bottle himself who has played well every game he's played
parker? player of the season potentially?
nelsen and saha? two players coming in as a stop gap which we desperately needed, the former not having a single bad game for us and the latter a good striker , especially third striker to allow us to keep our formation and victim of the teams bad run.......
or is it the fact that we havent re-invested into more younger and much more expensive players for the sake of average squad age? something i think you might want to address with levy and the hordes of teams out there using currency in a recession like its monopoly money. If we cant afford the expensive yonger players at the right price to make a difference then we dont buy, pretty simple...and instead we make do. Its easy to moan when it isnt you thats spending the capital..MILLIONs of pounds risked all so that us fans on the internet can be happy at home or our work place. no thanks. the age isnt a big issue for me.

I don't want us to be making Nelsen, Saha and Pienaar signings each season just because redkanpp only has the short term in view.

yes because if Harry his ideal situation, he would go out there and sign players like nelsen , saha and pienaar. who the hell is sandro, a younger defoe, palacious, kaboul or our other transfer targets etc etc etc, redknapp has the money he just chooses not to spend it but would rather loan players and get ageing guys on the cheap. This kind of logic cant make sense to you, it just cant

These are all valid points and I fail to see how people say that these points do not hold any water? Conversely I appreciate the work he has done for us; when we are good we can be really good but its very rare nowdays.

LOL, very rare indeed.....this is quite frankly just a symptom that you dont like him, i bet you liked Jol ? yet harry has outperformed him at every corner all things spurs AND in case you forgot...us being good being rare is a remarkable scenario seeing as we have been 4th twice and 5th once. to rarely be good and still finish in these positions. quite impressive..where was that luck in the CL final

Harry's stubborness in squad selection and formation has cost us; how many times have we played to our potential this season; we have scraped through a lot of games on individual and unfortunately when we've actually come across decent teams we've been punished. For me the future seems to short term with Redknapp, we need to build dynasty and instill a concrete way of playing like Fergie and Wenger have done.

if people like you had their way fergie and wenger would have been sacked . thats reality right there. success for those two have come with upper board room loyalty and patience. something that you dont show in your arguments

can you swear on the lives of people you hold dear that when we were winning you felt that we didnt play well and that we were lucky to win most of those games? i dont remember many complaining at the time as it would hav stood out quite a bit.....actually come to think of it.......i do remember you complaining during our winning streak.

as for getting punished by decent teams......we didnt lose to chelsea in the league, Saudi Sportswashing Machine or liverpool .....we lost once to arsenal and twice to the two manchester teams. i fail to see how its a given that when we play decent teams we lose. feel free to re-write history and call liverpool a crap team in hindsight or say that the decent teams we beat are not as good as people make out. it certainly works well when people are on a lynching

infact tell me the decent teams we lost to?

Sorry Mick can't agree. Much more important in our mediocre years was having Sugar in charge who while stabilising the club made horiffic footballing decisions. Ramos in hindsight was a mistake but at the time of the Carling Cup most spurs fans were dreaming of great things. If levy identifies the right man ( In Levy I trust) and can keep our team together that will be more important than changing the manager. Harry has done nothing in his career to suggest to me that he can or even wants to build a dynasty in the same way as Wenger and Ferguson.

Give him a chance maybe? invest funds in his direction? show a bit of patience? ferguson was on his way out the door but luckily got the backing

what traits or actions has harry done to show that he doesnt want to build a dynasty? if you mention spending big then i can pretty much say i dont agree already (in anticipation of what that kind of response might entail)

honestly whats the issue here with harry not showing he would want to create something? Has anyone ever given him an opportunity like this before? and when he was at west ham didnt it look like he was trying to build something? just before the bosses would sell off his best players

and levy as it happens (the guy you trust) has identified harry as the man he wants. he offered him a contract

Nope.
He genuinely thought, as everyone did, as harry did, that at the end of the season, Harry would be announced as Fabio's replacement. Not in Feb. The biggest worry was whether to stick with a manager who could actually have done time and was going to go through a MAJOR court case. A GENUINE concern I'd say. Especially as we have been working very very hard to try and tie-up the stadium/get naming rights. Levy made the decision early on to stick behind him through what may with regards to the case; generous I'd say. I personally cannot imagine what any potential multi-million pound sponsor would've thought of a manager declaring via national media that he writes like a two year old and that he has no clue whatsoever with financial stuff. Not the greatest comments to be heard internationally from a top football manager/representative of his club. No MK, Levy was actually doing the right thing. Indeed, the person who changed our season was John Terry. The knock-on effect his mouth caused was catastrophic for us. Can i ask, do you GENUINELY think Daniel Levy sits there waiting for the right omen to sack Harry Redknapp/has been waiting but has been prevented by how "well' we've done Please mate...if you think about it, that just doesn't make sense. Like all of us, he'd have been far far far happier if we'd got 3rd and were in the CL, right?

I agree with this, the honest Joe act that Harry put on at his trail was laughable, could you imagine if Mr Redknap was not so media friendly he would have been crucified by the press, when you think of the way this season has transpired ( court case, England job, Chelscum winning CL ) it could only happen to Tottenham, I personally would like to see things "as they were" for next season but I dont think that is going to happen.

Tottenham Hotspur Should Hold Redknapp's Feet to the Fire over His Contract

By Trent Scott (Contributor) on June 7, 2012

822reads

His head’s been turned. It’s probably been turned again last night. We all know what goes on in the game. Anyone who thinks he’s not being told what’s going on is dreaming.

I don’t know. Someone’s in his ear. That’s how this game works, isn’t it? It’s part of football, whether it’s agents talking to him, I don’t know. He’s getting advised maybe not to play today. We’ve seen it before

Harry Redknapp was referring, of course, to the Luka Modric situation at the beginning of the 2011-2012 campaign (h/t Daily Mail).

He might like to forget some of the things he’s said, though, about the little Croatian midfielder as he tries to get a new contract from Tottenham this summer.

Having played the UAE card for the second time, Redknapp is trying to beef up his own wages as he enters the last season of his own contract.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy, meanwhile, seems content to let Redknapp sit on his heels for a while, according to ESPN Soccernet.

Can you blame him?

In one of the great cases of football “do as I say, not as I do” in some time, Redknapp repeatedly told reporters that Modric was not going to be allowed to leave for Chelsea, only for the club to watch Redknapp become the “next” England manager (until he wasn’t).

During the same stretch that Redknapp was in the frame to manage the national team, Tottenham nosedived from a 10-point lead over fourth place and five points off the title pace to falling five points behind third and in danger of missing the Champions League places.

Strangely, after Roy Hodgson was announced as England manager, Tottenham took 10 of the 12 final points available to them after picking up six of the previous 27 possible.

As such, Levy and the Tottenham board are not exactly enthused by the latest attempt by Redknapp to sweeten his own piece of the pie.

The idea of Redknapp in the Middle East is not a first, as back in 2010 Al Ahli made inroads on the Tottenham manager’s mind with a ?ú3 million a year, tax-free job offer.

Redknapp knows he has had that in his back pocket and has brought it back out, along with Wayne Rooney’s agent Paul Stretford, in the attempt to sign a more lucrative extension.

With all this in play, Tottenham have a decision to make in the near future.

And, if they’re smart, they’ll make Harry earn every penny of that deal over the coming season.

Levy and the Tottenham board have every right to stick to their guns this offseason and force Redknapp to sweat on a new deal.

Redknapp has called into question the commitment of players who have been looking elsewhere to play, and it’s only fair that Tottenham do the same for Redknapp.

After his spiel that the Champions League was “overrated” (h/t Sky Sports) in regards to players moving to other squads, Redknapp furthered his point when he said, “If you pay players enough money and you give them good enough contracts and you show that you're ambitious, they'll come to your club.”

If nothing else, Redknapp sounds like he is trying to make as great an excuse as he can that cash is the reason why certain players want to leave and why others don’t want to come.

Needless to say, the pot and kettle just had a conference call on the situation and determined they are, in fact, both black.

Redknapp ought to be grateful that Spurs didn’t boot him after his dismal run and his flirting with the FA, regardless of whether or not he’s willing to admit that.

With at least two managers that could probably be talked into the Spurs job (the suddenly-roaming Wigan boss Roberto Martinez and Everton’s David Moyes have both been rumored at various points this calendar year), Redknapp is not exactly in a position of strength.

He may feel as if he has leverage, but the hiring of Stretford sends a signal that he needed reinforcements in his battle with Levy.

With the Chelsea and Liverpool jobs sewn up, Redknapp would only have his options in the UAE to fall back on. As much as he harps on others staying with Tottenham and not having their head's turned, he also has to know that doing so himself would land him the label of "hypocrite" for some time to come.

In this instance, Redknapp knows he is in a very weak spot and is hoping that his charm and personality can win over the public domain.

Tottenham are still holding strong on the futures of Modric and Gareth Bale, while the (potential) addition of Jan Vertonghen indicates that the squad are looking for the right combination of players to make another run at the top four.

Tottenham should hold strong on Redknapp as well, making sure that it's clear that his job is in London and that if he wishes to try his luck elsewhere, he'd be making a grave error in judgment.

If they cave to Redknapp's demands, it wouldn't be long before Modric, back from Euro 2012, would be raising hell about the fact that the manager gets his way and yet the players aren't.

It will be a tricky situation, but in the end, if Spurs hold the line, all parties will know that staying in place is the best route available and that a contract will eventually get hammered out later in the year.

Once that happens, it will be up to Redknapp and the squad to reclaim the heights they should have held at the conclusion of last season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-redknapps-feet-to-the-fire-over-his-contract

If you want to change your mind go ahead

I say "he may have" because unlike some of the know all knobheads that post on here, I don't have the ability to read minds or know what people think.

You say he could have killed the speculation, no brick Sherlock! Do you want me to explain why he didn't? fudge me, you say these things like you are unearthing hidden secrets.

Liverpools project? fudging what? Now you are speaking in Emirates Marketing Project speak.

I had some respect for you, because you originally made some sense, but now you are admitting to being an arcspace acolyte and talking babblebrick and believing in AVB. What next - get Benitez in?

PS, I do not think that HR is an untouchable managerial guru. I can probably name 10 managers I'd prefer to have, if I try hard, but we wont get them.

AVB isn't one of them, maybe in time, but not right now - HR will do better.

As I said before, getting AVB in to work under HR, so he can learn the skills to manage footballers, whilst working with HR tactically - I can buy into. But on his own - no.

I would like you to explain why he didn't kill the speculation to be honest. Actually, I want it to be explained why it is acceptable that he didn't kill it, when he knew that it could affect our form. He saw it happen to Fergie, so he would have had some idea from the very start. Why didn't he kill it? Probably because he wanted to go to England. Why is that acceptable? For us? I don't know. I really don't know.

That is what kicked off our bad form and started the slide. It wasn't because he is suddenly a bad manager. But his ommission puts the blame at his door.

I think if he stays, and is rewarded with a new contract, he will probably get us at least 6th again. But because we have a talented squad, so would any competent manager. If we knew how utterly brick Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal would be this year, I think 4th would be the absolute minimum and it certainly wouldn't have been hailed as a great achievement. They aren't going to be that brick again. Maybe Arsenal can still be catchable, but if they decide to spend more after losing RVP it won't be easy. Liverpool will be coming up strong with Rodgers. I used the word 'project' as a substitute for the sentance 'If Liverpool make use of their strong commercial revenue, transfer budget and superior wage structure to us, with Rodgers they will be closing the gap on the top 4 very quickly'. It wasn't really the crux of my argument.

3rd should have been ours. I find the 'We was 3rdz' joke to be very funny, and tried to be philosophical about it after the season, thinking 'well maybe Arsenal did have the better squad all along', but no, fudge that. They went a month with all 4 full backs injured. They had Wheelchair out for the entire season. They had their worst start for 100 years. They lost their 2 key players and had to replace them with late panic buys. Were they fudge better than us. The reason we didn't finish above them was because of a slide, started by the England speculation that Harry did nothing to stop. Not because he isn't a good manager or suddenly started making a raft of mistakes that fans with hindsight can say they knew better on. But because he didn't do right by us. The argument is that Levy hasn't sacked him yet and that speaks volumes, but he also isn't rushing to give him the contract either. He knows he isn't the absolute best option for us. If he stays, we will probably maintain a top 6 finish. But frankly because of his actions my opinion went from 'He needs to be backed or sacked' to 'I want him to go' because there's only so many times the intelligence can be insulted. I'm surprised more people aren't furious about the fact that he didn't do anything to stop the speculation after he's admitted it causes problems, but whatever.

And I haven't been swayed by Arc or anyone else, I'm not his acolyte. The only person that swayed my thoughts was HR, and I can form my own opinions on what he says. I was more than willing to back him until that ommision. I was more than willing to lay the blame at our poor run of form on bad luck/fixtures but with that omision, it basically rendered whatever I was arguing completely wrong. We didn't know all the facts and now we do. I was willing to take HR's claim that footballer's don't care and back him on that. But now he's contradicted himself.

I want AVB in because I think to get to a higher level than we are now, we need someone who is going to be a bit radical. We need to do something different to make our players over perform. No matter how much money we give Harry, it is never going to be as much as Chelsea or the Manchesters can give their managers, so he will always be falling slightly short of them. Swansea, Norwich and Wigan (when they decided to be) were radical this year, and got results beyond what was expected of them. It didn't work with AVB at Chelsea, but I feel our players would suit him more. It's no surprise all 3 of those managers have been highly sought after by the big clubs. I think it's unique in that we've seen 3 special managers in the league at the same time all doing something special, and I'd like us to hop aboard that train before it leaves the station without us.

It didn't work with AVB at Chelsea, but I feel our players would suit him more. It's

Here's an interesting quote from Drogba that says it all really

"Football is funny. I remember in November Villas-Boas had told me we would win the Champions League.

"I responded 'Are you dreaming or what? We've lost all our values. There's no more team. It's impossible'. Finally the return of the old players, with Lampard and me, did the team good."

Drogba added that order had been restored by the interim head coach, Roberto Di Matteo, following Chelsea's 2-1 victory over Liverpool in the FA Cup final earlier in the month

He said: "When the house was a bit burnt in the previous months, we always defended the club's culture and identity. The party was huge in the dressing room."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/22/didier-drogba-villas-boas-chelsea

It pretty obvious all along what happened over there.

Here's an interesting quote from Drogba that says it all really

"Football is funny. I remember in November Villas-Boas had told me we would win the Champions League.

"I responded 'Are you dreaming or what? We've lost all our values. There's no more team. It's impossible'. Finally the return of the old players, with Lampard and me, did the team good."

Drogba added that order had been restored by the interim head coach, Roberto Di Matteo, following Chelsea's 2-1 victory over Liverpool in the FA Cup final earlier in the month

He said: "When the house was a bit burnt in the previous months, we always defended the club's culture and identity. The party was huge in the dressing room."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/22/didier-drogba-villas-boas-chelsea

It pretty obvious all along what happened over there.

yeah, the older players there were no longer being alienated. The older players at Chelsea are their best players, they needed to be in the team. AVB got it all wrong. Any changes he wanted to make should have been done in the summer

yeah, the older players there were no longer being alienated. The older players at Chelsea are their best players, they needed to be in the team. AVB got it all wrong. Any changes he wanted to make should have been done in the summer

He was playing the older players though.

He picked Drogba ahead of Torres a heck of a lot, and Lampard had played a fair amount of games too - he got 16 goals last season and played 49 times. Not all of those goals and appearances came after RDM took over.

I don't think it was a case of AVB not giving the older players a squad number and banishing them to the reserves as if it was Ramos with Prince-Boateng, he still played them, just slightly less than every game because he did try to initiate change slowly. It wasn't an instant cull as is being made out.

Last edited:
Back