• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
Hehe, honestly not swayed by the mob. I may not have the courage of my convictions but I like to think of myself as someone that isn't so stuck in his ways that he can never change his mind when different facts present themselves. Not saying that's you or anyone of course, but that interview really bothered me. I was happy to defend Harry before it, but he has said that speculation affects the players, and let speculation carry on while our season went from potentially one of the best in years to a complete joke.

I don't think he's suddenly a bad manager or that he hasn't done a good job while he was here, but there's clearly an impasse now with Levy and I'd prefer to get it sorted sooner rather than later. And just on a personal level I object to rewarding him with a new contract for the reasons in my previous paragraph. And for the fact that I'd rather a manager of the AVB or possibly Martinez ilk, someone that will be able to be a bit radical with us to give us an edge, considering we can't use money as our edge to get to the top. Somene with new ideas that won't just make players perform to their normal level, but will bring them together to go above that.

If you are daft enough to let comments like those make a difference to the way you think, then I would say that you have been swayed by the cackling AHB who see fault in everything he does, as they are so desperate to be proved right.

The one lesson that this club has signally failed to learn form the past, is that continuity is the key to management. If we continue to swap managers every 3 years, then we will never move forward, if you want proof, look in the history books. Then look at the league record under HR and the points per game figures.

Change your mind by all means, but to do it over a throwaway bit of chat on a golf course is just plain stupid. Do it for tangible reasons.

fudge it, do what you want - makes no effin difference, unless you are Daniel Levy.

its like staring into bedlam

some of you lot don't half print some tripe

My GG experience is so much better since I've started using the ignore function. I'm pretty much left with reasoned posters, making good points, rather than those seeking to promote an agenda or wallow in hypocrisy. Means I have to read through a lot less posts too! I wholly recommend it :twisted:

My GG experience is so much better since I've started using the ignore function. I'm pretty much left with reasoned posters, making good points, rather than those seeking to promote an agenda or wallow in hypocrisy. Means I have to read through a lot less posts too! I wholly recommend it :twisted:

then you wont be seeing this then..

nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh nyehnyeh nyeh nyeh ...... you're a trouble maker......\o/

Mick, do you want harry to stay or are you not bothered what Levy's next move is?

I want him to stay

I want continuity of management, I want to see Levy give the old git some money

and I want Harry to make a public statement to the effect that for the term of his contract, irrespective of any managerial changes in the England role, he will not be accepting or considering any offers - should they be forthcoming, due to contractual requirements.

Frankly, I couldn't care less if he discusses his contract publicly, its not what I'd do - but its his choice. At no time has he bad mouthed the club, or the board or complained about anything. He's stated that he'd like to commit to the club long term, which given the complaints about him by people posting on here, should shut people up - but now it becomes a stick to beat him with.

Go figure

It's a funny old world, I used to be first on your ignore list.

I think I'm going to cry........

If you feel I have tried to bully you then you have my apologies. I can assure you the only motive behind my posts was "wake up call" not "Get him!".

I am most certainly not a hypocrite, and resent being called as such. We may differ in opinions but there is no hypocrisy here.

You may feel you are taking a light hearted approach (which I am pleased to hear) but it hasnt come through from where Im sitting. It still seems like a war of attrition on both sides, you being the most vocal 'loyalist'.

It would help, I think, if people made a concerted effort to tackle the post in question - rather than their preconceptions of the poster and their stance.

All to often I see/raise a point and an altogether different or twisted version of it is answered.

I would suggest that if I make your GG experience less fun, as you stated earlier, that you just put me on your ignore list and then you won't have to put up with me any longer.

If you are daft enough to let comments like those make a difference to the way you think, then I would say that you have been swayed by the cackling AHB who see fault in everything he does, as they are so desperate to be proved right.

The one lesson that this club has signally failed to learn form the past, is that continuity is the key to management. If we continue to swap managers every 3 years, then we will never move forward, if you want proof, look in the history books. Then look at the league record under HR and the points per game figures.

Change your mind by all means, but to do it over a throwaway bit of chat on a golf course is just plain stupid. Do it for tangible reasons.

fudge it, do what you want - makes no effin difference, unless you are Daniel Levy.

It's not the chat. The chat, and exactly what he said, is IMO completely correct and fair. The point is, like Arc said, the total hypocricy. Actually it's not the hypocricy, because if he continued to get results despite being the most hypocritical bastard in the world, I wouldn't have a problem.

My actual problem, is that he is admitting that speculation affects players. And he did not put Spurs first when speculation was tearing apart our season, all the while insisting it didn't affect the players, because it was fine as he was going to get the England job. Now all of a sudden, it does affect them. Then why didn't he do anything about it knowing it had a direct impact on results? Why didn't he just say he wasn't interested? He could have said that if he was manager of Pompey or West Ham, then the England job would be a big pull (thereby covering himself that he had said he could never turn down the England job earlier in his career) but now he is the manager of title challengers and will have another crack at the Champions League next season, he doesn't want to leave. Then he could leave, knowing he had done well by the club, and no-one would actually remember it or care that much that he said he was staying, and would understand it was the best thing for us.

Again, it's not just the fact that he had a chat on the golf course. It's that he admitted speculation affected the team, but he was happy to deny there was any problem when it benefitted him, when he wanted to keep his fingers in the England pie.

I've also said that he needs to be backed or sacked. I'm not part of the AHB, I just personally would rather have him out now, because clearly there isn't unity from the board downwards in how they feel to their manager. And I'd argue that is as important as continuity. They don't really want to commit to him anymore. So I would rather have someone they do want. I think there are a couple of coaches around that have some radical ideas, and maybe if they were applied to us we may be able to overperform with a different edge and compete with the superior finances. We need to be a Swansea or Norwich or a Wigan, getting results above our station because we employ radical ideas that people haven't figured out yet. That's if we want to progress any further without the money right now IMO.

Harry would probably maintain top 6, but with the clubs with money getting their act together, it will be harder and harder for him to get top 4 again.

It's not the chat. The chat, and exactly what he said, is IMO completely correct and fair. The point is, like Arc said, the total hypocricy. Actually it's not the hypocricy, because if he continued to get results despite being the most hypocritical bastard in the world, I wouldn't have a problem.

My actual problem, is that he is admitting that speculation affects players. And he did not put Spurs first when speculation was tearing apart our season, all the while insisting it didn't affect the players, because it was fine as he was going to get the England job. Now all of a sudden, it does affect them. Then why didn't he do anything about it knowing it had a direct impact on results? Why didn't he just say he wasn't interested? He could have said that if he was manager of Pompey or West Ham, then the England job would be a big pull (thereby covering himself that he had said he could never turn down the England job earlier in his career) but now he is the manager of title challengers and will have another crack at the Champions League next season, he doesn't want to leave. Then he could leave, knowing he had done well by the club, and no-one would actually remember it or care that much that he said he was staying, and would understand it was the best thing for us.

Again, it's not just the fact that he had a chat on the golf course. It's that he admitted speculation affected the team, but he was happy to deny there was any problem when it benefitted him, when he wanted to keep his fingers in the England pie.

I've also said that he needs to be backed or sacked. I'm not part of the AHB, I just personally would rather have him out now, because clearly there isn't unity from the board downwards in how they feel to their manager. And I'd argue that is as important as continuity. They don't really want to commit to him anymore. So I would rather have someone they do want. I think there are a couple of coaches around that have some radical ideas, and maybe if they were applied to us we may be able to overperform with a different edge and compete with the superior finances. We need to be a Swansea or Norwich or a Wigan, getting results above our station because we employ radical ideas that people haven't figured out yet. That's if we want to progress any further without the money right now IMO.

Harry would probably maintain top 6, but with the clubs with money getting their act together, it will be harder and harder for him to get top 4 again.

Spot on yet again

He could have come out during the England speculation and demand his new contract form Levy then, and kill of all speculation. Where was this 'concern' back then, Arry?

Of course he didn't hoping he'd be chosen by the FA and now having to settle for second best has come crawling and begging his way into a longer deal.

I would suggest that if I make your GG experience less fun, as you stated earlier, that you just put me on your ignore list and then you won't have to put up with me any longer.

I would rather not, in all honesty, because in the right mood you are very good value.

Its happened to most of us at some point, an argument/topic sucks you in until you lose your cool and end up on a mission.

Sooner or later Harry will get sacked/get a new contract and you will calm down ;) Would be a shame to have you on ignore when you do.

I want him to stay

I want continuity of management, I want to see Levy give the old git some money

and I want Harry to make a public statement to the effect that for the term of his contract, irrespective of any managerial changes in the England role, he will not be accepting or considering any offers - should they be forthcoming, due to contractual requirements.

Frankly, I couldn't care less if he discusses his contract publicly, its not what I'd do - but its his choice. At no time has he bad mouthed the club, or the board or complained about anything. He's stated that he'd like to commit to the club long term, which given the complaints about him by people posting on here, should shut people up - but now it becomes a stick to beat him with.

Go figure

you know what , i think i've realised that i'm not fussed either way. i do think though that ALOT of what those that would like him to part ways with us are saying cant retain much water, many of the points cant actually hold any water...therefore as far as i can see , the best case for stability , continuity, chemistry, CORE team morale is for him to stay, fact of the matter is we xcame 4th twice. the time we came 5th we could have come 4th and this time we came 4th we could have come 3rd and even challenged for the title.......chances are with more investment into the neucleus that we have now we could maintain our place in the top 5 or even really push on

...but, i'm a 'levy admirer' and if levy decides that he doesnt want to commit a lengthy contract to harry then so be it......unfortunately it means transition, rebuilding, playrs getting to know the new guy and learning a different system, players getting frozen out and the new guy getting in new players , change of transfer targets and possibly playing style etc etc etc, ...but at the end of the day i trust levy to make the best choice he thinks is required for the club. So whoever he gets i think would be a good and shrewd choice

incidentally i think people are looking at this redknapp contract situation the wrong way. Harry has to bargain and put some leverage into negotiations..a bit tacky to use the media though ...but some people just dont care how they get their money,....levy on the other hand is trying to save as much money as he can ..again this is his right....BUT THE MOST important thing is that Levy hasnt sacked Harry, for a cuthroat business man like Levy this speaks volumes and shows that levy does indeed see Harry as the right man for the job....he's just trying to eat his cake as well by giving a rollin year and keeping an eye out for proceedings...juuust in case someone better comes along or if something derails our season again

i'm not fussed either way anymore.

A few things.
My opinion of anything that arcspace says is so low, that to align yourself with him simply drags your credibility to greater depths.

If you believe that everything that football managers say to the press is 100% what they believe then I'll bet Christmas eve is still a magical night for you.

Why do you believe that Redknapp had to say that he wasn't interested, when he had stated publicly and without any shame or embarassment what he thought of the England managers position? For all of the vitriol poured on the guy, I don't remember him whoring himself publicly, but I do remember all of the brick in the gutterpress, the ex pros giving it the Harry's the best choice opinions and all of the media certainty that he was the man elect. Throw in the selective memories of a bunch of Spurs fans and the guy soon turns to satan and before you can say Walter Mitty, soon everything he says is a lie and everything he does is wrong.

Harry might have had an idea that the team would be unsettled, but I doubt that he ever invisiged that it would be quite such a startling turn around in fortunes. He knows now, and so it now affects the way he views things. Now he is castigated and pilloried for learning a lesson.

He's never going to win the hearts of some of the posters on here, I doubt if he would if he somehow engineered us winning the league, some people have just gone too far to back down now, and some people just don't have the courage to admit when they are wrong anyway.

And before anyone tries levelling that accusation at me, I have always stood by my opinions - never tried to present them as facts, and I will stand by them, until Redknapp ceases to demonstrate that he can produce the best possible football from the players he has at his disposal.

A few things.
My opinion of anything that arcspace says is so low, that to align yourself with him simply drags your credibility to greater depths.

If you believe that everything that football managers say to the press is 100% what they believe then I'll bet Christmas eve is still a magical night for you.

Why do you believe that Redknapp had to say that he wasn't interested, when he had stated publicly and without any shame or embarassment what he thought of the England managers position? For all of the vitriol poured on the guy, I don't remember him whoring himself publicly, but I do remember all of the brick in the gutterpress, the ex pros giving it the Harry's the best choice opinions and all of the media certainty that he was the man elect. Throw in the selective memories of a bunch of Spurs fans and the guy soon turns to satan and before you can say Walter Mitty, soon everything he says is a lie and everything he does is wrong.

Harry might have had an idea that the team would be unsettled, but I doubt that he ever invisiged that it would be quite such a startling turn around in fortunes. He knows now, and so it now affects the way he views things. Now he is castigated and pilloried for learning a lesson.

He's never going to win the hearts of some of the posters on here, I doubt if he would if he somehow engineered us winning the league, some people have just gone too far to back down now, and some people just don't have the courage to admit when they are wrong anyway.

And before anyone tries levelling that accusation at me, I have always stood by my opinions - never tried to present them as facts, and I will stand by them, until Redknapp ceases to demonstrate that he can produce the best possible football from the players he has at his disposal.

Why is my credibility sinking? I thought I was having a good rational debate and trying to back up my opinions. I know it's not really conventional on here for someone to change their mind and I haven't ever changed from my position. I've always said Harry should be backed or sacked. I've defended him because I thought some of the abuse he got was unjust. But really my ideal has always been Harry out and AVB in. That's just a pure personal opinion. I'm not saying that's the best thing for the club or that Levy would be an idiot not to do it. Just pure personal opinion there.

But that interview made me really want to stop defending Harry. Again, everything he says there is right, but it's the ommission that speculation affects players. Why do I think he should deny his interest? So the players can regain focus! I don't think he's learnt a lesson at all. I think he probably had Levy and his coaches saying 'the speculation is probably affecting us' (Harry has said that people close to him thought it was a problem) so it's not as if he had a sudden shock. And I don't think it's acceptable to expect 'some' bad form but not expect 'really' bad form. ANY bad form that our manager knows could happen and doesn't do anything about is going to make me fudging furious!

He didn't fluffy bunnies cuddling himself out specifically by what he said. And it was others actually pushing him for it. But he did not stop it. All it would have took was to say 'Sorry guys, I'm challenging for the title in the best league of the world, what I've said before doesn't matter. I'm staying at Spurs. Would Fergie leave for Scotland now? Is Mancini going to go to Italy? They wouldn't, and neither would I.' That's all he needed to say. And then it would have been killed. But he didn't want to stop it. His son was writing articles saying the FA better hurry up and appoint him. Just because he didn't actively say 'I want to go to England at the end of the season' it doesn't mean he isn't responsible for the speculation killing us. He didn't do right by Spurs. So I don't want to defend him anymore. And I certainly don't want to reward him with a new contact, when he is very much responsible for the slide from certain 3rd place finishers to missing out on the Champions League.

Honestly I'm reading it again, and I can't get my head around the fact you can say 'he may have had an idea that the team would be unsettled, but I doubt that he ever invisiged quited a startling turn in fortunes.' Come on man. How is ANY dip in form ok? How is ANY unsettling of our players in the most important season for years in any way acceptable? This is why I don't want him here anymore. Has he learnt his lesson? Very probably. Should he be rewarded with a long contract? Not in my opinion. Not when there are good, young, radical managers out there that may give us a shot in the arm. We are in danger of missing the boat because they will all be snapped up soon.

Harry is good at making the players play roughly to where they should be playing to. So when Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool all have terrible league seasons, we do have the 3rd best squad. But once Chelsea have rebuilt, when Arsenal don't suffer such bad luck with injuries, and when Liverpool's project under Rodgers gets going, it's going to be hard for Harry with our more limited finances to compete with them. We are going to need someone who makes players perform above their station IMO. There's nothing wrong with Harry's style. It was perfect for us when we had a talented squad that was under-performing. But if we have hopes of being top 4 regulars then I don't think Harry is going to be the right man to do that in the coming seasons. And I don't think it will be a disaster and a slide down the league should we get someone like Martinez or AVB in. They will probably maintain at least 6th, because we have talented players that will suit the kind of manager that I am advocating.

Last edited:
Why is my credibility sinking? I thought I was having a good rational debate and trying to back up my opinions. I know it's not really conventional on here for someone to change their mind and I haven't ever changed from my position. I've always said Harry should be backed or sacked. I've defended him because I thought some of the abuse he got was unjust. But really my ideal has always been Harry out and AVB in. That's just a pure personal opinion. I'm not saying that's the best thing for the club or that Levy would be an idiot not to do it. Just pure personal opinion there.

But that interview made me really want to stop defending Harry. Again, everything he says there is right, but it's the ommission that speculation affects players. Why do I think he should deny his interest? So the players can regain focus! I don't think he's learnt a lesson at all. I think he probably had Levy and his coaches saying 'the speculation is probably affecting us' (Harry has said that people close to him thought it was a problem) so it's not as if he had a sudden shock. And I don't think it's acceptable to expect 'some' bad form but not expect 'really' bad form. ANY bad form that our manager knows could happen and doesn't do anything about is going to make me fudging furious!

He didn't fluffy bunnies cuddling himself out specifically by what he said. And it was others actually pushing him for it. But he did not stop it. All it would have took was to say 'Sorry guys, I'm challenging for the title in the best league of the world, what I've said before doesn't matter. I'm staying at Spurs. Would Fergie leave for Scotland now? Is Mancini going to go to Italy? They wouldn't, and neither would I.' That's all he needed to say. And then it would have been killed. But he didn't want to stop it. His son was writing articles saying the FA better hurry up and appoint him. Just because he didn't actively say 'I want to go to England at the end of the season' it doesn't mean he isn't responsible for the speculation killing us. He didn't do right by Spurs. So I don't want to defend him anymore. And I certainly don't want to reward him with a new contact, when he is very much responsible for the slide from certain 3rd place finishers to missing out on the Champions League.

Honestly I'm reading it again, and I can't get my head around the fact you can say 'he may have had an idea that the team would be unsettled, but I doubt that he ever invisiged quited a startling turn in fortunes.' Come on man. How is ANY dip in form ok? How is ANY unsettling of our players in the most important season for years in any way acceptable? This is why I don't want him here anymore. Has he learnt his lesson? Very probably. Should he be rewarded with a long contract? Not in my opinion. Not when there are good, young, radical managers out there that may give us a shot in the arm. We are in danger of missing the boat because they will all be snapped up soon.

Harry is good at making the players play roughly to where they should be playing to. So when Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool all have terrible league seasons, we do have the 3rd best squad. But once Chelsea have rebuilt, when Arsenal don't suffer such bad luck with injuries, and when Liverpool's project under Rodgers gets going, it's going to be hard for Harry with our more limited finances to compete with them. We are going to need someone who makes players perform above their station IMO. There's nothing wrong with Harry's style. It was perfect for us when we had a talented squad that was under-performing. But if we have hopes of being top 4 regulars then I don't think Harry is going to be the right man to do that in the coming seasons. And I don't think it will be a disaster and a slide down the league should we get someone like Martinez or AVB in. They will probably maintain at least 6th, because we have talented players that will suit the kind of manager that I am advocating.

If you want to change your mind go ahead

I say "he may have" because unlike some of the know all knobheads that post on here, I don't have the ability to read minds or know what people think.

You say he could have killed the speculation, no brick Sherlock! Do you want me to explain why he didn't? fudge me, you say these things like you are unearthing hidden secrets.

Liverpools project? fudging what? Now you are speaking in Emirates Marketing Project speak.

I had some respect for you, because you originally made some sense, but now you are admitting to being an arcspace acolyte and talking babblebrick and believing in AVB. What next - get Benitez in?

PS, I do not think that HR is an untouchable managerial guru. I can probably name 10 managers I'd prefer to have, if I try hard, but we wont get them.

AVB isn't one of them, maybe in time, but not right now - HR will do better.

As I said before, getting AVB in to work under HR, so he can learn the skills to manage footballers, whilst working with HR tactically - I can buy into. But on his own - no.

think like me or i'll think you're an idiot

- good post btw Brain Of Levy

Last edited:
think like me or i'll think you're an idiot

- good post btw Brain Of Levy

I did not say he was an idiot

why did you post that Billy?

at no time did I denigrate his intelligence or suggest that he was stupid to change his views.

I questioned his reasoning, because I think his reasons are misguided.

Really grossly unfair of you to say that.

Back