• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

If you talk to people outside of Spurs im sure you'll find the they think this team is anything but nice or lacking in the gamesmanship department- mixed board i read tends to think that's one of our strongest attributes

I think we are babes in arms when compared to Real, Juve or even a Chelsea.

The eyeball test would tell me that he is not as good as he was before that injury. He does not look as fast as he did before and only the 90 mins against Colombia showed him at his best.

I don't know if it's fatigue or he is genuinely nursing some long term injury to avoid surgery.

Ronaldo went half a season without scoring a goal last year (or something ridiculous like that) then dragged RM to the CL title, once again, in the second half of the season - how about we stop trying to force the issue and let him get on with it - he's one of the best CFs in world football and every team out there would play him if available even if off form.

What do you mean by this? Every Spurs fan is behind him 100%. He's still scoring goals at an exceptional rate for club and country. He just looks a bit laboured/jaded/insert adjective here and doesn't quite appear to be the same robust forward who more than holds his own physically against most defenders. His level would have to drop to Emile Heskey's level in order for Poch to even entertain the idea of giving him a break but we all know Kane is capable of so much more in terms of his open play.

Agree with the last sentence.

That was reckless and lacking control. Lucky we didn’t get players banned for a few games.
We got stupid not even.

I don't blame the players for being tinkled off with how the end of the season panned out with every man and his dog openly backing Leicester for the league and with Chelsea in particular, don't think it's a coincidence that Fabregas and Hazard were singled out for the worst treatment. Still think we took it too far that night.

I think we're one of the most cynical teams in the league, not saying that's a bad thing. I'd rather that than the pussies we used to be under Jol and pretty much every other Spurs manager in the PL era until Poch rocked up.

I don't blame the players for being tinkled off with how the end of the season panned out with every man and his dog openly backing Leicester for the league and with Chelsea in particular, don't think it's a coincidence that Fabregas and Hazard were singled out for the worst treatment. Still think we took it too far that night.

I think we're one of the most cynical teams in the league, not saying that's a bad thing. I'd rather that than the pussies we used to be under Jol and pretty much every other Spurs manager in the PL era until Poch rocked up.

I ‘do’ blame. They are professionals and the players have to focus on the task at hand. What the media are saying is irrelevant once they take to the pitch. That’s why we have up our game in this respect, we must be single minded, results are what matters not moods and distractions. It’s improving but Pochettino has some ways to go.

We where still patting ourselves on the back when we played Watford.
We also looked tired and outgunned, which is very unusual.

Last edited:
I ‘do’ blame. They are professionals and the players have to focus on the task at hand. What the media are saying is irrelevant once they take to the pitch. That’s why we have up our game in this respect, we must be single minded, results are what matters not moods and distractions. It’s improving but Pochettino has some ways to go.

We where still patting ourselves on the back when we played Watford.
We also looked tired and outgunned, which is very unusual.

Not that unusual for us in the first 5-10 games of a season. Regardless of results, we don't seem to start any season well in terms of performance. If we can pick up some more wins until we hit form, then we should be on for a very good season.

If you talk to people outside of Spurs im sure you'll find the they think this team is anything but nice or lacking in the gamesmanship department- mixed board i read tends to think that's one of our strongest attributes

Its a multifaceted thing. I think in terms of gamesmanship we are pretty good at getting away with some rough/questionable stuff. We can be niggly, and tactically foul - and yet not seen as "dirty".

So, good at gamesmanship?

Then theres the influencing the ref. We have all seen those teams that just ramp up pressure on the ref until things go their way. We are appalling at this, and far too 'nice'.

So, also bad at gamesmanship?

Though I would say - that "niceness" is probably what allows us to get away with what we do.

Not that unusual for us in the first 5-10 games of a season. Regardless of results, we don't seem to start any season well in terms of performance. If we can pick up some more wins until we hit form, then we should be on for a very good season.

Would be interested to see how many we have lost at the start of the last 6 or so seasons.

Would be interested to see how many we have lost at the start of the last 6 or so seasons.

I wouldn't say we ever lose that many under Poch, but we do always seem to start in a bit of a sluggish fashion and then get motoring by about November. We can still pick up results along the way, as we have shown in the first 4 games this season.

I wouldn't say we ever lose that many under Poch, but we do always seem to start in a bit of a sluggish fashion and then get motoring by about November. We can still pick up results along the way, as we have shown in the first 4 games this season.

Under Poch you're right we hardly ever lose.
I think though Poch must shoulder some the blame the Watford selection which was IMHO 'over' offensive, especially when Poch was questioning our capacity for learning?

Hindsight - Should we have gone up against Watford with Dire Winks Dele midfield after OT and maybe stuck Lorrente upfront. Maybe stay solid and then refresh from the bench. Poch was saying 'they' must learn, so must he?

Something like this.

Vorm
Tripier, Toby, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies
Dier, Winks, Dele
Lucas, Eriksen
Lorrente

Last edited:
Under Poch you're right we hardly ever lose.
I think though Poch must shoulder some the blame the section was 'over' offensive, especially when Poch was questioning our capacity for learning?

Hindsight - Should we have gone up against Watford with Dire Winks Dele midfield after OT and maybe stuck Lorrente upfront. Maybe stay solid and then refresh from the bench. Poch was saying 'they' must learn, so must he?

Something like this.

Vorm
Tripier, Toby, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies
Dier, Winks, Dele
Lucas, Eriksen
Lorrente

I don't think there was anything wrong with the team Poch picked. Dembele played like a bit of a qunt, as he seems to do every now and then, but he's been playing alright lately and came through 90 mins at Old Trafford. Harry had a poor game and if he squared it to Moura and we go 0-2 up, we would have won. The team selection was fine imo, but poor individual performances let us down. The big mistake, was not getting Winks on for Dembele a lot sooner. When Dembele gave away 2 square passes in midfield in the space of a few minutes, I'd have subbed him right there.

Like Poch said, we played the first half like a friendly. More urgency and sharper passing and Watford were there for the taking.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the team Poch picked. Dembele played like a bit of a qunt, as he seems to do every now and then, but he's been playing alright lately and came through 90 mins at Old Trafford. Harry had a poor game and if he squared it to Moura and we go 0-2 up, we would have won. The team selection was fine imo, but poor individual performances let us down. The big mistake, was not getting Winks on for Dembele a lot sooner. When Dembele gave away 2 square passes in midfield in the space of a few minutes, I'd have subbed him right there.

Like Poch said, we played the first half like a friendly. More urgency and sharper passing and Watford were there for the taking.

Accept all the above. "Friendly" yes I agree. So why didn't Poch 'manage' and take that option away from the team by changing the personal and letting then the squad know the must keep it tighter and be in the wide awake club.
Rest Kane occasionally and keep it tight away at the likes of Watford especially. He knows they were going to be 'at it'.
He said "they must learn" but then did nothing from his end. ie if you are not doing what Poch wants you don't play! Otherwise, what's the point they are just empty threats.

We conceded from two set pieces and outside of those goals Watford didnt create anything of note in open play so i think we were set up fine in that regard

Kane at the moment is playing like a 35 year old legend, whose body looks broken but he still has the feel and brilliance from time to time. I don't know what is going on but if he has two extremely young kids then that might be affecting his mind. We don't get to see this side of players. Also as others have said he isn't a 10, he's a 9. I don't think Moura should be playing in front of him. He doesn't understand the 10 role and gets lost deep in midfield (this was very noticeable during the World Cup). This is the longest spell we've seen him off the boil but I am sure he will turn it round again.

The team poch put out was good enough to win that game, if they'd turned up.
He left the subs late because he wants and needs them to sort out these issues themselves.
Someone in the squad needs to grow a pair and start leading, Harry did it in the dressing room when Ade and his ilk was there, we need the same now.

The team poch put out was good enough to win that game, if they'd turned up.
He left the subs late because he wants and needs them to sort out these issues themselves.
Someone in the squad needs to grow a pair and start leading, Harry did it in the dressing room when Ade and his ilk was there, we need the same now.

"if they'd turned up" tickle my balls with a feather.
But they didn't, who though is responsible for making sure they do "turn up"?
Pochettino had already torn them off a strip for the complacency at OT (a little harshly IMHO). But he was right to keep them grounded and aware of the task ahead at Watford.
Here Pochetiho failed as we know with dropped 3 precious points to a bang average but hard-working outfit.

Back