• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Only just discovered that Shearer’s 260 PL record doesn’t cover the previous 23 goals of his career, in the old Division 1. Rather cheapens things if Harry were to score 261-282 :/

No it doesn't. His record is for pl goals alone. Otherwise we are talking greaves record of 357 league goals in english top flight.

No it doesn't. His record is for pl goals alone. Otherwise we are talking greaves record of 357 league goals in english top flight.

I appreciate there’s loads of other players who’ve scored loads pre-PL (not least Greavsie). But at least with them you can say the eras are less comparable. With Shearer straddling both eras it feels a bit more silly.

I appreciate there’s loads of other players who’ve scored loads pre-PL (not least Greavsie). But at least with them you can say the eras are less comparable. With Shearer straddling both eras it feels a bit more silly.

Kane has 14 league goals outside of the PL - what did Shearer have with Southampton?

Should we ignore league and cup wins before the prem era because they're not comparable?

I’m not saying that anything should be ignored before the PL era. I’m saying it feels particularly jarring to ignore Shearer’s goals that happened immediately before the PL era.

They were before the pl era so don't count to the record for "most premier league goals". If you want to count goals outside the premier league era then you have to count greaves goals. Because he has the record.

If you just want to compare the two players. Then you can.

Looking at gpg Kane is ahead with 200 in 303 vs Shearers 283 in 559 (top flight goals only) - at Kanes scoring rate he'd have almost 100 more goals than Shearer over the same amount of games.

Edit - obviously isn't as simple as extrapolating the numbers but it shows there's a lot of room for natural decline for Kane and to still have a good chance of matching/beating him.

Scores a record breaking goal in a 1-0 win against the champions and puts in a right good shift with some lovely link up play, yet doesn't get a sniff at motm, think that highlights how good a team performance this was.

They were before the pl era so don't count to the record for "most premier league goals". If you want to count goals outside the premier league era then you have to count greaves goals. Because he has the record.

If you just want to compare the two players. Then you can.

I guess I thought before that Kane breaking the 260 record would effectively make him ‘the best goal scorer of the Premier League era’. Whereas that doesn’t feel quite as true now that I know Shearer scored more than that, 90% of them in the PL era.

Anyway, didn’t mean to start a technical debate - just venting a bit of sadness.

I guess I thought before that Kane breaking the 260 record would effectively make him ‘the best goal scorer of the Premier League era’. Whereas that doesn’t feel quite as true now that I know Shearer scored more than that, 90% of them in the PL era.

Anyway, didn’t mean to start a technical debate - just venting a bit of sadness.

Shearer was 36 when he retired. Kane is 29. He could get 300.

Wouldn't bet against Kane scoring more than 83 league goals before he retires to beat him outright anyway tbh

Hopefully they are for us

If we're going to count goals not scored in the prem that award goes to ronaldo.

I’m not saying that anything should be ignored before the PL era. I’m saying it feels particularly jarring to ignore Shearer’s goals that happened immediately before the PL era.
You can they would just be two different r3cords

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

26buvitsngga1.jpg

Back