• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Georginio Wijnaldum

He would be the alternate for Alli...

Poch is slowly assembling a "2 for 1" situation with two equally interchangeable players for each position. He has identified the irreplaceable players:

Dier >> Wanyama
Kane >> Janssen
Alli>> ?? Wijnaldum
Eriksen >> ?? Gotze

and is bringing in players with almost identical characteristics to ensure that the the team shape and system are not compromised when those players are injured/suspended/rested.

------------Dier-------------Dembele
----------Wanyama---------Bentaleb

Lamela------------Alli-----------Eriksen
Njie---------------Mason---------Son

-------------------Kane
------------------Janssen

is how I kind of see it. Which I think gives us great depth and balance

-------------------Kane

A lack of creativity and pace though

-------------------Kane

How much better does Alli gotze sound tho?

Lamela, Eriksen and Mason are creative. Njie and to a slightly lesser extent Son and Alli have pace.

-------------------Kane

Very strong first three.... Slightly weak 3 back-up players. My thoughts are that Son is reasonable enough and can play on either side (although I think he is better from the right). I wouldn't mind having Mason as our third choice number ten and also providing third choice cover for Dembele. However if we can find a real top class player that can cover the number 10 and 11 positions then I think we're in business with the squad, both in terms of size and quality.

Lamela, Eriksen and Mason are creative. Njie and to a slightly lesser extent Son and Alli have pace.
When you look at the pace and creativity other top teams have we are not at the same level. It will make a difference in the big games and when we come up against really stubborn teams.

When you look at the pace and creativity other top teams have we are not at the same level. It will make a difference in the big games and when we come up against really stubborn teams.

Agreed. In most areas we're comparable to the top teams, however in this area we're behind them and our back-ups are a long way behind them

Just out of interest what teams and what players do you compare that too?

I think as a starting unit though, Alli, Eriksen, Lamela, Kane is up there with anything the Premiership throws at us.

Chuck in Dier and Dembele behind them and that for me is the strongest Unit of 6 the prem can boast.

I think as a starting unit though, Alli, Eriksen, Lamela, Kane is up there with anything the Premiership throws at us.

Chuck in Dier and Dembele behind them and that for me is the strongest Unit of 6 the prem can boast.

Yep, and to earlier post, our pace comes from how quickly we move the ball, and the support from Rose/Walker

I suspect we'll see alot more from Son this season too after he's settled in and has a full pre season and hopefully no injuries.

He can be a real goalscoring inside forward.

NJie is the unknown really. Could be a total maverick or could be pace and nothing more.
I expect to see him interchange with Alli and Mason. And sometimes Son in the AMC role with N'Jie wide right. Nice and interchangeable

I suspect we'll see alot more from Son this season too after he's settled in and has a full pre season and hopefully no injuries.

He can be a real goalscoring inside forward.

NJie is the unknown really. Could be a total maverick or could be pace and nothing more.
I expect to see him interchange with Alli and Mason. And sometimes Son in the AMC role with N'Jie wide right. Nice and interchangeable

I love the sentiment but Son is off to the Olympics so not sure what pre season he will get

The way I read that at the time was "we will be taking him to the olympics, but you can have him for the meaningless friendlies as a sweetener"

Its in our interests for him to do well at the olympics as a medal there means no national service for him

Playing in the Olympics against being run into the ground on a pre season fitness tour, I reckon the effect is much of a muchness

Back