• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Georginio Wijnaldum

Wouldn't Wijnaldrum naturally replace Njie as the something different from the bench in the last 20 minutes option?

They play completely different positions/roles - ive seen you compare him to previous tricky/skillful wingers that have played here before but he's more of a Cm/Am that likes to attack the box - I don't think he's particularly known for being being fast or skillful. I'd say he'd most likely be competition for Alli were he to be signed

Last edited:
They play completely different positions/roles - ive seen you compare him to previous tricky/skillful wingers that have played here before but he's more of a Cm/Am that likes to attack the box - I don't think he's particularly known for being being fast or skillful. I'd say he'd most likely be competition for Alli were he to be signed

On paper he might be a replacement for Chadli's goals/assists, if we decided to sell.

On paper he might be a replacement for Chadli's goals/assists, if we decided to sell.

He would be the alternate for Alli...

Poch is slowly assembling a "2 for 1" situation with two equally interchangeable players for each position. He has identified the irreplaceable players:

Dier >> Wanyama
Kane >> Janssen
Alli>> ?? Wijnaldum
Eriksen >> ?? Gotze

and is bringing in players with almost identical characteristics to ensure that the the team shape and system are not compromised when those players are injured/suspended/rested.

He would be the alternate for Alli...

Poch is slowly assembling a "2 for 1" situation with two equally interchangeable players for each position. He has identified the irreplaceable players:

Dier >> Wanyama
Kane >> Janssen
Alli>> ?? Wijnaldum
Eriksen >> ?? Gotze

and is bringing in players with almost identical characteristics to ensure that the the team shape and system are not compromised when those players are injured/suspended/rested.

I was thinking that earlier. Buying like for like players so that we can bring players in and out. We'll need some flexibility but last year had no cover for Kane or Dier. Regarding cover for Alli and Eriksen (and Lamela for that matter), last year there was a gulf between them and our back-ups. Personally though I think we need more creativity in the player which we bring in to cover them and I dont think that that player necessarily needs to be as like for like as the cover fro Dier and Kane

I was thinking that earlier. Buying like for like players so that we can bring players in and out. We'll need some flexibility but last year had no cover for Kane or Dier. Regarding cover for Alli and Eriksen (and Lamela for that matter), last year there was a gulf between them and our back-ups. Personally though I think we need more creativity in the player which we bring in to cover them and I dont think that that player necessarily needs to be as like for like as the cover fro Dier and Kane
I think Son is reasonable cover for Lamela. However last year we did not seem to have players in the squad who could give us the same as what Alli and (especially) Eriksen did.

Conversely to some others on here, I wouldn't mind seeing Mason given a go as Alli's understudy. He is decent on the ball, prepared to work and fight and play a part in the press and I think he is also capable of making those same runs in behind the opposition's defence like Alli does (as Mason did against Sunderland early last season). The number 10 role was also the one that Mason played throughout his many years in our youth teams. Whether or not Wjinaldum is better than Mason here I have no idea, but if given games at number 10 I think Mason would both score and create goals for us. I would say that he is a good enough player to offer cover for Alli and rather than spending probably 15 to 25 million on a player like Wjinaldum. IMO we should instead look to concentrate our remaining efforts (and funds) on a player that provides competition/cover for Eriksen. I think this will prove to be far more difficult however. We would need a player who is creative and skillful enough to play as a number 10, but is also prepared to work hard enough to never shirk his responsibility in tracking the forward runs of the opponents right back when the opposition turn over the ball. There are not too many skilfull players out there that have that sort of desire and work rate.

Last edited:
I think Son is reasonable cover for Lamela. However last year we do seem to have players in the squad who could give us the same as what Alli and (especially) Eriksen did.

Conversely to some others on here, I wouldn't mind seeing Mason given a go as Alli's understudy. He is decent on the ball, prepared to work and fight and play a part in the press and I think he is also capable of making those same runs in behind the opposition's defence like Alli does (as Mason did against Sunderland early last season). The number 10 role was also the one that Mason played throughout his many years in our youth teams. Whether or not Wjinaldum is better than Mason here I have no idea, but if given games at number 10 I think Mason would both score and create goals for us. I would say that he is a good enough player to offer cover for Alli and rather than spending probably 15 to 25 million on a player like Wjinaldum. IMO we should instead look to concentrate our remaining efforts (and funds) on a player that provides competition/cover for Eriksen. I think this will prove to be far more difficult however. We would need a player who is creative and skillful enough to play as a number 10, but is also prepared to work hard enough to never shirk his responsibility in tracking the forward runs of the opponents right back when the opposition turn over the ball. There are not too many skilfull players out there that have that sort of desire and work rate.
Marcus Edwards? I know he's really young, but apparently he has the skills to be a top player. If you're good enough, you're old enough and all that. Could use him in cup games and "easier" PL ones. And would keep other teams away from poaching him.

I think Son is reasonable cover for Lamela. However last year we do seem to have players in the squad who could give us the same as what Alli and (especially) Eriksen did.

I wouldn't mind giving him a run up there to see how he does and I think maybe Poch is thinking that way too. Sounds like he'll be kept around anyway if what Roy has heard is true, and to my eyes at least he is not a CM. Maybe he'll be the surprise of this season.

Sissons is the sort of player that he could score a rocket and then miss a sitter in the 90th

Back