• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Georginio Wijnaldum

There is no chance whatsoever that he's worth anything close to £25m, and even less chance that we would pay it for him
In todays market Im afraid hes every bit close to being £25m for a proven PL good standard player. Would think would be able to get him at a reduced fee playing for a club that have been relegated but unfortunately Saudi Sportswashing Machine are a massive club and no need to sell cheap....

In todays market Im afraid hes every bit close to being £25m for a proven PL good standard player. Would think would be able to get him at a reduced fee playing for a club that have been relegated but unfortunately Saudi Sportswashing Machine are a massive club and no need to sell cheap....

Mata would cost around 25 mill and he is a far superior footballer than Wijnaldum. Wijnaldum works no harder than Mata, both would demand around 100k a week so to me it's a no brainer to go for Mata instead.

More goals, more assists, more creativity, plus what's the point of having CL football on offer of you can't genuinely go for players who will really make a difference and immediately.

Signing a player Mata instead of Wijnaldum would massively boost squad morale and the fans would be hugely excited too. It's just what our team needs right now. Top class quality

Mata would cost around 25 mill and he is a far superior footballer than Wijnaldum. Wijnaldum works no harder than Mata, both would demand around 100k a week so to me it's a no brainer to go for Mata instead.

More goals, more assists, more creativity, plus what's the point of having CL football on offer of you can't genuinely go for players who will really make a difference and immediately.

Signing a player Mata instead of Wijnaldum would massively boost squad morale and the fans would be hugely excited too. It's just what our team needs right now. Top class quality
All your opinion mate. Mata is 28, Wijnaldum is 25 and looks far more athletic and likely to get around the pitch than Mata. Its about what the infamous 'black box' has identified, and I was simply making the point that in todays market he probably is worth around £25m, which I think he is regardless of whether you think Mata would be a better signing...

I wouldnt say £25m was unreasonable, i would merely question whether we went into this transfer window intending to spend £25m on anyone. I am a big Mr Levy fan, i am tight with cash myself, I just cant see us spending that amount.

I agree. The value is the value regardless of anyone views and if we dont agree t it then so be it

Good thing is were looking at this kind of player which is a an area where I think a lot of us agree we need to add quality in (along with centre forward)

"I don't press - I'm Mata."

Not exactly, but big ego players who aren't malleable to Poch's system won't last very long in this set-up.

Too expensive though if the price comes out could be worth it if Poch thinks he can change his work ethic. Buying players from the continent will be expensive now with the exchange rate plummeting.

Not exactly, but big ego players who aren't malleable to Poch's system won't last very long in this set-up.

He has managed to accommodate Nacer "im too cool and sexy to work " Chadli in plenty of games.

Also if you have a hardworking team with Wanyama, Dier, Alli, Lamela/Eriksen, and Kane in sure even Poch could accommodate Mata. It's not like he is lazy either. He puts a shift in but obviously it's not all non stop action like modern coaches want

I disagree that both players would demand £100k a week..... Mata is probably already on more than that at Man Utd, whereas Wijnaldum will be on far less than that at Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Also, as said before on the thread.... Mata would not suit our system at all. You need to accomodate him as a player that won't put in his shift defensively. A pressing team like ours cannot accomodate such a player. Whether Wjinaldum has the same drawback I don't know, but IMO Mata certainly isn't an option for our style of play.

He has managed to accommodate Nacer "im too cool and sexy to work " Chadli in plenty of games.
Hmmmm... Seems to me that Chadli found himself moving from first choice to a substitute role last season and he may well be moving from substitute role to transfer list this summer, so that would suggest Pochettino would rather not accommodate him.

Also if you have a hardworking team with Wanyama, Dier, Alli, Lamela/Eriksen, and Kane in sure even Poch could accommodate Mata. It's not like he is lazy either. He puts a shift in but obviously it's not all non stop action like modern coaches want
Again.... The pressing system requires every player to play their part. Otherwise the player/players being pressed have an out-ball. Thus rendering the press useless and, indeed, worse than useless but dangerous as our press has committed men into positions high up the pitch leaving us badly exposed defensively. It is probably worth reading some articles on how the pressing system works. It is not about 'putting in a shift' or being 'non stop all action' it is about being very disciplined in the positions that you take up in relation to those taken up by your teammates.

Again.... The pressing system requires every player to play their part. Otherwise the player/players being pressed have an out-ball. Thus rendering the press useless and, indeed, worse than useless but dangerous as our press has committed men into positions high up the pitch leaving us badly exposed defensively. It is probably worth reading some articles on how the pressing system works. It is not about 'putting in a shift' or being 'non stop all action' it is about being very disciplined in the positions that you take up in relation to those taken up by your teammates.

Indeed. See England over the last year or so with the Spurs/Soton/Liverpool players who can press, and the odd other player who can't and ruins the whole thing.

Mata would be a passenger in our team, Jose got shut because he would not do the defensive/ closing side of the game.

Back