• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Georginio Wijnaldum

Wijnaldrum's a classic MOTD player. Ineffective, but a moment or two each game for the cameras.

He's the exactly type of player we used to sign all the time between c.1994-2004, and who now ends up at Stoke.

you've seen a lot of him outside of MOTD then, presumably?

I don't think Wijnaldum is the type of player you're referring to. He carries the ball in midfield, and ghosts into the box and scores goals. He looks more of a Lampard type than a trick and a flick highlights reel type of player to me...

without wishing to open the old stats are meaningless debate, he compares quite well to Alli (who he'd be competing for a place in the team with) in several key areas...

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...scored/shot_accuracy/successful_take_ons_%#90

Wijnaldrum's a classic MOTD player. Ineffective, but a moment or two each game for the cameras.

He's the exactly type of player we used to sign all the time between c.1994-2004, and who now ends up at Stoke.

What's the opposite of the kiss of death, because we just got it :)

Reactions: DTA
Interesting. He played every league game too looking at that....

yeah a good sign i guess - where he appears to fall down in comparison to players in our team is his defensive contributions - which in fairness is probably an unfair comparison in the first place what with our pressing style of play, so im not sure that would be anything to hold against him (or any other attacking player who doesn't have similar responsibilities)

the key to any attacking player coming here and succeeding will be how they adapt to those new responsibilities

I don't think Wijnaldum is the type of player you're referring to. He carries the ball in midfield, and ghosts into the box and scores goals. He looks more of a Lampard type than a trick and a flick highlights reel type of player to me...

He is a very good player

This isn't a Fluke season for him. He did it in holland too and the Dutch guys I know (Belgians to you and me) all said he was better than Depay

This would be a very good signing imo sell chadli,mason and carroll and add in Berehino and i would say we are significantly stronger than last year.We have to rotate and not have a significantly weakend team when we do and we cannot afford to run out of puff at the end of the season again.

No. But Saudi Sportswashing Machine fans who saw him 90 minutes a week don't rate him and say he's all about the highlights reel

GB am i correct in the assertion that if our summer signings consisted of Wanyama, Wijnaldum and Janssen you wouldnt be happy with any of them?

Personally I would prefer that we strengthen those attacking positions with someone with creativity, rather than someone with pace / work-rate like WIjnaldum

Personally I would prefer that we strengthen those attacking positions with someone with creativity, rather than someone with pace / work-rate like WIjnaldum

Yes 100%

GB am i correct in the assertion that if our summer signings consisted of Wanyama, Wijnaldum and Janssen you wouldnt be happy with any of them?
I think he likes Janssen (although I'm not sure why his mentality is not being questioned a'la Berahino's considering toys have already been thrown out of the pram by Janssen despite the transfer window having 9 weeks still to run)

He caught my eye for Saudi Sportswashing Machine and I would give him a go especially over Chadli

He caught my eye for Saudi Sportswashing Machine and I would give him a go especially over Chadli

Chadli is effective in a team where he doesn't have to work. You could argue that is what WIjnaldum has done at Saudi Sportswashing Machine but i think he could develop more here under a great coach and he hasn't been a shirker when I've seen him play

The guy has scored a lot of gaols in an ineffective team (they had decent players). Surely thats a good sign and he did it in Holland too with PSV

I trust poch and the transfer team. Theye seem to try to cover all angles rather than just pick flavour of the month
This is the most important thing for me. Even if I raised my eyebrow at a signing we made(which to date under this regime I haven't), I would still have complete faith that Poch et al know what they are doing. There is no panic, and a clear rationale behind the players we target and sign.....

Back