• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

Tom Collomose is a genuine Spurs fan and a good journo, he probably has some real info so i think this should be taken seriously.

There certainly is a bit of momentum building on this one.

2bh its probably win-win in that Spurs get to send out a message that he isn't going this summer and kill off any media speculation, Bale will get a big pay-rise and to be honest he is so good he'll know that a longer contract won't put off any suitors paying the necessary fee when he feels its time to move on. Neither will it diminish any bargaining position.

I think Bale is a sensible lad and he knows that he is flourishing under AVB and in this team. He still has some stuff to work on and I think he has his heart on staying at Spurs for one or two seasons more before moving abroad. I think we may end up seeing him at Real Madrid in a year or two's time.

Absolutley zero chance Levy puts in a 50m release clause. This sounds like agent talk releasing to the media what they want to stay for one season.

Absolutley zero chance Levy puts in a 50m release clause. This sounds like agent talk releasing to the media what they want to stay for one season.

I dont think it is that far fetched.

Lets be honest, doubt any player trusts Levy based on the Modric saga and Bale may think well I may have to put something into the contract. I dont want to be totally priced out of a move but I also dont want Spurs to miss out etc.

no-one is saying he is brick, just that maybe there is someone else that could offer us something else. If anything, maybe some genuine competition for his place may raise his game up a notch too

Actually, that's exactly what some people are saying. Hence why many people have felt the need to stick up for him.

Great news on the Bale rumours though.

'But he can leave for £50m next summer'

'It is believed, though, that the Welshman is likely to be allowed to leave in 12 months’ time should an enormous bid — in excess of £50million — come in for him.'

They fail to be consistent in the article. It's a joke really, very poor Journalism.

In defence of journos (I don't often defend the profession, despite being in it) the way this article is written makes it entirely plausible. Language like "it is believed" is typically used when a solid source has briefed on a background basis but will not be quoted. We do this all the time in financial journalism, but only when we know the source is rock solid, i.e. from within the company in question. In this case I think there's every chance that Bale commits to another season - he's used language that suggests he'll be here next year - that also means he signs a new deal (AVB has indicated one has been offered). That doesn't mean that he hasn't been told by the club that he can leave a year down the line for the right money - that's probably how they got him to sign the new contract. But they're not going to publicly come out and say that, and his side will also have been discouraged to say that as it wouldn't go down well for his own PR with fans. So someone from either side briefs the Standard on a background basis and this is how it gets written. The consistency thing re £50m is just a minor semantic difference between the article the journo has filed and the line the sub-editor's put on the page at the top, i.e. for £50m rather than for more than £50m. Happens all the time.
This is all plausible to me, as long as it's plausible that the journo in question has good sources (i.e. he's at a relatively respectable London paper, not the Daily Star, but I have no idea about his sources).

As far as I knew, The Evening Standard and Daniel Levy don't exactly sit at the same dinning table

SHOTS ON TARGET

1) Gareth Bale — 73

2) Luis Suarez — 72

3) Robin van Persie — 65

SHOTS OFF TARGET

1) Luis Suarez — 71

2) Gareth Bale — 60

3) Michu — 54

CROSSES

1) Leighton Baines — 241

2) Matthew Jarvis — 213

5) Gareth Bale — 178

DRIBBLES

1) Luis Suarez — 291

2) Adel Taarabt — 159

3) Gareth Bale — 154

YELLOW CARDS

1=) Luis Suarez — 10

1=) Matthew Lowton — 10

1=) Bradley Johnson — 10

HIT WOODWORK

1=) Robin van Persie — 7

2=) Luis Suarez — 6

2=) Gareth Bale — 6

Don't think he will be going anywhere this summer which will be fantastic if we get the 2-3 key additions we need. Who knows what is happening with the contract situation really? I think the contract scenario if true will help us secure a massive fee for him if we don't come good next season but I think he would genuinely want to stay if we got into the champions league and/or won the FA Cup/Europa League in 2013/2014.

I actually get the impression that it isn't just about Champions League football with him. I think the winning of all the personal accolades over the past 3 seasons including player of the month trophies have whetted his appetite for more and especially team medals/trophies. I really think that as a club we need to win something next season to help our case with him and possibly a couple of other players as well to show that we not only challenge for things but we can actually win them too.

Great news if true. This would allow us to focus on improving the squad capable of another top 4 challenge. If we can make top 4 next year, there will be less reason for Bale to leave.

Agree with this. We could get much more than £50m for him should we decide to sell, so it would be lunacy to put in such a clause. Levy isn't that stupid. Makes me doubt the credibility of the story.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/20/gareth-bale-tottenham-contract

Gareth Bale to sign new Tottenham contract worth £150,000 a week
• Forward committed to Spurs for the near future
• Real Madrid will have to wait at least one more season
Share 21

inShare
Email
Dominic Fifield
The Guardian, Monday 20 May 2013 19.34 BST

Gareth Bale has signed a new contact which will keep him at Spurs for at least another season. Photograph: Ian Walton/Getty Images
Gareth Bale is poised to commit his immediate future to Tottenham Hotspur after agreeing improved terms at White Hart Lane despite the club's failure to get to the Champions League. The deal is expected to include a release clause for bids over £50m that can be triggered at the end of next season.

Spurs' victory over Sunderland on Sunday was in vain as Andre Villas-Boas's team ended the season in fifth place, just behind their bitter rivals Arsenal, despite amassing 72 points. Missing out on Europe's lucrative elite competition has serious implications for the club's revenue streams, and left Tottenham vulnerable to bids for their better players.

The chairman, Daniel Levy, has indicated, though, that he will seek to add to the squad before next season.

Giving Bale, the Professional Footballers' Association player of the season and young player of the season, terms worth about £150,000 a week would be a serious statement of intent given that a number of suitors, not least Real Madrid, are interested in buying the Wales international.

The 23-year-old scored 31 times for club and country this season, including Sunday's winner, but has always indicated a willingness to stay.

Tottenham are confident they can price many of the forward's predators out of the market but the release clause would allow Bale and his club to review the situation at the end of next season.

The hope is that the club will qualify for the Champions League next time.

The forward joined the rest of Villas-Boas's squad in flying to the Bahamas on Monday for a post-season Caribbean tour, which includes an exhibition match against Jamaica on Thursday at the Thomas A Robinson National stadium on Nassau island.

"Will the big clubs be able to lure Bale away? It is very, very difficult to lure a player of [these dimensions] away," said the manager.

"You have to hold on to your best assets. Gareth is travelling with the team. This is an opportunity for him to touch that fan base that he has around the world, so we are looking forward to him coming and competing. All of our players will be coming down. We have a few developmental players and we hope to bring them all so that they can get the experience."The manager, who expects Wiliam Gallas to depart under freedom of contract, will discuss the club's plans for the summer with Levy and the owner, Joe Lewis, who is based in the Bahamas over the course of the trip. He hopes to bring in Fabio Capello's former England general manager, Franco Baldini, as a technical director. "We have been outlining the route ahead for what we want to do in terms of the club structures and hopefully the arrival of somebody else in the structure for the recruitment side, a technical director, so hopefully we can take those steps forward," added the Portuguese. "We got ever so close, but they (Manchester United, City, Chelsea and Arsenal) will do their job in window, and we will do ours the Tottenham way: scouting properly and look for good grabs in summer window to make it a stronger squad."

I think the giving it one more season bit is just the media saving face for the fact they were all saying he would go if we didn't get CL and now we didn't and he's going to sign a new contract. Of course it's highly unlikely that Bale will stay next season if we don't get top 4, but noone bar Bale himself and perhaps Levy/AVB really know what he's thinking longer term. Just the media creating their normal annual high profile circus a la Fabregas....

SHOTS ON TARGET

1) Gareth Bale — 73

2) Luis Suarez — 72

3) Robin van Persie — 65

SHOTS OFF TARGET

1) Luis Suarez — 71

2) Gareth Bale — 60

3) Michu — 54

CROSSES

1) Leighton Baines — 241

2) Matthew Jarvis — 213

5) Gareth Bale — 178

DRIBBLES

1) Luis Suarez — 291

2) Adel Taarabt — 159

3) Gareth Bale — 154

YELLOW CARDS

1=) Luis Suarez — 10

1=) Matthew Lowton — 10

1=) Bradley Johnson — 10

HIT WOODWORK

1=) Robin van Persie — 7

2=) Luis Suarez — 6

2=) Gareth Bale — 6

Amazing.

I reckon if true then the "offers in excess of £50m" mean that £50m for overseas clubs and more than this for clubs in the EPL. That's my take anyway.

I think the giving it one more season bit is just the media saving face for the fact they were all saying he would go if we didn't get CL and now we didn't and he's going to sign a new contract. Of course it's highly unlikely that Bale will stay next season if we don't get top 4, but noone bar Bale himself and perhaps Levy/AVB really know what he's thinking longer term. Just the media creating their normal annual high profile circus a la Fabregas....

What about, no CL next season - £50m release clause is triggered?

Of course jornos would not be privy to the wording of such contracts just what others tell them.

Greg Stobart @gstobart

There will not be a 'release clause' in Gareth Bale's new Tottenham contract, but an understanding he can leave if #THFC don't get in the CL
And, of course, he may still leave if Spurs get in the Champions League next season but someone will have to pay the money Levy wants

Back