• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fourth - who are we going to beat to it?

I think deep down I lost faith in the top 4 race from that point.
I just want us to win the NLD and i'll probably be ok with our other games...

I agree, both making Wenger sweat it and finishing above united both good reasons to carry on backing the lads.

Despite us winning today I'm even less confident of top four and I already was writing us out of it (but I like to keep the slimmest of hopes where possible).

We have grinded out so many wins this season it's ridiculous, to the extent that we aren't actually 'grinding them out' per se, they are just the way we win football matches and I'll be honest, I f**king hate it. I'd much rather we won two games 4-3, lost two games 4-3 and drew one 4-4 in a run of five than win three 1-0, draw one 0-0 and get slammed by five or six.

Let's face it, even if we do somehow get in to the Champions League next season we are ill prepared for it. How many CL quality players do we have? Few I'd suggest.

I still hope we get 5th FWIW. Give me Europa League football and a cup to play for over no Europa League football and a cup less to play for anyday.

Despite us winning today I'm even less confident of top four and I already was writing us out of it (but I like to keep the slimmest of hopes where possible).

We have grinded out so many wins this season it's ridiculous, to the extent that we aren't actually 'grinding them out' per se, they are just the way we win football matches and I'll be honest, I f**king hate it. I'd much rather we won two games 4-3, lost two games 4-3 and drew one 4-4 in a run of five than win three 1-0, draw one 0-0 and get slammed by five or six.

Let's face it, even if we do somehow get in to the Champions League next season we are ill prepared for it. How many CL quality players do we have? Few I'd suggest.

I still hope we get 5th FWIW. Give me Europa League football and a cup to play for over no Europa League football and a cup less to play for anyday.

Good post.

We're in no way ready for it. We would be ripped a new one. Whats wrong with the el. Its our level like it or not. If the ****ing pitch's got sortefd out I'm all for it. I remember as a kid when we got in via the cups and was over the moon. We're spoilt these days sadly.

New younger fans thinking we have some GHod given right.... **** you sky

Good post.

We're in no way ready for it. We would be ripped a new one. Whats wrong with the el. Its our level like it or not. If the ****ing pitch's got sortefd out I'm all for it. I remember as a kid when we got in via the cups and was over the moon. We're spoilt these days sadly.

New younger fans thinking we have some GHod given right.... **** you sky

Well said. Plus next season's Europa League is a viable route into the Champions League. With a favourable draw perhaps winning the EL is more attainable for us in the short term than finishing top 4. Qualifying for next year's EL is a worthwhile goal.

However, if we improve our home form, everything is possible. And the thought we'll overtake not Liverpool, but Arsenal heats my soul. They have a nightmarish schedule, two key players injuried, one donkey forward and some kind of a mental downfall. I was completely sure they wouldn't have won yesterday and it happened. I also predicted instantly after the summer transfer window, that this season can become a unique one, when two teams from previous year's top-4 won't regain a CL place (thinking mainly about Arsenil and ManUre). Still some chances of this to happen.
The prediction is one step closer. However, still rather far away.
Upcoming NLD can become the most important in recent seasons.

I understand Lilywhite's position about not reaching the CL because it will be difficult for such team even to make the knock-out stage, but to face a top-5 stagnation is not a good thing as well. Another time we'll likely see our best players being sold during summer transfer window and the League in the next season could be even tougher.

Last edited:
we're inching ourselves into top 4...look at this way: we're still in it despite a managerial and system change.

come next campaign we have a number of new talents who have gained a year's experience and with a proper pre-season, would be instrumental in our next campaign.

the worry is how to keep the likes of verts and loris, who want to (and deserve to be) competing in the CL. maybe a big name coach is on the cards, and with baldini now fully understanding the epl, we just might get that balance in the squad so desperately lacking in the last few years.

If we beat Chelsea it could be on. The premiership is odd this year now decent teams in it.

Ramsey returning will probably spark Arsenal back into life

Results from last years fixtures against our next 10 opponents.

Chelsea (A) Drew
Arsenal (H) Won
Southampton (H) Won
Liverpool (A) Lost
Sunderland (H) Won
West Brom (A) Won
Fulham (H) Lost
Stoke (A) Won
West Ham (A) Won
Villa (H) Won

We managed to take 22 points out of a possible 30 with those games last year. The same return would see us finish on 75 points this season, but in all likelihood 78-79 points will be the cut off point for top four this year so we will need at least 8 wins from these next 10 to even be in with a shout. It's gonna be horrible two months.

Ah well maybe next year.

we're inching ourselves into top 4...look at this way: we're still in it despite a managerial and system change.

come next campaign we have a number of new talents who have gained a year's experience and with a proper pre-season, would be instrumental in our next campaign.

the worry is how to keep the likes of verts and loris, who want to (and deserve to be) competing in the CL. maybe a big name coach is on the cards, and with baldini now fully understanding the epl, we just might get that balance in the squad so desperately lacking in the last few years.

My concern is that if we do change manager at the end of the season half the players bought last summer will be gone becuase they weren't "his" signings and all we'll have is the same old same old of "new manager, new players, new system, lots of promise" but no continuity leading to us discussing this matter again next year.

If we beat Chelsea it could be on. The premiership is odd this year now decent teams in it.

Ramsey returning will probably spark Arsenal back into life

Still think you'll win the league Luda?! Your boys starting your customary slump in feb / mar.

I don't share this view. Our players are good enough for the Champions League, certeinly not good enough for winning it but good enough for finishing 2nd in the group. I mean, have you seen what kind of teams participate in this competition year in year out?

And then you shouldn't underestimate the importance of denying one other team Champions League football. Liverpool need it to keep Suarez, Woolwich need it to buy better players in summer. It would be a great advantage for us in the years to come if we could finish above one of these two this season.

It won't be easy next year if we get there. We'd have to invest in the squad and even then we'd be stretched with so many important games. United and Liverpool or Arsenal would focus primarily on the league and would be a sure fire bet to get back in the top four next year.

In order to stay there we'd need to ride a tough period and grow our commercial revenue base significantly

The only way you get CL quality players it to either qualify for the CL or buy players young enough and watch them develop (eg Sandro) however that takes time. Usually if you sign a EL standard player, such as Dembele, he'll remain as such, unless he's young enough and improves

Also, if we dont qualify for the CL then the small number of our CL standard players which we do have (eg Lloris, Verts, Sandro etc) will leave which leaves us with mroe rebuilding to do

I'm not saying that we will qualify for teh CL this year however we're only 6 points behind two teams in the top 4 and still have to play them both (and **** arent looking anything like the team which they were earlier this year)

I can't see us getting 4th. I know I'm a bit of a pessimist, but don't think we have that great a chance with our current form versus our competitor's current form. We can always hope for someone dipping in form, but with Liverpool only having the Premier League to play for, I can't see it happening to them unless they get someone important out injured (Suarez or Coutinho). Chelsea have a big squad, seem to grind out results at will, and seem to have the easiest remaining fixtures. City are too good, and Le **** seem to edge us with the fixtures they have left.

Here's my rather pessimistic prediction. I know I'm possibly being overly "optimistic" about the other teams results, some of them are going to have slip-ups, but the general sense I get from the remaining fixtures are that we are going to come quite a few points behind the current top 4, unfortunately.

Liverpool

ManU (A) - 1p
Cardiff (A) - 3p
Sunderland (H) - 3p
Spurs (H) - 3p
West Ham (A) - 3p
Emirates Marketing Project (H) - 1p
Norwich (A) - 3p
Chelsea (H) - 1p
Palace (A) - 3p
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (H) - 3p

Total - 83 points.

Spurs

Chelsea (A) - 0p
**** (H) - 1p
Southampton (H) - 3p
Liverpool (A) - 0p
Sunderland (H) - 3p
WBA (A) - 1p
Fulham (H) - 3p
Stoke (A) - 1p
West Ham (A) - 3p
Villa (H) - 3p

Total - 68 points.

Gooners

Swansea (H) - 3p
Spurs (A) - 1p
Chelsea (A) - 1p
Everton (A) - 1p
West Ham (H) - 3p
Hull (A) - 3p
WBA (H) - 3p
Norwich (A) - 3p

Total - 81 points.

Emirates Marketing Project

Villa (H) - 3p
Sunderland (H) - 3p
Hull (A) - 3p
Fulham (H) - 3p
Man United (A) - 1p
**** (A) - 1p
Southampton (H) - 3p
Liverpool (A) - 1p
West Brom (H) - 3p
Palace (A) - 3p
Everton (A) - 1p
West Ham (H) - 3p

Total - 85 points.

Chelsea

Spurs (H) - 3p
Villa (A) - 3p
**** (H) - 1p
Palace (A) - 3p
Stoke (H) - 3p
Swansea (A) - 3p
Sunderland (H) - 3p
Liverpool (A) - 1p
Norwich (H) - 3p
Cardiff (A) - 3p

Total - 89 points.

----

1. Chelski 89
2. Emirates Marketing Project 85
3. Liverpool 83
4. Gooners 81
?. Spurs 68

I can't see us getting 4th. I know I'm a bit of a pessimist, but don't think we have that great a chance with our current form versus our competitor's current form. We can always hope for someone dipping in form, but with Liverpool only having the Premier League to play for, I can't see it happening to them unless they get someone important out injured (Suarez or Coutinho). Chelsea have a big squad, seem to grind out results at will, and seem to have the easiest remaining fixtures. City are too good, and Le **** seem to edge us with the fixtures they have left.

Here's my rather pessimistic prediction. I know I'm possibly being overly "optimistic" about the other teams results, some of them are going to have slip-ups, but the general sense I get from the remaining fixtures are that we are going to come quite a few points behind the current top 4, unfortunately.

Liverpool

ManU (A) - 1p
Cardiff (A) - 3p
Sunderland (H) - 3p
Spurs (H) - 3p
West Ham (A) - 3p
Norwich (A) - 3p
Chelsea (H) - 1p
Palace (A) - 3p

Total - 83 points.

Spurs

Chelsea (A) - 0p
**** (H) - 1p
Southampton (H) - 3p
Liverpool (A) - 0p
Sunderland (H) - 3p
WBA (A) - 1p
Fulham (H) - 3p
Stoke (A) - 1p
West Ham (A) - 3p
Villa (H) - 3p

Total - 68 points.

Gooners

Swansea (H) - 3p
Spurs (A) - 1p
Chelsea (A) - 1p
Everton (A) - 1p
West Ham (H) - 3p
Hull (A) - 3p
WBA (H) - 3p
Norwich (A) - 3p

Total - 81 points.

Emirates Marketing Project

Villa (H) - 3p
Sunderland (H) - 3p
Hull (A) - 3p
Fulham (H) - 3p
Man United (A) - 1p
**** (A) - 1p
Southampton (H) - 3p
Liverpool (A) - 1p
West Brom (H) - 3p
Palace (A) - 3p
Everton (A) - 1p
West Ham (H) - 3p

Total - 85 points.

Chelsea

Spurs (H) - 3p
Villa (A) - 3p
**** (H) - 1p
Palace (A) - 3p
Stoke (H) - 3p
Swansea (A) - 3p
Sunderland (H) - 3p
Liverpool (A) - 1p
Norwich (H) - 3p
Cardiff (A) - 3p

Total - 89 points.

----

1. Chelski 89
2. Emirates Marketing Project 85
3. Liverpool 83
4. Gooners 81
?. Spurs 68

I can guarantee you we will not see both Chelski, City, Liverpool and **** all go unbeaten for the rest of the season. All teams will have slip-ups, like **** this weekend.

Agreed with your top 4 prediction though, just not the points total. I'm guessing neither **** nor Liverpool will make it to 80 points.

My concern is that if we do change manager at the end of the season half the players bought last summer will be gone becuase they weren't "his" signings and all we'll have is the same old same old of "new manager, new players, new system, lots of promise" but no continuity leading to us discussing this matter again next year.

Hopefully Baldini and Levy are there to ensure continuity. And they take that into account with the new (supposed) manager.
By now I imagine Levy feeling vindicated that the hierarchy works given that weree still competitive despite the managerial change.

As for player transfers, it's bound to happen. We can hope that it plays out to a larger club masterplan than to a managers' whim.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fapatalk

Final table (top seven)

1st Emirates Marketing Project..........87pts

City's formidable home form proves the difference as they reclaim the title and Manuel Pellegrini celebrates his first season with the championship crown. They see out the season with a perfect home record, Chelsea the only one of their top-seven rivals still to visit the Etihad. Back-to-back away losses at Arsenal and Liverpool trigger fears of a late stutter, but they recover to confirm their title with a final-day victory over West Ham.

2nd Chelsea.........85pts

The Chelsea of old under Jose Mourinho shines through as the season draws to its close and they finish the campaign just two points shy of the champions. February's defeat at the Etihad proves costly, as does a late-season reverse at Liverpool, but they still take the race to the wire.

3rd Liverpool........82pts

The return of Daniel Sturridge, allied to Luis Suarez's unrelenting brilliance, sees the Reds win the next six, including victory in the Merseyside derby. A string of away draws curtails their title challenge but still they finish just five points adrift of the winners and claim third position ahead of Arsenal.

4th Arsenal...........81pts

With their squad stretched as the season gathers pace and European football returns, the Gunners' title aspirations fade. They do enjoy a home victory over Emirates Marketing Project and are beaten just twice - at Liverpool and Stoke - between now and the end of the season, but Arsene Wenger's wait for a fourth title is extended to at least 11 years.

5th Spurs..............70pts

The top four prove too strong for the other challengers and crucial defeats against rivals Emirates Marketing Project, Arsenal and Liverpool do for their Champions League ambitions. Still, though, Tim Sherwood's boys do enough to hold off Man Utd and Everton to take fifth position and Europa League qualification - they're sure to be thrilled with that...

6th Man Utd..........68pts

Inconsistency continues to plague United's title defence and the now customary defeat to their city adversaries sparks yet more talk of crisis for David Moyes. They do win the last three to take sixth position ahead of Everton, but will that be enough to earn Moyes another season at Old Trafford?

7th Everton...........67pts

Draws prove the Toffees' undoing as their failure to turn one point into three sees their Champions League hopes slip away. It's still a respectable return for Roberto Martinez in his first season at Goodison Park, although they are pipped to sixth by former boss Moyes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2539135/With-Premier-Leagues-seven-winning-weekend-predict-season-play-reveal-new-champions.html

Click the link to see all the results as predicted by the Daily Mail.
Wow, you posted this mid-January and it looks like exactly the type of scenario that is unfolding.

Could be the first time the Daily Fail has ever done anything right. :D

I can guarantee you we will not see both Chelski, City, Liverpool and **** all go unbeaten for the rest of the season. All teams will have slip-ups, like **** this weekend.

Agreed with your top 4 prediction though, just not the points total. I'm guessing neither **** nor Liverpool will make it to 80 points.

Yeah, I know that's not realistic. They won't all go unbeaten. But generally, I think the remainder of the season will go something along those lines. More or less all the teams are going to have slip-ups, and the point tallies I came up with are far too high, but in terms of probability of match results, I think the predictions are pretty good. There will always be some variance, of course, but the point is just that I think we'll have a very hard time reaching that 4th spot, unless some of the teams above us slip up a whole lot, which I cannot see happening right now. :(

Yeah, I know that's not realistic. They won't all go unbeaten. But generally, I think the remainder of the season will go something along those lines. More or less all the teams are going to have slip-ups, and the point tallies I came up with are far too high, but in terms of probability of match results, I think the predictions are pretty good. There will always be some variance, of course, but the point is just that I think we'll have a very hard time reaching that 4th spot, unless some of the teams above us slip up a whole lot, which I cannot see happening right now. :(

Agreed on that - we don't look anything like top four contenders at the moment, and I think we should be happy if we manage fifth, really. Both Manu and Everton are capable of overtaking us.

I guess the only hope is that we miraculously click as a team, like we've very rarely done this season. I think our squad is mostly very talented, but we've struggled to play together as one unit. 11 good players running around with no purpose, doesn't make a good team. Sadly I don't think that will happen either.

Back