• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Formula One on Sky

Also, I said he is a boring driver and I dislike this and his personality. I never said he can't drive.

Personally, I think his career has been largely made up of uninspired driving which does not hold a great amount of maneuvers such as Suzuka and he isn't anywhere near as exciting to watch as either Hamilton or Alonso coming from the back or in a scrap. He lacks the flair of either of those two drivers.

The above to me impies some kind of a clueless clogger to the tune of Stoke or Wolves

AND ANOTHER THING!.. Hehe... Don't talk to me about race pace. Grosjean was only 5 seconds off of Hamilton after the first stint! And I attribute that to driving skills. That car was plenty fast enough throughout. Kimi's middle stint was very good, but also attributable to Hamilton and Button holding up the race on prime tyres whilst Kimi had fresh air. Just saying... :D

Hamilton aslo had fresh air - why didn't he close the gap then? Kimi had used options then, remember - Hamilton had fresh primes!

They did the same strategy a week ago in Germany btw - worked here because of the narrow track and little chance of overtaking, imv

The above to me impies some kind of a clueless clogger to the tune of Stoke or Wolves

There have been plenty of boring champions in all sorts of sports mate (see Graham's Arsenal). He just doesn't get the blood pumping for me. Personally I'm waiting for the day a Japanese lad gets a top ride. The world might implode on that day.

Hamilton aslo had fresh air - why didn't he close the gap then? Kimi had used options then, remember - Hamilton had fresh primes!

They did the same strategy a week ago in Germany btw - worked here because of the narrow track and little chance of overtaking, imv
Kimi's options kept getting faster and faster actually. He was setting purple laps at the end of his stint whilst the prime barely managed to break 1:26 on any car all race.

As for Maclaren, they are arse clowns when it comes to strategy, I would be furious if I was Button.

"Hey Jenson... Senna's just pitted and youve got fresh air... For 1 lap, those tyres have done at least 6 laps now, better get on some nice hard tyres till the end of the race hey"

For sure, but considering they were at least a second quicker than the prime and he still had about 10 laps life in them and fresh air, it made no sense to bring him in when they did. He could have used the option for longer, claw back a bit on Vettell and have a fresher set of primes for the last stint. Madness imo.

I think (unfortunately) tyres have a much bigger impact on races than we can imagine - considerably more so than strategies at times! Whether that's been done intentionally or not - we'd never know but look at Vettel in the latter stages - pitted and made up around 18 seconds in around ten-odd laps on Grosjean who was already (by and large) matching Lewis' pace in the closing stint!

Last edited:
I actually think this "manufactured" degredation that has been brought into the tyre lifespan sucks. As soon as the tyre is shot you fall off the cliff and here is practically no way to avoid it. Someone that looks after their tyres might get a few extra laps but not much else, so you might as well go hell for leather and pit early. Certainly there is no point running two stints on prime like McLaren are atm when they seem to run the same amount of laps. Kimi must have gotten mid twentyish out of his options going like a bat from hell when Lewis and Jenson only got about 20 off the prime in their second stints. What's the point?

I actually think this "manufactured" degredation that has been brought into the tyre lifespan sucks. As soon as the tyre is shot you fall off the cliff and here is practically no way to avoid it. Someone that looks after their tyres might get a few extra laps but not much else, so you might as well go hell for leather and pit early. Certainly there is no point running two stints on prime like McLaren are atm when they seem to run the same amount of laps. Kimi must have gotten mid twentyish out of his options going like a bat from hell when Lewis and Jenson only got about 20 off the prime in their second stints. What's the point?

All depends on the degradation profile of each car at each level of "rubbering-in" and fuel loads.

When the track gets some rubber on it and the fuel loads get light, Lotus can fly on reasonably old tyres - McLaren can't do that. They're not as bad as Ferrari who seem to really go "off the cliff" early, but they are lacking behind Red Bull and Lotus in that regard.

I suspect the reason Jenson was pitted when he was may be as much a trial for Lewis as it was tactics.

Trial for Lewis?

Lewis as race leader gets optimum strategy. Put Jenson on the new tyres and see how much ground he can make up - McLaren saw that Jenson wasn't making up the ground much at all so kept Lewis on the original strategy.

Lewis as race leader gets optimum strategy. Put Jenson on the new tyres and see how much ground he can make up - McLaren saw that Jenson wasn't making up the ground much at all so kept Lewis on the original strategy.

But Lewis was already leader and couldn't afford to stop again by the time Jenson did his final (bizarre) pit stop

But Lewis was already leader and couldn't afford to stop again by the time Jenson did his final (bizarre) pit stop

I think if the fresh tyres had the pace McLaren expected, and Raikkonen wasn't as quick as he turned out to be, there was another stop in there for Lewis.

I think if the fresh tyres had the pace McLaren expected, and Raikkonen wasn't as quick as he turned out to be, there was another stop in there for Lewis.

Disagree Scara, the second stop for Jensen to go onto plan 'b' and options may have been a trial for Lewis, but by the time they decided to take him off for his third stop, him and Hamilton were running completely different race strategies.

Button was still running well against Senna's times and keeping Vettell at bay and ruining his run on the options when they went plan B. should have kept him running imo to keep wrecking Vettel's tyres in dirty air whilst getting a bigger gap for Senna. tinkle poor judgement imo.

Disagree Scara, the second stop for Jensen to go onto plan 'b' and options may have been a trial for Lewis, but by the time they decided to take him off for his third stop, him and Hamilton were running completely different race strategies.

Button was still running well against Senna's times and keeping Vettell at bay and ruining his run on the options when they went plan B. should have kept him running imo to keep wrecking Vettel's tyres in dirty air whilst getting a bigger gap for Senna. tinkle poor judgement imo.

Maybe I have my timeline mixed up but I'm sure Hamilton was still on plan b at the time. Only sensible thing is to take the risk first with the 2nd placed driver.

Saying that they used Button as a test run is giving Mclaren too much credit. Their strategies are useless and they constantly mess up the race for their drivers. they always seems to use the wrong tire choice at the wrong time, never get their drivers out into clean air and are terrible at on the spot decisions and working with what is unfolding in front of them.

Its clear what happened. they thought they were going to have to switch both drivers to plan B ( 3 stop ) Button came in first and it failed as he go stuck behind Senna, they had already said at this point that they were thinking of switching lewis to a 3 stop strategy. But because it went so monumentally wrong for Button they just told Lewis to get on with it and make them last. After the Race both lewis and Button reported there was plenty of life left in the tires they had taken off, proving that Mclaren really dont know what is going on with the setup and tyre life and just pull drivers in at almost standard parts of the race.

BTW. Im a Mclaren and Hamilton fan. So all this really annoys the brick out of me. Thankfully they have sorted their pit stop nightmares out Thank fudge!

Wookie, is that you? :D

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, 2nd

Kimi is making ‘being miserable after a race’ into an art form. Whereas with most drivers what they say after a race is rarely that interesting, with Raikkonen you hang on his every word hoping that one time a scintilla of enthusiasm might slip through. Like Romain Grosjean being grumpy after a race or Pastor Maldonado admitting responsibility for one of his accidents, it’s probably never going to happen. Not until he wins from pole while lapping the whole field… and finding out they substituted the winning trophy for a tanker of premium lager.
He may have been grumpy after the race but it’s his fault, yet again he got overtaken on the opening lap and got stuck behind Alonso. Had he completed the opening lap in the position he qualified he’d probably have won. So it’s a nonsense to blame the Lotus team’s inability to qualify well. And I’m keen to know what his cheery engineer meant with the message: “Press okay twice, the battery’s a bit empty, Kimi,” in response to Raikkonen saying he had no KERS. Did he forget to charge it? Did he lose a place and lose the race because he forgot something. I’d like to think so

http://www.offonf1.com/

Last edited:
Back