• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fernando Llorente

I don't see why he doesn't start the odd game like we did away at Madrid. Surely worth a go in the league.

Janssen would be getting crucified if he played like Llorente has
I think making this into a llorente vs Janssen debate is unhelpful. Llorente is getting pelters in the same way that Janssen was mostly given support. We know that Llorente has proven he can score goals in a variety of settings including the PL; on that basis he was a good buy and there is still a reasonable expectation that he will come good at Spurs. I can't explain why he is not scoring now, but perhaps confidence is one thing and the whole team currently appears a little off form too. It is too early to be writing him off imo.

Janssen on the other hand was not "proven" except in the Dutch league from where strikers do not often transfer well into the PL. So with there being no point of reference suggesting he can do well in the PL given time, he was always going to have a harder time proving himself than Llorente. As much as I liked Janssen and supported him while at Spurs, his performances, at best, were mediocre. The same applied to Soldado.

On a final point, the failure (so far) of Llorente does not make the decision to move on Janssen any less valid IMHO. We are in the business of producing a team to compete on multiple fronts; fans are moaning when we are knocked out of the league Cup or on a poor run of form in the PL. Therefore there is no scope to be sentimental where a player may not be good enough. Poch certainly isn't.

Last edited:
Whom would you drop to accommodate him?

I don't like the word drop but we could rejig to play 3 in midfield such as Winks, Dembele and Eriksen say with Llorente and Kane up front or a variation of that 3 depending on who's available.

It's very difficult to expect much from the squad if they don't get occasional starts to get some form and understanding with their team mates.

I don't like the word drop but we could rejig to play 3 in midfield such as Winks, Dembele and Eriksen say with Llorente and Kane up front or a variation of that 3 depending on who's available.

It's very difficult to expect much from the squad if they don't get occasional starts to get some form and understanding with their team mates.
OK, so whom would you omit from the starting 11 to accommodate Llorente? I understand the notion that it's tough to come on for 10 minutes here or there and get in a groove, but there are some players who are able to do that and make an impact. Perhaps Llorente is not that guy - on current performance he certainly isn't.

OK, so whom would you omit from the starting 11 to accommodate Llorente? I understand the notion that it's tough to come on for 10 minutes here or there and get in a groove, but there are some players who are able to do that and make an impact. Perhaps Llorente is not that guy - on current performance he certainly isn't.

Well he certainly isn't at present, it's also his first season with us. It's different with other players like Son who have been with us a while so can come off the bench and slot in right away. He also didn't have a pre season with us.

I've already said I'd rest one of Alli and Eriksen, I'm not saying permanently but try it for a couple of games. Difficult to choose which player to rest as Alli's late runs might work well with his knock downs whereas Eriksen tends to play more balls in the air which might be better for him to score with.

Three relatively free-scoring strikers (Soldado, Janssen and now Llorente) arrive at Tottenham and the goals dry up. It's happened often enough in the past, especially since the 80s; notably Rebrov, Postiga, Rasiak, Zamora. Thankfully we've also had many success stories of course, Archibald, Clive Allen, Sheringham, Klinsmann, Berbatov, Keane to name a few, but it does seem something of a lottery.

So what could it be telling us? Too much expectation? Cultural shock/unable to adapt? One club wonder? Transfer fee burden? or just one of those things?

Three relatively free-scoring strikers (Soldado, Janssen and now Llorente) arrive at Tottenham and the goals dry up. It's happened often enough in the past, especially since the 80s; notably Rebrov, Postiga, Rasiak, Zamora. Thankfully we've also had many success stories of course, Archibald, Clive Allen, Sheringham, Klinsmann, Berbatov, Keane to name a few, but it does seem something of a lottery.

So what could it be telling us? Too much expectation? Cultural shock/unable to adapt? One club wonder? Transfer fee burden? or just one of those things?
Probably that signing strikers is a bit of a coin flip?.

And probably the same story would be told at any other club?

Who's the last decent striker we bought? Defoe?
Yep.

I do wonder though when we buy strikers whether we play to their strengths or even scout what their strengths and weaknesses are and how they will fit in at spurs.

Really wonder whether we would be wiser buying a cheaper stop gap and saving the money for wages.

The reality is that our best back up 'striker' the past few years has been Son tbh. And he is not even true striker.

Back