• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fat Sam = diversionary s**t-stirrer

[video=youtube_share;-ZI_8vNktyQ]http://youtu.be/-ZI_8vNktyQ[/video]

Doesn't say much wrong to my ears..

OK, I see I'm in a minority on this board, however right now on 5 Live, Henry Winter from the Telegraph has just basically said that the managerial community consider AVB a lucky chancer, that he does not really have allies within the domestic game right now, and that he does not have 'as many friends as an Allardyce'…

I suppose you'd have had to experience something similar to see it. I got my break in my profession as a 15-16 year old, and within two years met some very, very 'established' resistance from people who simply didn't feel I'd 'paid my dues', etc, etc…I certainly took a wiser approach in terms of how I handled it, making sure I got some important experienced people on my side, and thus rode out a potentially career-wrecking spell. My crime? Being too young to be where I was.

I don't deny that AVB has been naive in his handling of the press. He needed to be smarter about certain things, he should laugh a lot more of it off, but personally, I can also admire his firey defense of self and think that whether he is liked or not, managers and the LMA should back a manager against media whenever such things occur.

But the fact is he is not popular among his peers.

If you're interested, listen back to the Monday Night Club when it's a podcast. The host even says 'sounds like the mafia' to which Winter replies 'it sort of is'...

Complete opposite to what we've been hearing on here all week from posters saying AVB being so respected within Football.

Come on mate…THAT'S dramatic!

Do you not see the point I'm making here, or are you being deliberately generalist?

Again, WHY is this fat, cosy CNUT, commenting on AVB (again as Norway points out)? Do you not think it's odd? Haven't seen others passing comment.

Because AVB is a big story at the moment. He was asked about him and he answered.
I'm sure he'd rather be talking about West Ham.

OK, I see I'm in a minority on this board, however right now on 5 Live, Henry Winter from the Telegraph has just basically said that the managerial community consider AVB a lucky chancer, that he does not really have allies within the domestic game right now, and that he does not have 'as many friends as an Allardyce'…

I suppose you'd have had to experience something similar to see it. I got my break in my profession as a 15-16 year old, and within two years met some very, very 'established' resistance from people who simply didn't feel I'd 'paid my dues', etc, etc…I certainly took a wiser approach in terms of how I handled it, making sure I got some important experienced people on my side, and thus rode out a potentially career-wrecking spell. My crime? Being too young to be where I was.

I don't deny that AVB has been naive in his handling of the press. He needed to be smarter about certain things, he should laugh a lot more of it off, but personally, I can also admire his firey defense of self and think that whether he is liked or not, managers and the LMA should back a manager against media whenever such things occur.

But the fact is he is not popular among his peers.

If you're interested, listen back to the Monday Night Club when it's a podcast. The host even says 'sounds like the mafia' to which Winter replies 'it sort of is'...
If this is true, then I think there is only one word to describe it, and that is 'envy'. Here you have the good old boys who have been around British football for decades, but never landed the big jobs. And suddenly some young, intelligent Portuguese guy comes in and gets the jobs they've been desiring for all those years. In such a situation you can easily imagine that the old phalanx will join forces and do some good old-fashioned trash talk behind his back.

Because AVB is a big story at the moment. He was asked about him and he answered.
I think he'd rather avoid talking about West Ham at the moment. He is under quite a lot of pressure himself. They got a result at the weekend, but they've been poor this season, and the fans have never liked him much. Questions about other matters probably suit him quite well now.

that he does not really have allies within the domestic game right now, and that he does not have 'as many friends as an Allardyce'…

This part I believe. Coming in and disrupting the old boys' club. How dare he?

I think he'd rather avoid talking about West Ham at the moment. He is under quite a lot of pressure himself. They got a result at the weekend, but they've been poor this season, and the fans have never liked him much. Questions about other matters probably suit him quite well now.

Putting more pressure on AVB before our quarter final doesn't hurt him I suppose.

I wish people that keep saying AVB should just 'take the criticism on the chin' would actually understand what he had a problem with. I'm sure he laughs off criticism every day because he doesn't have time for it. What he actually responded to was the Daily Mail deliberately mixing his words to further their agenda that he cannot take responsibility and bats it off onto the players. He did not say what the reported, and he corrected them. That is it. There is not one single reason I've heard from anyone that says he should not correct the press when they deliberately do something like that. 'They'll write more negative articles!' so ****ing what? 'Other managers will think he is immature!' again, who the **** cares?

The only thing that matters is that the players are behind AVB. And after this week they know exactly what the press in this country are like, and won't be taking any notice of it. As for Allardyce, it is pretty low to call another manager immature. I've not seen that with anyone else before. It's a fair point from Steff that they stick together because they can all be on the receiving end - but he's chose to have a little dig, and mix it in with a patronising 'it's admirable really' so if he is picked up on it he can say, 'what? me? Noooo I was being nice about him!'

Sly bastard.

Complete opposite to what we've been hearing on here all week from posters saying AVB being so respected within Football.

Respected within football? Most definitely? Respected by the English Old Boys network that betray their insecurities that this guy is part of a new breed that is leaving them behind? Abso-mo-lutely.

and that he does not have 'as many friends as an Allardyce'...

He also doesn't have the same amount of managerial trophies as an Allardyce.
He also doesn't suck the amount of his peers' ****s as an Allardyce.
And he isn't as **** scared of the gutter press as an Allardyce.

I ... was so annoyed by Fat Sam's pathetic comments ...
he takes a cheap shot
a cynical opportunity
I think it's disgraceful
He is despicable

He says he admires what AVB did and that he's probably right, but it might get him into trouble. Seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to say, but you really exploded at this one Steff?!

I'm no fan of fat Sam and thought that AVB handled the press conference well but I don't see what Fat Sam said wrong here. It looked like he was asked his opinion and basically said that although he admired AVB for sticking up for himself and that AVB was probably right, in his experience its best to keep schtum when it comes to the media. I don't think he meant the immaturity thing as a put down but as somene who is relatively new to managing especially in the EPL and having to deal with the blood thirsty English press.
I do think that the press have treated AVB badly but Cannot see much wrong with what fat sam has said.

I think the immaturity line is a key point, it's something very pointed and targeted, these guys know what they are going to get asked and know exactly what points they want the press to take away from it.

Right.
I get that.
However, what about THIS for an answer to that question.

"I'd rather not comment on other managers, only to say that we've all been under the microscope from time to time, it's an unfortunate part of the game and I think all managers can empathize with others who come under such scrutiny."

And if he'd rather be talking about West Ham (although frankly I think any sane person would look for reasons not to :lol:\o/) then why not just say the following;

"Lads, if you don't mind I'd rather talk about West Ham United and the match tomorrow."

I'll say this, if people genuinely don't think what the fat cnut said was calculated, measured and a dig, I think they're being naive!

But fair enough, opinions and all that…again though, if you're interested, do check out the Monday Night Club podcast, as what Winter says is pretty interesting, as much for what he doesn't say as what he does.

Come on mate…THAT'S dramatic!

Do you not see the point I'm making here, or are you being deliberately generalist?

Again, WHY is this fat, cosy CNUT, commenting on AVB (again as Norway points out)? Do you not think it's odd? Haven't seen others passing comment.

I don't think it's dramatic at all. You only have to look at the AVB thread to see how ugly things have become around here lately, some posters take criticism of AVB personally as if they are having a go at a family member.

As Modric said, he was more than likely asked about it, is he supposed to lie? He said AVB was right and he admired him, really don't see what the fuss is about. AVB has made comments about other teams and managers in recent months namely about Arsenal's "downward spiral" and his spat with Mourinho. ill advised I believe, but it was his right to voice his opinion just like Allardyce. Would Allardyce have been better served keeping schtum? Probably, but I've seen people say worse about Spurs.

I wish people that keep saying AVB should just 'take the criticism on the chin' would actually understand what he had a problem with. I'm sure he laughs off criticism every day because he doesn't have time for it. What he actually responded to was the Daily Mail deliberately mixing his words to further their agenda that he cannot take responsibility and bats it off onto the players. He did not say what the reported, and he corrected them. That is it. There is not one single reason I've heard from anyone that says he should not correct the press when they deliberately do something like that. 'They'll write more negative articles!' so ****ing what? 'Other managers will think he is immature!' again, who the **** cares?

The only thing that matters is that the players are behind AVB. And after this week they know exactly what the press in this country are like, and won't be taking any notice of it. As for Allardyce, it is pretty low to call another manager immature. I've not seen that with anyone else before. It's a fair point from Steff that they stick together because they can all be on the receiving end - but he's chose to have a little dig, and mix it in with a patronising 'it's admirable really' so if he is picked up on it he can say, 'what? me? Noooo I was being nice about him!'

Sly bastard.

I've seen that interview about 5 times and I didn't see him say the word "immature". Do you not think you are overreacting slightly?

Look I know what 'Steffs' issue is

He is confirming my suspicions HE IS AVB - I am so not lying. I think he is AVB.

Back