• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Expectations for Season 2015-16

OKUGvcM.png

my expectations for the coming season :cool:

An improvement in our defensive record
A top 6 position and a genuine focus on top 4
A cup run again
3 new young players to come in and see the boat even further

Finish top 6 with a top 4 challenge until April then fade away.

I believe we can finish above Liverpool again. They have lost their 3 best players in just over 12 months (sound familiar?) and it remains to be seen whether they have been adequatly replaced.

A decent cup run. Above all else, I would like to win the FA Cup. We have lost 6 semi finals in a row and it has been far too long since we last won it, plus the gooner scum have won it twice in a row.

As mentioned above, the bar was set relatively low for Poch last season, I expect the performances to improve compare to last campaign.

Less defeats against the pony sides in the lesague. Granted this is Tottenham we are talking about so we are always going to lose at least 2-3 games at home against shocking teams.

The centre midfield to be improved. We need an upgrade on Mason IMO, he's a squad player at best.

Our defensive record to improve dramtically. Work harder in training, bring in another defensive coach, hand out pay incentives to not make howlers i.e. whatever it takes so that we don't have to watch the kind of defending we had to sit through last season.

With a team this young I expect our performances to vary alot. We'll probably have some great games and some brick games. But it'll tell alot about the caracter of our future stars.

I just hope we can make it to the end of the season with the same manager we have now! That's always a good sign.

Frankly, I think Pochettino is stupid for not making major signings this season. I do get the feeling we will struggle next season and Levy will blame and victimize Pochettino entirely for that.

Frankly, I think Pochettino is stupid for not making major signings this season. I do get the feeling we will struggle next season and Levy will blame and victimize Pochettino entirely for that.

What major signings would you say he should/ could have signed?

Tough season, with some bad days. Hopefully the team will grow and develop (again) into a team that perform well consistently whether at home or away.

Patience from all involved.

If we are truly going to try and develop youth products into first team regulars then we need to give them time and have patience. There will be some poor displays and some defeats, but you can't have it both ways: we can't buy quality players for the first team on big wages and leave spaces for the necessary first team football required to keep young pro's firstly on the right track in developmental terms, and secondly in terms of giving them enough first team football to ensure they see a future at the club.

If we are going to go into the season with the likes of Winks, Onomah, Velkjovic, Pritchard, Alli etc as our bench, then we need to expect the inevitable. If they are having a bad day then we WILL get turned over by Chelsea, Man Utd even on occasion by the likes of Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Stoke.

If we say we are prepared to go down this route, then we as fans need to remember that next time we go behind to Villa at home. There is going to be a responsibility on the shoulders of the fans in the stadium: getting on the backs of young guys in the ground could do untold damage to their careers (at least in a spurs shirt). They need support and not to be crippled by the weight of expectations. I'm fairly reactionary myself, but luckily Im only spouting bile on a message board, not raining down vitriol on young guys from the stands.

Even the players we look at as our stars are kids (Eriksen, Kane) plus other first teamers are young guys (Dier) or approaching their prime (Rose). Our big money signings are also youngsters who are taking time to adapt (Lamela). We only have a handful who you could suggest are entering their prime now (Vertonghen, Lloris).

In terms of concrete expectations for the coming season? A top 6 finish with these young guys would be a superb effort. Top 6 plus a real noticeable, tangible playing style and philosophy would be superb. In the cups I'd like to see us not be the victim of an upset, and give a good account of ourselves whomever we face.

I think in the EL there is room for massive improvement. Its time we started beating the likes of Benfica and Fiorentina. We have better resources, probably better players, but we lack the nous to get past these teams in Europe for whatever reason. This year, I'd love for us to really put a marker in the sand and get to the last four/final/win it. If Sevilla can win it on a regular basis, and Dnipro can get to the final, then there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to emulate that.

We have been disappointing in Europe, apart from the CL run. Under Jol we were inexperienced in European terms due to our prolonged absence from regular European football. I think its time to stop being also rans. Whichever you cut it its damaging to prestige to always be there, never to challenge. Chelsea, Atletico, Sevilla, Valencia etc lay down markers by winning it, or by making finals and semis. We should do everything in our power to join that band of teams. If we can't then unfortunately we are only proving that we aren't a capable football team in continental terms. But i think we are, and i think we can do it. We belong in the top band of EL teams. We should, and can, compete and beat the likes of Sevilla, Valencia, Napoli etc. We should be amongst that group, not lumped in with the also rans.

Top post Armchair Expert . I also wanted to write regarding patience being shown by all of us, but I'm glad you beat me to it, well said.

Looking at our opening fixtures , we have Man Ure away and a confident Stoke at WHL so it's going to be tough. It could well mean that we have a slow start and enthusiasm amongst the following quickly sours. But we need to stick together , show we're good supporters for the young players, that we're behind them.

I want also to say, that I'm loving what's going on at our club, I believe the road we're on is the right one. Poch has earned the respect at the club and is now putting together a young talented squad that will run through brick walls for him, his authority is unquestioned and that's how it should be. I just hope Levy understands all this and gives him the tools and support to push us on.

COYS!

I would just like a 20+ goal difference, when was the last time we had one of those?

I would just like a 20+ goal difference, when was the last time we had one of those?

That's exactly what i said yesterday, how long since we had a really positive goal difference? Too damn long.

Whatever that could have strengthened the squad greatly. You can't say we have improved much from last season, atleast on paper.

So no idea really, and yes I do believe we have improved the squad.

Also that is a great post Armchair Expert.

It's usually around this time of year that my optimism gets completely out of hand and I start predicting title challenges. There's just something about the approach of August that makes me a little crazy. Bearing that in mind and trying to be realistic... I expect another fifth place finish, BUT if one of the teams above us has a bad season (not "likely" but certainly possible) then I fully expect us to be the team that takes advantage. I also expect us to have at least one decent domestic cup run and reach the latter stages of the Europa League.

Obviously I'm hoping we win something... the Europa League would be amazing... but we're talking "expectations" here.

Mostly though, I'm expecting to see a better Tottenham. I absolutely love the fact that we're such a young team. If we can keep this group together, and if they all improve - as individuals and as a unit - like we hope they will (admittedly, two very big "if"s) then we're looking at the emergence of a team that will really challenge for the title. But that's another 2 or 3 years away. Just imagine... Dier, Bentaleb and Kane all hitting their peak at the same time, just as we're moving into the new stadium!

But that's getting ahead of ourselves... for this season I'm just hoping (and expecting) to see progress towards that. I want to see us tighten up our defence, and I want to see us start developing an attacking style that complements Kane instead of relying on him.

I don't expect miracles. But I do expect progress.

It's usually around this time of year that my optimism gets completely out of hand and I start predicting title challenges. There's just something about the approach of August that makes me a little crazy. Bearing that in mind and trying to be realistic... I expect another fifth place finish, BUT if one of the teams above us has a bad season (not "likely" but certainly possible) then I fully expect us to be the team that takes advantage. I also expect us to have at least one decent domestic cup run and reach the latter stages of the Europa League.

Obviously I'm hoping we win something... the Europa League would be amazing... but we're talking "expectations" here.

Mostly though, I'm expecting to see a better Tottenham. I absolutely love the fact that we're such a young team. If we can keep this group together, and if they all improve - as individuals and as a unit - like we hope they will (admittedly, two very big "if"s) then we're looking at the emergence of a team that will really challenge for the title. But that's another 2 or 3 years away. Just imagine... Dier, Bentaleb and Kane all hitting their peak at the same time, just as we're moving into the new stadium!

But that's getting ahead of ourselves... for this season I'm just hoping (and expecting) to see progress towards that. I want to see us tighten up our defence, and I want to see us start developing an attacking style that complements Kane instead of relying on him.

I don't expect miracles. But I do expect progress.

You dont expect Liverpool to take 5th then? Just interested after all their outlay on players.

You dont expect Liverpool to take 5th then? Just interested after all their outlay on players.
I don't as it happens. I think losing Gerrard will be a big blow, from a team psychology standpoint - he was obviously past his best as a player. Add to that the manner in which Sterling left... which can't have had a good effect on the atmosphere around the place. If anything I expect them to be mid-table by Christmas with Rogers losing his job and the new guy managing to get them to a respectable 7th by the end of the season.

But we shall see.....

I don't as it happens. I think losing Gerrard will be a big blow, from a team psychology standpoint - he was obviously past his best as a player. Add to that the manner in which Sterling left... which can't have had a good effect on the atmosphere around the place. If anything I expect them to be mid-table by Christmas with Rogers losing his job and the new guy managing to get them to a respectable 7th by the end of the season.

But we shall see.....

I agree and hope that Rodgers loses his job, can't stand the man and also think if he gets fired he will never get another job at anything other than a mid-table side.

Despite them buying LOTS of attacking players, i still see them weak at the back which could be their achilles heel, however if they click i think they will be closer to top 4 than us.

Back