• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

Might as well just make a World league now that advances in travel to places like Australia from the UK can now be done in a couple of hours, by flying to the edge of space and back down again to your chosen destination.

If this does happen and all clubs are given untold riches how will competing for top players work?

Around 10 clubs will have the money to buy them so everyone just offers the player £1m a week etc.

Might end up with that draft thing they do in the US.

Who says it replaces current European competition? I thought it was pitched as a totally separate competition from anything that exists currently?

It's supposed to be the Premier League to the old Football League First Division. It's a replacement that will knock the existing competition down to being 2nd tier.

The problem I see is that it's just too much football. Which competitions will matter? Premier League, 1 or 2 national cups, A-League, Champions League, Europa League, Conference League, Audi Cup? You can't win THIS but at least you can win THAT. Every cup/league fighting for relevance and status, while there's 8-10 champions after a season but champion of what? I fully understand the motives, though I suspect that pleasing the fans isn't the top priority. You will see a lot of second strings - which in itself isn't a bad thing but still. Things may change, but right now I'm bored before it's even started.

If this does happen and all clubs are given untold riches how will competing for top players work?

Around 10 clubs will have the money to buy them so everyone just offers the player £1m a week etc.

Might end up with that draft thing they do in the US.
Indeed will just concentrate the money to a smaller group of teams. Which is not good.
The one thing I’d say about the new look is from a yearly competition point of view, ignoring how you qualify for it, is it’s better than the champions league Swiss model which is a load of rubbish imo.

This new competition will be a rival to the premier league (no English teams will be in it) and that is a good thing.

Let the Spanish and Italians knock themselves out.

Lots of big names already opted out again( United, PSG, City, Bayern, Dortmund, even Atletico).

So Barcelona and Madrid see their salvation in a free to air mid week competition instead of the riches of the champions league.

They’ll be bankrupt before the end of the first season.

(Edited as Liverpool have not yet confirmed nothing)

Last edited:
I think something like this is inevitable, we’ll all have to embrace it sooner or later.

I think it will lead to higher quality football at the top end.

We absolutely have to be in it.
Can’t see it happening. Would need majority of the top teams to be part of it for it to even have some legs. The ruling by the court before the new proposal will just mean that UEFA will need to consult clubs more going forward rather than dictate what is going to happen.

I think something like this is inevitable, we’ll all have to embrace it sooner or later.

I actually think it narrows down the quality IMO. Everything has its own shelf life too, playing Barcelona every year on a league format will get boring quickly

I actually think it narrows down the quality IMO. Everything has its own shelf life too, playing Barcelona every year on a league format will get boring quickly

You say that, but new rivalries will grow, it’ll become the new bread and butter league, the existing PL isn’t boring.

The problem is the lack of real conversation around this proposal

- Sky/BT/FA/UEFA are on a constant PR offensive trying to protect their investments and lack of investment in any ESL model. And most fans are just bleating out exactly what is being fed to them.
- You can go dig through my old posts on this, I said from day 1, this brick would get thrown out of court, there is no fudging model where a business (UEFA/FIFA/FA) can tell other independent businesses (clubs) who they can do business with. Lots of people disagreed, I'm an idiot, etc. I've worked in business where this kind of thing is constantly scrutinized.
- Biggest tell on this is the clubs that actually opposed it

As for Spurs fans, really don't fudging understand it
- ESL would have paid for a large percentage of our stadium (infrastructure investment is part of it), what did the FA do for us again? oh yes, London gave West Ham a free stadium and Manchester gave City a free stadium and we got fudge all (seems so unfair this ESL thing compared to what we get now)
- Consistent revenue streams, not the fudging yo-yo of no Europe/Europa/CL fudging with the ability of the club to plan multiple years in advance
- Limits on spend/wages so you have no City/PSG type scenario, how many trophies do you think Spurs would have won in the last 20 years if not for City/Chelsea? and again, what is the alternative, what is the FA doing? oh yes, deducting points from Everton while City's decade long investigation continues with no end in sight?
- Everyone is still in the PL, what really fudging changes other than you swap one cup competition for another? it will actually give some competitions to smaller teams to actually have a shot at winning something/anything
- FIFA/UEFA/FA aren't changing and aren't open to feedback, ESL has actually made some changes based on pushback, UEFA, oh right, the guy from PSG is in charge of FFP? literally wtf?

So what's the bitch?
- Some weird british guilt about being fair? the system is fudged right now, we are being fudged daily, if we get an opportunity to better our position we should turn it down because it "might" harm who? you think any of West Ham, Everton, Villa and their fans would think about us for a nano fudging second?

Reality, we all complain about playing some no name side in Europe, there is a market for top 6 in UK, top 4 in other leagues to be the competition. Now or later, some model will eventually land and if we are not in it, we are truly lost ..

Think it's going to happen.

The British clubs will be out front and centre denying they are joining, however you know behind the scenes they are talking to each other and waiting for the perfect time

The PL won't stop them, what are they going to do? Kick out United/Liverpool/Arsenal, the three biggest sponsorship and fan draws?

Add Spurs/Chelsea/City/Saudi Sportswashing Machine you are looking at a glorified championship.

fudge it. How about this as an alternative if we are to ignore UEFA, sporting and social considerations purely for our own benefit.

Bin off Europe. Expand the EPL to 42 teams.

Televise games midweek.

Take all the money and buy all the players.

Game over.

We don’t need Europe.

The problem is the lack of real conversation around this proposal

- Sky/BT/FA/UEFA are on a constant PR offensive trying to protect their investments and lack of investment in any ESL model. And most fans are just bleating out exactly what is being fed to them.
- You can go dig through my old posts on this, I said from day 1, this brick would get thrown out of court, there is no fudging model where a business (UEFA/FIFA/FA) can tell other independent businesses (clubs) who they can do business with. Lots of people disagreed, I'm an idiot, etc. I've worked in business where this kind of thing is constantly scrutinized.
- Biggest tell on this is the clubs that actually opposed it

As for Spurs fans, really don't fudging understand it
- ESL would have paid for a large percentage of our stadium (infrastructure investment is part of it), what did the FA do for us again? oh yes, London gave West Ham a free stadium and Manchester gave City a free stadium and we got fudge all (seems so unfair this ESL thing compared to what we get now)
- Consistent revenue streams, not the fudging yo-yo of no Europe/Europa/CL fudging with the ability of the club to plan multiple years in advance
- Limits on spend/wages so you have no City/PSG type scenario, how many trophies do you think Spurs would have won in the last 20 years if not for City/Chelsea? and again, what is the alternative, what is the FA doing? oh yes, deducting points from Everton while City's decade long investigation continues with no end in sight?
- Everyone is still in the PL, what really fudging changes other than you swap one cup competition for another? it will actually give some competitions to smaller teams to actually have a shot at winning something/anything
- FIFA/UEFA/FA aren't changing and aren't open to feedback, ESL has actually made some changes based on pushback, UEFA, oh right, the guy from PSG is in charge of FFP? literally wtf?

So what's the bitch?
- Some weird british guilt about being fair? the system is fudged right now, we are being fudged daily, if we get an opportunity to better our position we should turn it down because it "might" harm who? you think any of West Ham, Everton, Villa and their fans would think about us for a nano fudging second?

Reality, we all complain about playing some no name side in Europe, there is a market for top 6 in UK, top 4 in other leagues to be the competition. Now or later, some model will eventually land and if we are not in it, we are truly lost ..
And, somewhat predictably :

Club statement​

Thu 21 December 2023, 17:50|Tottenham Hotspur

Following today’s (Thursday, 21 December) ruling by the European Court of Justice (ECJ) regarding the European Super League (ESL), we should like to confirm that our position has not changed. We remain committed to the values of European football, and we will continue to work with fellow clubs through the ECA and participate in UEFA competitions.

Back