• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

The problem is the lack of real conversation around this proposal

- Sky/BT/FA/UEFA are on a constant PR offensive trying to protect their investments and lack of investment in any ESL model. And most fans are just bleating out exactly what is being fed to them.
- You can go dig through my old posts on this, I said from day 1, this brick would get thrown out of court, there is no fudging model where a business (UEFA/FIFA/FA) can tell other independent businesses (clubs) who they can do business with. Lots of people disagreed, I'm an idiot, etc. I've worked in business where this kind of thing is constantly scrutinized.
- Biggest tell on this is the clubs that actually opposed it

As for Spurs fans, really don't fudging understand it
- ESL would have paid for a large percentage of our stadium (infrastructure investment is part of it), what did the FA do for us again? oh yes, London gave West Ham a free stadium and Manchester gave City a free stadium and we got fudge all (seems so unfair this ESL thing compared to what we get now)
- Consistent revenue streams, not the fudging yo-yo of no Europe/Europa/CL fudging with the ability of the club to plan multiple years in advance
- Limits on spend/wages so you have no City/PSG type scenario, how many trophies do you think Spurs would have won in the last 20 years if not for City/Chelsea? and again, what is the alternative, what is the FA doing? oh yes, deducting points from Everton while City's decade long investigation continues with no end in sight?
- Everyone is still in the PL, what really fudging changes other than you swap one cup competition for another? it will actually give some competitions to smaller teams to actually have a shot at winning something/anything
- FIFA/UEFA/FA aren't changing and aren't open to feedback, ESL has actually made some changes based on pushback, UEFA, oh right, the guy from PSG is in charge of FFP? literally wtf?

So what's the bitch?
- Some weird british guilt about being fair? the system is fudged right now, we are being fudged daily, if we get an opportunity to better our position we should turn it down because it "might" harm who? you think any of West Ham, Everton, Villa and their fans would think about us for a nano fudging second?

Reality, we all complain about playing some no name side in Europe, there is a market for top 6 in UK, top 4 in other leagues to be the competition. Now or later, some model will eventually land and if we are not in it, we are truly lost ..
Exactly this.

The only area I differ is financially there is no gain for PL teams. They hold an engrained financial advantage over European teams and within that advantage, City Chelsea and United hold an additional advantage over their country peers. Why facilitate levelling that playing field by making everyone rich?.

Besides that, The UEFA moral and heritage arguments are just laughable.

The problem is the lack of real conversation around this proposal

- Sky/BT/FA/UEFA are on a constant PR offensive trying to protect their investments and lack of investment in any ESL model. And most fans are just bleating out exactly what is being fed to them.
- You can go dig through my old posts on this, I said from day 1, this brick would get thrown out of court, there is no fudging model where a business (UEFA/FIFA/FA) can tell other independent businesses (clubs) who they can do business with. Lots of people disagreed, I'm an idiot, etc. I've worked in business where this kind of thing is constantly scrutinized.
- Biggest tell on this is the clubs that actually opposed it

As for Spurs fans, really don't fudging understand it
- ESL would have paid for a large percentage of our stadium (infrastructure investment is part of it), what did the FA do for us again? oh yes, London gave West Ham a free stadium and Manchester gave City a free stadium and we got fudge all (seems so unfair this ESL thing compared to what we get now)
- Consistent revenue streams, not the fudging yo-yo of no Europe/Europa/CL fudging with the ability of the club to plan multiple years in advance
- Limits on spend/wages so you have no City/PSG type scenario, how many trophies do you think Spurs would have won in the last 20 years if not for City/Chelsea? and again, what is the alternative, what is the FA doing? oh yes, deducting points from Everton while City's decade long investigation continues with no end in sight?
- Everyone is still in the PL, what really fudging changes other than you swap one cup competition for another? it will actually give some competitions to smaller teams to actually have a shot at winning something/anything
- FIFA/UEFA/FA aren't changing and aren't open to feedback, ESL has actually made some changes based on pushback, UEFA, oh right, the guy from PSG is in charge of FFP? literally wtf?

So what's the bitch?
- Some weird british guilt about being fair? the system is fudged right now, we are being fudged daily, if we get an opportunity to better our position we should turn it down because it "might" harm who? you think any of West Ham, Everton, Villa and their fans would think about us for a nano fudging second?

Reality, we all complain about playing some no name side in Europe, there is a market for top 6 in UK, top 4 in other leagues to be the competition. Now or later, some model will eventually land and if we are not in it, we are truly lost ..
You ever read animal farm?
Some are more “equal” than others
They have already leaked that by not leaving the league that isn’t happening Madrid and Barca would get €1B
The prem teams would be fined €300m
It’s a clamour for broken businesses to make money they haven’t earned because at one point they were richer than others… but now aren’t

It stinks (imo) the thing any of those clubs who want it is MORE money. Football stinks and i say that as someone who has played, worked and supported for over 60 years.

Been that way for more than 60 years to be fair.

Where we are now is the inevitable result of professionalism and the removal of the maximum wage.

It’s the oniy way they will be able to compete against the prem
When brick teams here can out spend much much bigger sides it does skew things
And, as I said, why PL teams should not be interested. The playing field is in their favour...why level it out?

It starts with the governors of the game having robust financial rules to keep everyone on an even keel. BUT that should have started years ago. And if they had, we probably wouldn't be in this situation.

So much emotion and hot air on this kind of topic.
If an English club want to explore this then good luck. Why shouldn't they? Emirates Marketing Project plays in the World Club thingy, which is being expanded, so club football is going this way. If an English club was happy to risk being ejected from its own league, in order to play in an alternative Champions League/ Euro league or Saudi league, that's up to them. Of course they'd have to brave the wrath of the fans and the media but that's up to the owners.

In fact, thinking about it, I think the Woolwich nomads (or even West Ham) would be better off playing in an alternative league, maybe the Rwanda league might be a good place for them.

and just how does an independent regulator stop businesses exploring new markets?

The government refuses to give them a licence to play games in this country. It was in their white paper.

They can only play in competitions approved by the fa or prem. Doesn't mean they can't play in a super league. Just they need approval.

The government refuses to give them a licence to play games in this country. It was in their white paper.

They can only play in competitions approved by the fa or prem. Doesn't mean they can't play in a super league. Just they need approval.

Can you see the government applying that policy to any other kind of UK business?

Been that way for more than 60 years to be fair.

Where we are now is the inevitable result of professionalism and the removal of the maximum wage.

I disagree. Of course money has alwarys reared its ugly head. I suppose its fine for those couch potatoes who watch most of the game on the box.

Back