• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

I struggle to see what Tottenham would gain from any ESL because they'd be competing with even more money-doped clubs, meaning they'd likely have even less chance of winning a trophy and could find themselves regularly battllng just to finish in the top half of the table.

From a football point of view not a lot. However I guess Daniel/Joe had to get onboard to protect their asset. If it had gone ahead and been a success then suddenly THFC would be worth less and in the long run revenues might decline as TV money is diverted to ESL rather than PL.

From a football point of view not a lot. However I guess Daniel/Joe had to get onboard to protect their asset. If it had gone ahead and been a success then suddenly THFC would be worth less and in the long run revenues might decline as TV money is diverted to ESL rather than PL.

Exactly, I don't like the idea but it's arguable that it's one of Levys tasks to make sure we are at the top table whenever we have to be both financially and commercially. Would be the wrong move not being involved should this happen

Not a chance in hell we’d finish in the top half of the table
Maybe, maybe not, but that's not the reason we had to be in it. If we hadn't then we'd never be able to compete against the premier league teams that were in it due to the huge increase in revenue they'd have got.

EU court ruling today that FIFA and UEFA can't punish clubs for establishing a super league. Time for a title change?

Personally I find the whole thing distasteful, it's just about money but see why clubs will want to be in it as TV will be all over it and national games will be put in the background. Teams not in it will be feeder clubs for the big boys. UEFA have only themselves to blame for this by laying down a template with their "Big Boys League" and their 2 also ran completions. Everyone must now be in Europe. Wouldn't bother me if we weren't in it, I think football now is a million miles away from the game I loved.

IF there is some higher-level-league, with all the 'top' teams being fed billions of pounds, Spurs need to be in it.
Regardless of tradition or morals, we need to get the billions or we'll end up like Reading FC.

Novelty will wear off, our fans hate the CL apparently so not sure what to be gained

I jest but its going to fracture football, fans will be torn between tradition and also remaining significant
The competitive integrity of it disappeared when they introduced rankings for draws, group stages and CL drop-outs into EL. This is no worse really than that.

The domestic competitions will always be the important ones. This is just something a bit frivolous for midweek. So we might as well take out of it what we can.

This was always going to be the ruling, the way Uefa/FIFA blocked it was anti-competitive. Doesn’t mean they can’t block it in other ways. To play in your domestic league or a UEFA competition you surely have to sign up to an agreed set of rules. I guess one can be if you want to join a new competition then you have to resign from this one first etc…

The competitive integrity of it disappeared when they introduced rankings for draws, group stages and CL drop-outs into EL. This is no worse really than that.

The domestic competitions will always be the important ones. This is just something a bit frivolous for midweek. So we might as well take out of it what we can.

The people paying for it will not see it as a frivolous thing and will ensure it's the major event for the millions of real fans sitting on their arses drinking Coca Cola or Coors with their takeaway delivered to their door.

This was always going to be the ruling, the way Uefa/FIFA blocked it was anti-competitive. Doesn’t mean they can’t block it in other ways. To play in your domestic league or a UEFA competition you surely have to sign up to an agreed set of rules. I guess one can be if you want to join a new competition then you have to resign from this one first etc…
Isn't the whole idea to replace UEFA anyway? So being banned from CL for leaving CL to go to a rival/replacement competition isn't much of a threat.

New format announced. 16 teams in the top league, 16 in the 2nd and 32 in the 3rd level. 2 teams relegated from each of the top two levels each year. 20 teams exit the bottom level each season. Basically your Barca/Reals etc… will have to finish bottom of a league of 8 to lose out on being in the elite.

I just don't see how this is possible with the current fixture congestion and amount of player injuries.. It's just greed upon greed, players are not robots. Will squads have to double in size? Who pays for that? It's madness. Pure desperation - particulary from the financially struggling Spanish big two. An attempt to squeeze a bit more cash out of an already dying sport.

The people paying for it will not see it as a frivolous thing and will ensure it's the major event for the millions of real fans sitting on their arses drinking Coca Cola or Coors with their takeaway delivered to their door.
Yep there will he pressures based on image rights and the higher paymasters. The PL will be weaker for it IMO

I just don't see how this is possible with the current fixture congestion and amount of player injuries.. It's just greed upon greed, players are not robots. Will squads have to double in size? Who pays for that? It's madness. Pure desperation - particulary from the financially struggling Spanish big two. An attempt to squeeze a bit more cash out of an already dying sport.
Well it replaces the current European competition. Currently if you play in the group stage and win it then you play 13 games. With this format that is proposed I guess it would be 19 games. If you take the 3rd qualifying and play-off legs from the current champs league then that gets you up to 17 game weeks. Which is actually what the Chanps league is next season from the group stage onwards.

Well it replaces the current European competition. Currently if you play in the group stage and win it then you play 13 games. With this format that is proposed I guess it would be 19 games. If you take the 3rd qualifying and play-off legs from the current champs league then that gets you up to 17 game weeks. Which is actually what the Chanps league is next season from the group stage onwards.

Who says it replaces current European competition? I thought it was pitched as a totally separate competition from anything that exists currently?

Who says it replaces current European competition? I thought it was pitched as a totally separate competition from anything that exists currently?
Not explicitly been said but very much sounds like it going by the latest video that explains format. Talks about playing alongside domestic league.

Next season from the 20th August to the final there are 19 game weeks for the Champions League. So would make sense to replace them.

Back