• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Encounters and Real Life Experiences with Spurs (and other players)

Met Ray Wilkins at a football course, really nice guy and know's his stuff when it comes to football. Told us a few stories from back when he was playing / managing, could listen to his stories all night.

Also saw Andy Carroll at the 02 in the V.i.P section, apparently with a few other pool players and some City players but didn't see them. The security guy i knew pointed him out and he walked past us going to the bog. On way back asked him for a photo as my brother is a Liverpool fan, told us he doesn't do pictures and walked off as if we were scum. Called him a clam which i don't think he was impressed with but fudge him, only takes 2 minutes to have a photo or atleast sign an autograph.

Last edited:
Met Ray Wilkins at a football course, really nice guy and know's his stuff when it comes to football. Told us a few stories from back when he was playing / managing, could listen to his stories all night.

Did he by any chance discuss with you how fundamentally important it is to 'stay on your feet'?

Also saw Andy Carroll at the 02 in the V.i.P section, apparently with a few other pool players and some City players but didn't see them. The security guy i knew pointed him out and he walked past us going to the bog. On way back asked him for a photo as my brother is a Liverpool fan, told us he doesn't do pictures and walked off as if we were scum. Called him a clam which i don't think he was impressed with but fudge him, only takes 2 minutes to have a photo or atleast sign an autograph.

I can understand that tbh, id hate to be in the limelight and have to put up with people asking for my photo all the time - kids would be an exception though of course (as would hot women). Seen plenty of famous people out and about and not once have i thought about approaching them, let them get on with lives ffs

I can understand that tbh, id hate to be in the limelight and have to put up with people asking for my photo all the time - kids would be an exception though of course (as would hot women). Seen plenty of famous people out and about and not once have i thought about approaching them, let them get on with lives ffs

image.jpg

I think the opposite. Footballers make a fantastic living off the back of the fans support so they should be willing to pose for a photo or sign autographs when asked. It'll only take them 5-10 seconds.

I brought a kids football team to see a premiership match last season, Stove vs Hull (GHod awful match), and for many it was their first experience of the prem league. At the end of the match they lined up close to tunnel to get autographs along with about five or six other kids teams who were there on the day too. There was about 100 kids or more all told all lined up waiting for autographs. Crouch came over and signed a couple and ran off down the tunnel. Begovic did a bunch. Walters and Whelan went the whole way down the line and signed and posed for a photo and signed an autograph for every single kid. It must have taken them half an hour at least. The head steward was behind Whelan and kept saying "thats it, thats the last one." Whelan ignored him for a while but he wouldn't let up. About halfway down the line he turned around to the steward and said "will you ever just fudge off" and that shut him up. Funny as fudge. Well done to those two players. They went way up in my estimation after that. The kids were buzzing and it turned a rather dour match into something unforgettable for them all.

I think the opposite. Footballers make a fantastic living off the back of the fans support so they should be willing to pose for a photo or sign autographs when asked. It'll only take them 5-10 seconds.

I brought a kids football team to see a premiership match last season, Stove vs Hull (GHod awful match), and for many it was their first experience of the prem league. At the end of the match they lined up close to tunnel to get autographs along with about five or six other kids teams who were there on the day too. There was about 100 kids or more all told all lined up waiting for autographs. Crouch came over and signed a couple and ran off down the tunnel. Begovic did a bunch. Walters and Whelan went the whole way down the line and signed and posed for a photo and signed an autograph for every single kid. It must have taken them half an hour at least. The head steward was behind Whelan and kept saying "thats it, thats the last one." Whelan ignored him for a while but he wouldn't let up. About halfway down the line he turned around to the steward and said "will you ever just fudge off" and that shut him up. Funny as fudge. Well done to those two players. They went way up in my estimation after that. The kids were buzzing and it turned a rather dour match into something unforgettable for them all.

like i said they should be happy to pose for photos with kids and, to add, of course when involved with team activities the same applies - but they're people too and when on their own time i don't see why they should be expected to be happy about being pestered for photos from grown adults who, in my opinion, should know enough to respect their space and leave them alone.

just my two cents..

like i said they should be happy to pose for photos with kids and, to add, of course when involved with team activities the same applies - but they're people too and when on their own time i don't see why they should be expected to be happy about being pestered for photos from grown adults who, in my opinion, should know enough to respect their space and leave them alone.

just my two cents..

I agree. I think that it is seriously uncool to hassle people on their own time and expect them to be pleased about it.

Sounds like the way a Canadian can have any sort of interaction with Spurs players is to hit Vegas in the off season. NHL players - know a few old ones and see current ones all the time - most of them are just regular guys.

just my two cents..
I agree entirely. The only footballer I had regular conversations with was Schweinsteiger, and that was simply because I was working as a waiter at his local hang out. Likewise, I used to be a musician and met many famous musicians on tour and backstage at gigs i was playing; it would have never crossed my mind however to approach someone my path wasn't crossing in some personal sense.

Surely we, as adults, can see there is a line there. I'm surprised that adults would want their photos taken with strangers thb. Isn't hero worshipping and being blown away by celebrity for kids?

it's a tough one. I think with kids, yes, great. But these days, so many people stitch celebs up with candids that their guards are up in many cases. How hard would it be for some malicious person to photo-shop some ugliness into an 'innocent' photo with a celeb? Been done many times. I see both sides. What I WOULD say is that said-celeb can take 20 seconds to politely say 'sorry boys don't do photos but happy to shake hands' or something like that...the classy ones do that already!

I agree entirely. The only footballer I had regular conversations with was Schweinsteiger, and that was simply because I was working as a waiter at his local hang out. Likewise, I used to be a musician and met many famous musicians on tour and backstage at gigs i was playing; it would have never crossed my mind however to approach someone my path wasn't crossing in some personal sense.

Surely we, as adults, can see there is a line there. I'm surprised that adults would want their photos taken with strangers thb. Isn't hero worshipping and being blown away by celebrity for kids?

On the money. met many players over the years but photos only from well over a decade ago (and even then specific circumstances)...not interested in talking to modern footballers. I am at least twice their age mostly. I'd rather appreciate their talent and not have any ideals smashed. it's like the badge-kissing; I am not idiot, I know that the vast vast majority of badger-kissers do not give a toss, but that is fine, in the theatre we all adore, I appreciate the effort made and the time taken to give me the performance!!!!!!

just my two cents..

Just read this after my post and agree wholeheartedly.

Depends on the situation surely?!?!?

At or around a football event they should do everything they can

On their own time they should be polite but do what suits then and their circumstances

I remember a long while ago I was in the living Room in Mnachetser when it was the place to go. A bouncer came over and said that we had to move as. United were coming in. I thought ok and went to the loo. My mate (I was his customer) who is a bold as brass Manc salesmen called a few lads he knows and low and behold when I got back I had a signature from David Beckham saying sorry for any inconvenience... I gave it go the landlord of his out but even then they realised that the expectation around them was a pain for them but also for others

Most players I've met have been sound and polite. Some clearly don't want to go out of their way but none have been rude other that a certain Edward Sheringham and bizarrely Terry Venables (but that was in the loo, on his tow phones the day he was supposed to be the new Eire manager and he was in Langhams with Piers Morgan)

On the money. met many players over the years but photos only from well over a decade ago (and even then specific circumstances)...not interested in talking to modern footballers. I am at least twice their age mostly. I'd rather appreciate their talent and not have any ideals smashed. it's like the badge-kissing; I am not idiot, I know that the vast vast majority of badger-kissers do not give a toss, but that is fine, in the theatre we all adore, I appreciate the effort made and the time taken to give me the performance!!!!!!

:D

When I was 16 I was full time pro with Falkirk fc. During that time I was also Tony parks boot cleaner. Can always remember walking in to training with my new spurs top on and hanging it up on the peg. Tony took it down from there and held it out from shoulder to shoulder infront of him and gave it a good inspection. He told me he loved it and you could tell how much he loved the club by the way he looked at the top. He puts it back and patted me on the back. Funny guy was parksy. Also remember a time when the first team were ordered to do a double session after the manager said that they had not worked hard enough In the morning. The whole first team reported to the session with their casual clothes on. Tony had a pair of timberland sand coloured boots on, pair of jeans and a bit black wool jacket on which he took off and put tape on to make the number 1 on the back. Needless to say the manager nearly had a heart attack when he seen them. Top bloke

Uncle used to take me years ago when I as a kid, one match in particular was the 6-2 demolition of Wimbledon. We went to a pretty stossy hotel early on in the day for lunch, he had a pretty big grin on his face all day, then I realised it was because the whole Spurs team were there for prep and I got to meet every single one of them, Klinnsman, Ginola, etc, all took time to have pics, sign autographs, RSol was having a pic with a kid, the dad had a problem with the camera and asked Sol for 2 secs and he walked off in a strop.

Used to work on the lottery and ciggy counter at Sainsbury's in Loughton so used to get a lot of the players in there. Defoe a few times, always friendly and chatty (always with a fit bird n' all), Pamarot once buying a bag of frozen peas in a hurry as his missus was waiting for him outside. Best was probably Berba, him and his missus came in, both dressed head to toe in black, he looked so f*cking cool, he bought some fags and I said "what?!" though he found the funny side of it.

Stopped and let Zokora cross the road once too, noticed it was him so started singing the DOO DOO DOOO song with the horn and he joined in with a little dance.

I went to school with Tommy Smith (ex-Watford, QPR, Derby, etc), his brother who also played at Watford before moving to Millwall and Ronnie Henry (Spurs, Luton, Stevenage) were a couple of years younger and as part of my PE A-Level I had to help with their PE lessons.

Growing up in Hemel Hempstead there were numerous footballers that lived in the local area and you'd regularly bump in to them. Darren Anderton was my brothers favourite player and one afternoon after school he decided to go and knock on his door to get an autograph, DA was very accommodating and invited us in while he got out posters of himself and signed a couple for us.

John Barnes lived locally and his kids went to the same junior school as my brother so I saw him a few times at events there and always came across as a nice guy.

Dean Austin, is also from Hemel and his Dad had a barbers in the part of town I grew up.

Vinnie Jones was a partner in the pub that I worked at from 17-19, he was in there all the time and invited plenty of footballers down for drinks. Part of his regualr drinking crowd were John Hartson and Tony Thorpe, as well as Steve Collins the boxer. This was the time that he did Lock Stock and they conducted the first interviews for the film in the back room of the pub, so we had the likes of Guy Ritchie and stars of the film come in too. As the bar manager, myself and the rest of the team of regular staff were invited to the premiere of the film. Vinnie Jones was also coach at QPR at this time and he supplied our pub football team with QPR kits to use. Although Vinnie has always received a lot of bad press about being the hard man (and a lot of this is justified, there were a few moments after a few too many glasses of red wine and the card game getting a bit heated...) but I've never seen a more generous man, he would never see someone go short and he did huge amounts of work for charity. Kenny Samson, Joe Kinnear, Dave Bassett, John Fashanu and I think there may have a been plenty of others but I can't think who at the moment.

Last weekend I briefly met Rio Ferdinand at Glastonbury in the hospitality area, and he came across as a decent guy in the short time we spoke. I met Dion Dublin at Reading festival a few years ago as a band he was managing were playing on the BBC Introducing... stage.

I met Stuart Pearce at The Libertines gig in Hyde Park last summer and then a few weeks later we put on Palma Violets Reading Festival warm-up show in Hitchin and Stuart Pearce turned up at that, the show was sold out and his PA had failed to contact us to request guest list. My guest list team didn't recognise him (muso's!), but having seen him enter the building I sorted it out so he could get in and had a good chat with him buying me a couple of drinks, and at the end of the night him and his friend came and found me before leaving to say thanks for sorting everything and if I wanted tickets to a game to get in touch with the club and he'd sort it, which I didn't take him up on!

I filmed a football coaching video with Marc Overmars when I was about 17 at Arsenal's London Colney training ground, and met the majority of the first team, including Wenger. The majority of us filming the video are Spurs fans and a few cheeky comments were made, but all was taken in the right way.

David Seaman lived in the same village as my Mum near Kings Langley and I'd see him in the local shop quite often and was always very nice to chat with.

Last night a certain radio presenter on Talksport held their wedding reception at the venue I book and a few footballers attended, the bar manager and owner are both Arsenal fans and were delighted to get pictures taken with Ray Parlour and was a really pleasant guy. Although his choice of drinks could be improved (Fosters).

Most recent encounter with a Spurs player I've had was just after we won the NLD in 2013 - had hung around in the stadium and the Paxton was emptying out, then who walks past me but Sandro! He was limping slightly as he was out injured at the time, and was wearing a hood to keep a low profile, but I recognised him straight away and called his name - he just went "HELLO MY FRIEND", shook my hand and hugged me as he walked past. Was great to see him hanging around with the Spurs fans in the North Stand instead of just sitting in a box somewhere (or not going to games at all when injured). Capped off a great day!

Met Anthony Gardner and Jermaine Pennant together once, outside a bar when Arsenal Vs Chelsea was on (when Essien scored that ridiculous curling goal in the last minute). Asked for a photo with Gardner, he said ok but to hurry up because it was gonna rain soon!

I also saw Jose Antonio Reyes once in John Lewis in Brent Cross - literally with his parents looking at toys. Was so random. He'd only just joined Arsenal and didn't really speak much English.

And when I was a kid I was lucky enough to meet Gary Lineker, who talked to me properly and signed some autographs. A true gent as you'd expect.

Back