• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: So what has gone wrong with adebayor?

haha. Probably isn't true/has been blown out of proportion though

We complain a lot about FIFA, UEFA and various football associations for countries in Europe, but the way some of these African football associations are being run is just farcical. Obviously I don't know this situation in detail, more of a general observation.

I think if Ade does come back, psychologically he won't be right. He'll feel like he has unfinished business and even though he will work hard for us, I reckon he might not get into a good state of mind. Annoying for us!

Ade not going to the ACN is a good thing for us.

I'm so confused.

So now he's not going?

Just make up your mind damnit!

I think we should wait for the starting 11 + subs graphic on TV just to be sure

Wouldn't trust that... We have to wait for the kick off to see if he's on the pitch or not...

Completely O/T, but heard this story on telly the other day about Mark Hughes:

On 11 November 1987 he played two competitive matches in one day: firstly he played for Wales against Czechoslovakia in Prague in a Euro 88 qualifier, and he was then driven across the border into Germany to come on as a substitute for Bayern in their 2nd round cup replay victory over Borussia Mönchengladbach.[4] (Wiki).

I think we should wait for the starting 11 + subs graphic on TV just to be sure

Even then maybe they'll use the wrong photo and he'll be off... :)

Being serious for a sec, he's just trying to use his status to raise the standards / organization of the Togo national team - no bad thing IMO. I'm sure we knew he was going all along as his refusal before was just part of this.

Emmanuel Adebayor is set to refuse to play in the Africa Cup of Nations after a fresh bust-up with the Togolese Football Federation.
The Tottenham striker was fully expected to play in South Africa - but Sportsmail has learned that another row with his country's football chiefs looks set to keep him out of the squad.
It is unclear what has sparked the latest disagreement, but the Spurs striker had initially decided against playing in the tournament due to rows over bonus payments and security issues.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...t-MISS-Africa-Cup-Nations-fresh-Togo-row.html

After the Angola trip i can see why that would be an issue for him.

Emmanuel Adebayor is set to refuse to play in the Africa Cup of Nations after a fresh bust-up with the Togolese Football Federation.
The Tottenham striker was fully expected to play in South Africa - but Sportsmail has learned that another row with his country's football chiefs looks set to keep him out of the squad.
It is unclear what has sparked the latest disagreement, but the Spurs striker had initially decided against playing in the tournament due to rows over bonus payments and security issues.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...t-MISS-Africa-Cup-Nations-fresh-Togo-row.html

After the Angola trip i can see why that would be an issue for him.
Yep agreed on that. After you've experienced being shot at and witnessing your friends die from the shootings i can understand why he has reservations.

How good does he think he is that he can just mug people off like this?

In the bigger picture, is there a reason why this complete non event of a tournament has to be held every two years? And during the middle of the European season just to be even more inconvenient?

In the bigger picture, is there a reason why this complete non event of a tournament has to be held every two years? And during the middle of the European season just to be even more inconvenient?

Firstly, it isn't a non-event to the Africans who pack the stadiums in their tens of thousands to watch their national teams play.

Secondly, it has to be held every two years because of financial reasons, i.e not enough global interest to allow them to hold it once every four years like UEFA does with the Euros. Plus it has to be held at a time when neither the World Cup nor the Euros are on, to maximise what little TV revenues it recieves, so they often have to choose strange years to hold it in.

Thirdly, it is in the middle of the European season because the June/July period when the other tournaments are held is traditionally the rainy season in Africa. When you add roaring rain to the creaky infrastructure across large parts of the continent, what you get is a muddy logistical and safety nightmare, which would disqualify several otherwise eligible nations from hosting the tournament. (i.e, most of the equatorial African countries).

How much do you know about the situation? Why do you think he's just mugging people off?

Maybe it's just a difficult situation for him and he's trying to make the best out of it.

As for the ACN stuff, I second Dubai's response.

How much do you know about the situation? Why do you think he's just mugging people off?

Maybe it's just a difficult situation for him and he's trying to make the best out of it.

As for the ACN stuff, I second Dubai's response.

When we signed him, I always assumed he would go to the ACN and had no problem with it. But make your mind up one way or the other.

I haven't even mentioned the quotes about AVB that were poor and ill advised.

Does anyone outside of Africa care about the tournament?

When we signed him, I always assumed he would go to the ACN and had no problem with it. But make your mind up one way or the other.

He made his mind up, he was going. But then seemingly something happened by the reports and now we don't know if he's going. What happened? We don't know that either. Why then blame Ade? How do you know it's his fault? Isn't it just as likely that the Togolese FA are to blame? Or maybe even more likely...

Well, now you have mentioned those quotes. Not really sure what that brings to this discussion.

I normally watch some games during the ACN if I have the time for it. Some decent games at times. I do think more and more people are seeing that it can be an entertaining tournament to follow.

Even if no one else cared, why shouldn't they have the right to a continental international tournament?

He made his mind up, he was going. But then seemingly something happened by the reports and now we don't know if he's going. What happened? We don't know that either. Why then blame Ade? How do you know it's his fault? Isn't it just as likely that the Togolese FA are to blame? Or maybe even more likely...

Well, now you have mentioned those quotes. Not really sure what that brings to this discussion.

I normally watch some games during the ACN if I have the time for it. Some decent games at times. I do think more and more people are seeing that it can be an entertaining tournament to follow.

Even if no one else cared, why shouldn't they have the right to a continental international tournament?

I never said they shouldn't have a right to have a tournament, just not every two years. They are always going to struggle to get people to watch it when most football fans (the fans outside of Africa anyway) are focusing on their own teams/leagues.

Why does it matter if people outside of Africa care about the tournament? It is called the African Cup of Nations for a reason.

BABrFLICAAEQUOn.jpg:large

Sorry if abp.

I never said they shouldn't have a right to have a tournament, just not every two years. They are always going to struggle to get people to watch it when most football fans (the fans outside of Africa anyway) are focusing on their own teams/leagues.

Dubai already answered why they have to have it while the European leagues are running. And why they have it every two years - financial reasons pretty much.

Only 5 nations from Africa qualify for the World Cup. Having a tournament every two years is also a good way to help develop African football. Give players international competitive experience. Of course this also puts them in the shop window for European clubs.

BABrFLICAAEQUOn.jpg:large

Sorry if abp.

Not this flimflam stat again.
6 of those 13 games he didnt even complete 45 minutes. They were more without Ade than with him.

If you wanted to you could interpret the stats as
Code:
      45 mins / 45mins
       with   /  without
Played 	14	7
Won     8	4
Drew	2	1
Lost	4	2
Pts/gam 1.85	1.85
Win %   57%	57%

Last edited:
Back