• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

No, you’ve been clear. You think I am trying to claim some moral high-ground, that I am sitting atop a large steed looking down at anyone grumbling about a performance and saying, “Ahoy, you there peasant, reel yourself in and behave with nothing but company line cheer and bonhomie!’…well, something like that anyway (I might have slightly exaggerated, for effect only :D)…I have repeatedly explained this is not the case at all (anyone sitting near me knows my thoughts on Sess!).

I am not talking about ‘chipping away at players’ I am talking about hurling abuse at them. I will give you an example. In Nottingham two weeks ago, I was two rows away from someone who -when Dier came over to applaud the fans for going and seeing the brickshow- decided to double-down on his tedious stream of grumbling, up the volume considerably, and blame Dier for everything, from the result, to the season, to most likely global warming, all the while with liberal ‘f**king c**t’s thrown in. Despite the awful performance (and several grumbles about Sess), I was in quite a relaxed mood all told. When this absolute macaron decided to go nuclear, it was an affront. I did NOT support his ‘right to express’ himself mate, I supported MY right to call him out on it. Who knows? Maybe he was having a bad day. Perhaps he’d suffered some horrible news. Perhaps he was amidst some terrible stuff. We all have a story, I don’t think many of us don’t have some serious things going on in our lives. It doesn’t give people the right to hurl that sort of vile abuse at anyone, let alone players, who aren’t doing anything to deserve it. Same goes for racists or homophobes. These plankton need to be stood up to. Always. In my opinion. If nothing else, I don’t want to have to hear their loud, incessant brick in my ears at matches! Like people who insist on talking on their phones in movies, or people hold loud phone conversations on packed public transport, or drunks getting in your face, these are all things that I personally don’t want to deal with. I don’t believe I am alone. I feel sure you agree with me!

BTW, I did note your Kafka-esque take in another post, and want to make it very clear that I am firmly on your side of the fence, I am not interested in a sterile matchday becoming a mandated condition.

As @braineclipse mentioned, any time we make a judgement it could be seen as doing it in a morally superior way and some of my choices in terms of phrases could be seen as a bit antagonistic so my bad on that front, no excuse but things in real life are probably spilling on to here so I will try to reign it in a bit!

It makes absolute sense that you wouldn't want to see that real visceral hatred at the game, I am the same but outside of blatant instances like when it crosses over to hate speech everyone has their own idea of what's acceptable ie Not to open another can of worms but even if nothing explicitly racist was said I'd say the hatred shown to Rudiger was a bit much, and many people may disagree with that.

I'm absolutely with you on the drunks (apart from when I've been drinking as I'm a great drunk ;)) / loud people on trains, without my noise cancelling headphones I'd have got in a lot more altercations than I have done because I need that separation from all that ugliness..

Thanks for that, always enjoyed debates with yourself so always nice to have this platform to do so.

The only part I take exception to, because I have been clear that abuse is the line I don't agree with and never have. Where I say they have to be stronger mentally is the moan and groans of the odd miss placed pass or the odd 4/10 rating in in the paper or on a forum they read if they have been poor. Players are far too soft on criticism, they don't like it, no one does, but the money element in the game, the fact its much more professional mean there is more critique of the game and if they have been poor I don't feel sorry for a player if someone calls it. That doesn't mean I agree with a fan standing 10 yards away calling them they are brick3

Ultimately players should be held to a high standard of performance based on what they are paid, that doesn't mean abuse

Fair enough mate, agree on being held to a standard (very important) and agreed, always good we can discuss/debate.

As @braineclipse mentioned, any time we make a judgement it could be seen as doing it in a morally superior way and some of my choices in terms of phrases could be seen as a bit antagonistic so my bad on that front, no excuse but things in real life are probably spilling on to here so I will try to reign it in a bit!

It makes absolute sense that you wouldn't want to see that real visceral hatred at the game, I am the same but outside of blatant instances like when it crosses over to hate speech everyone has their own idea of what's acceptable ie Not to open another can of worms but even if nothing explicitly racist was said I'd say the hatred shown to Rudiger was a bit much, and many people may disagree with that.

I'm absolutely with you on the drunks (apart from when I've been drinking as I'm a great drunk ;)) / loud people on trains, without my noise cancelling headphones I'd have got in a lot more altercations than I have done because I need that separation from all that ugliness..

I think we are actually in total agreement on everything TBH!!!!!

I think we are actually in total agreement on everything TBH!!!!!

I do like that thought however I'm not sure I even agree with myself at the minute! Probably due a trip to a certain thread in random as it's all a bit (?) at the minute.

Currently I'd be giving as good as anyone gave to Royal, back to them as the main thing on the forefront of my mind is that the guy is trying his absolute best..

Better with him in the side weren't we.

If he had put in Sess performance today, the hatred would have been on full display.

Both Sess/Doherty showed why Conte's often goes back to Emerson (who isn't good enough), his positional discipline is way better than those two.

If he had put in Sess performance today, the hatred would have been on full display.

Both Sess/Doherty showed why Conte's often goes back to Emerson (who isn't good enough), his positional discipline is way better than those two.

Playing Sess in a major game over a player who has maybe 1 or 2 years left at top who is class is on Conte though...why sign Perisic and not play in big games???

As for Emerson, he isnt the answer regardless TBH

Doherty was fine today, better than anything Royal would've given

Nope, go watch the game a few times, there were moments where Doherty sat too deep, wasn't making himself open (required for this system to work)

Not saying Emerson would have done anything with it, but Doherty didn't do fine today ..

Playing Sess in a major game over a player who has maybe 1 or 2 years left at top who is class is on Conte though...why sign Perisic and not play in big games???

As for Emerson, he isnt the answer regardless TBH

Agreed re Emerson

So had the exact same thought as you re Perisic over Sess, however I think Conte tried to jump them using Sess pace, and the opening moves (twice in first 10 minutes) put Sess in a position to run into open space and swing a ball in where Son & Kane were 2 on 2, he didn't, could easily have been 1-0/2-0 and the choice would make sense.

Agreed re Emerson

So had the exact same thought as you re Perisic over Sess, however I think Conte tried to jump them using Sess pace, and the opening moves (twice in first 10 minutes) put Sess in a position to run into open space and swing a ball in where Son & Kane were 2 on 2, he didn't, could easily have been 1-0/2-0 and the choice would make sense.

Yeh and TBF maybe being harsh because at Sess had a chance to make it 2-1 early second half...

Exactly and I am not being harsh but when do you eventually accept they won't grab the chances???? I want him and Tanga to do it but they dont....We cant wait till they are 25 to accept it
Sess has played well and played poorly
We didn’t lose because of him and he was more of threat going forward than his man in front of him

Sess has played well and played poorly
We didn’t lose because of him and he was more of threat going forward than his man in front of him

Not saying we did at all but on a Sess thread we need to judge him alone and he is not the answer long term...in my opinion

I have defended him before and said he needs care but I am a real beliver in grabbing your chance as a player....he has never done that

Not saying we did at all but on a Sess thread we need to judge him alone and he is not the answer long term...in my opinion

I have defended him before and said he needs care but I am a real beliver in grabbing your chance as a player....he has never done that
He did last season
It’s why we binned off a player who I thought was perfect for the role in Reggie. But last season is quickly forgotten
He isn’t a bad player, but he isn’t a brave player and is playing scared
His run and shot were Catullus really good play and a great save. Perisic doesn’t do those runs for comparison as it’s not his game

Back