• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

Played well and MOTM tonight

Still think he's an RB rather than a RWB though! His long-term future therefore more depends on who the manager is - if Conte is replaced by a back 4 manager he could have a very long career at Spurs. Harder to see with a back 3 manager

But either way, was very good tonight

Credit where it's due, a very solid performance. Much better defensively than going forward, just a shame he has to play wing back.

Emerson plays his best football for us when he is defending as he did yesterday, because he is a natural defensive right back and not an attacking wingback.

Last edited:
Did well. He looks more comfortable in possession, better at buildup and combination play. Still far from excellent at it, but has taken good steps over the last year.

Kulusevski being back helps massively. Royal running down the touchline having to create by dribbling or crossing is not going to be a good thing. But give him freedom to underlap and someone to combine with and he's definitely improving.

Still think a different option at RWB could do us a lot of good. But both Royal and Doherty are repaying the trust put in them by Conte.

Emerson plays his best football for is when he is defending as he did yesterday, because he is a natural defensive right back and not an attacking wingback.

Yes, so loan him out and sign a RWB and then if Conte leaves in teh summer and a back 4 manager comes in, get Royal back asap!

Agreed with all of the above. A lot better.
Caveat; I did not understand the Cruyff turn drag back thing on the half way line when he was our last defender.
He can do those skills in the right place, please.

Played really well last night and seems to be getting the hang of playing the role. I have said before he is only 24 and playing in a role he has to adapt too. I believe he is working hard at doing so and its good to see.

Definitely good to see and impressive.

But also good to see that we're seemingly serious about bringing in a different option.

I think it is no coincidence many of his better performances come away from home because:

a) The onus is on the home side to attack, making his game of being a defender first easier, and also more space to run into when attacking than at home where teams sit back

b) Not having large sections of our ‘fans’ getting on his back constantly because he isn’t a winger with a great cross on him.

Agreed with all of the above. A lot better.
Caveat; I did not understand the Cruyff turn drag back thing on the half way line when he was our last defender.
He can do those skills in the right place, please.
can't take the samba out of the brazilian

I suspect that, if Conte stays, he stays. If (if, if, if) Porro ends up arriving, having two very different options might appeal to him, and Emerson, for all his atrocious, abysmal faults as a footballer, is a trier and someone who doesn't complain with his lot.

If Conte leaves, then I think Emerson's gone too, and Spence comes back in to be our backup RB/RWB come the summer.

i think emerson can do a job at rcb as well, he is strong with his headers and is rather calm no matter what happens.

Yes I think Porro’s arrival will signal just that with Spence going on loan and Tanganga or Sanchez leaving.

Doherty then goes in the Summer I suspect as long as Spence impresses in his 6 month Prem loan.

I suspect that, if Conte stays, he stays. If (if, if, if) Porro ends up arriving, having two very different options might appeal to him, and Emerson, for all his atrocious, abysmal faults as a footballer, is a trier and someone who doesn't complain with his lot.

If Conte leaves, then I think Emerson's gone too, and Spence comes back in to be our backup RB/RWB come the summer.

Defending is football too.

If Conte goes, the next manager might want a player like Royal, depends on the system.

i think emerson can do a job at rcb as well, he is strong with his headers and is rather calm no matter what happens.

Only played there a handful of minutes at one point.

Seems to have a lot of the tools to play there, but very little experience of actually playing there. I'm guessing there would be quite a period of adaptation needed.

Conte has consistently chosen other options when Romero's been out. Even though those other options (imo) aren't a great fit to the system. Would be a bit surprising to me at least if all of a sudden Conte started using him there mid season.

A big ask to work for this long to adjust to a wing back role from a full back role then all of a sudden having to adjust to another new role.

Not my favourite player but he was outstanding today

He still doesnt have the technique for a wing back in terms of dribbling/crossing etc, but his positional play has improved immeasurably so at least he's where a natural wing back should be even if his doesnt have the ability to execute when there

Back