• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dempsey

Dempsey is the new VDV - controversial playing style but hits goals and provides assists that counts. Certain to polarize the fans.

Agreed. Was undecided on Dempsey when we signed him and still not fully convinced. He has scored some important goals but he needs to score more I think. Also most of his goals for us have been tap-ins. He needs to be more effective for us next season if he stays.

Agreed. Was undecided on Dempsey when we signed him and still not fully convinced. He has scored some important goals but he needs to score more I think. Also most of his goals for us have been tap-ins. He needs to be more effective for us next season if he stays.

Who else is going to be scoring these goals? Put Dempsey anywhere in attacking midfield and he will find goals by timing his runs into the box. It is something Lennon is poor at, how many times have you seen him hit the back post for a tap-in?

Hopefully Dempsey will become less important next season as ideally we will have a bit more creativity and precision in front of goal. But I think we should keep him nonetheless as a mentor to Sig, who has shown similar instincts in and around the box but is arguably more useful to us due to his technical proficiency and his athleticism/willingness to press.

Who cares if his goals are tap ins, goals are goals. If it was so easy to score tap ins why hasn't our strikers scored about 50 tap ins this year or any of our other midfielders scored as many? Stupid comment, just like those that discount goals scored from the penalty spot like that's not a skill in itself...

Who didn't like vdv?

Me. I always thought he never scored enough goals to justify him doing nothing else.

11 goals - `14th in the goalscorer chart
6 assists - 14th in the assists chart

Not enough for someone playing in the 'hole'.

Dempsey is a very valuable squad player, the type I describe as a "glue" guy ie. he does what the team needs for it to be successful without seeking out any individual glory. Every good team needs players like this. IMO Dempsey knows that one of his tasks is to give possession to Bale as much as possible and open space for him by dragging defenders away. As someone mentioned above, he is good at arriving late in the box and scoring off of scraps. He may not be the most technically gifted player in the team but he understands this and plays the role that is set out for him. When he plays for the US he does try to be a more dominant personality on the pitch as this is his role as (possibly) their best and most important player. An intelligent player who understands his own limitations (and is getting us increased exposure in the US market).

What's not to like about Deuce?
He repaid his fee for for the United games alone. We won't fear them again. Respect, yes

Re: Dempsey Sold Official

Thanks for the performances Dempsey!

Hoping we have someone lined up to replace his contributions... not gonna be easy..

can't help but think this is a mistake, always struck me as a professional, a good role-model to our younger players, and helped us to build our profile in the states. Plus chipped in with goals from time to time.

Good luck Clint.

I think anyone 30+ and is not first choice starter should be sold. Good economic sale by the club IMO

Never was backed by the fans fully to no fault of his own.

My fav goal was that one against stoke away ...

We need squad players and Dempsey was a good squad player.

He will have earned the fee, that we spent on him, through his value in performances for the team. Therefore, even if he had retired, or left for nothing, we wouldn't have lost anything really.

Back