• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

He was born in Milton Keynes
He has disowned his Nigerian father
That article says his mum is Nigerian... his mum is a fat ginger chav and she’s about as Nigerian as I am

I genuinely find it endearing that there is a clamour for Africans teams to have players as their own when the players themselves doesn’t want them but tats not really for this thread

back on topic he has no excuse for his actions and I’m sure it will be addressed with those wonderful people at the FA

@nayenezgani in typifying @StephenH 's views as 'symptomatic of his generation' are you not guilty of doing essentially the same thing as Dele, ie of stereotyping?

As an old codger who started going to WHL in 1953 I nevertheless like to think my views are relatively enlightened, but certainly no less so than many I meet who are very much younger.

I shouldn't have made such a blanket statement.. I apologise. I should have said often symptomatic of his generation.

Edit: to be fair, @parklane1 proved my point fairly quickly.

@nayenezgani in typifying @StephenH 's views as 'symptomatic of his generation' are you not guilty of doing essentially the same thing as Dele, ie of stereotyping?

As an old codger who started going to WHL in 1953 I nevertheless like to think my views are relatively enlightened, but certainly no less so than many I meet who are very much younger.

I was born in 53!
Fellow old codger!

He was born in Milton Keynes
He has disowned his Nigerian father
That article says his mum is Nigerian... his mum is a fat ginger chav and she’s about as Nigerian as I am

I genuinely find it endearing that there is a clamour for Africans teams to have players as their own when the players themselves doesn’t want them but tats not really for this thread

back on topic he has no excuse for his actions and I’m sure it will be addressed with those wonderful people at the FA

His disowning of his Nigerian father was plain stupid on his part including the insinuation that the father (who is very wealthy in his own right) is after his money. His mother is not Nigerian. His father has two wives - first English and the second Nigerian. Apart from that, I don't think non-Spurs fans from Nigeria actually care about him again.

As far as I am aware, the clamour for Dele Alli to play for Nigeria wasn't intense. I don't even think there was a concerted campaign as done for Obafemi Martins. At one point, there was a slight interest in him due to him being Nigerian and a central midfield replacement required for Mikel / Okocha. He was on the radar before his move to Spurs. Dele Alli has been to the country severally when he was a kid - we congratulate him on his success and wish him the best. England can and do have him.

We do have a campaign similar to almost any other country (Spain, France, England, Italy) to speak to players of dual nationality to check if they are interested in wearing the GWG. I see nothing wrong with that and find the emotion towards it bizarre. At least we are going for players who have at least one parent who is Nigerian.

Players like Nedum Onuoha, John Fashanu, Gabby Agbonlahor, Patrick Owomoyela are examples of Nigerians who were capped a couple of times by other lands and never played again. There were a lot of Nigerian-English players in that U-20 side that won the WC in 2017 - Sheyi Ojo, Dominic Solanke, Fikayo Tomori, Ovie Ejaria, Ademola Lookman, Josh Onomah.

His disowning of his Nigerian father was plain stupid on his part including the insinuation that the father (who is very wealthy in his own right) is after his money. His mother is not Nigerian. His father has two wives - first English and the second Nigerian. Apart from that, I don't think non-Spurs fans from Nigeria actually care about him again.

As far as I am aware, the clamour for Dele Alli to play for Nigeria wasn't intense. I don't even think there was a concerted campaign as done for Obafemi Martins. At one point, there was a slight interest in him due to him being Nigerian and a central midfield replacement required for Mikel / Okocha. He was on the radar before his move to Spurs. Dele Alli has been to the country severally when he was a kid - we congratulate him on his success and wish him the best. England can and do have him.

We do have a campaign similar to almost any other country (Spain, France, England, Italy) to speak to players of dual nationality to check if they are interested in wearing the GWG. I see nothing wrong with that and find the emotion towards it bizarre. At least we are going for players who have at least one parent who is Nigerian.

Players like Nedum Onuoha, John Fashanu, Gabby Agbonlahor, Patrick Owomoyela are examples of Nigerians who were capped a couple of times by other lands and never played again. There were a lot of Nigerian-English players in that U-20 side that won the WC in 2017 - Sheyi Ojo, Dominic Solanke, Fikayo Tomori, Ovie Ejaria, Ademola Lookman, Josh Onomah.
Again your saying he is Nigerian. How do you work that out?
He was born 18 miles from me. Has lived there his whole life apart from when being taken to Nigeria to spend time with his dad. I believe that whole time frame may have constituted a year of his life.
The reason a lot of these players are good and useful is because they have grown and developed in the UK which is why they call it home
Doesn’t mean players can’t and don’t develop elsewhere but this is a well developed leading country that’s got youth World Cup winners now (like Nigeria has had in the past) and that may flow throw into the senior team

Last edited:
Again your saying he is Nigerian. How do you work that out?
He was born 18 miles from me. Has lived there his whole life apart from when being taken to Nigeria to spend time with his dad. I believe that whole time frame may have constituted a year of his life.
The reason a lot of these players are good and useful is because they have grown and developed in the UK which is why they call it home
Doesn’t mean players can’t and don’t develop elsewhere but this is a well developed leading country that’s got youth World Cup winners now (like Nigeria has had in the past) and that may flow throw into the senior team

Are you saying Dele Alli is not Nigerian? As far as I am aware, he has Nigerian blood in him and is Nigerian-English. He may prefer to identify as English but that doesn't change who he is.

A player spending some of his childhood and development in the UK doesn't automatically mean they will call it home. I have cousins who are over there - some rep Nigeria to the fullest, some rep England. I accept and reckon that it is their choice. E.g. Alex Iwobi - His preference from when he was young was to play for Nigeria at the senior level.

I have taken a look at the U-20 and U-17 World Cup winning sides. What should be worrying is that very few of them are getting regular chances to play which means even fewer will make it to your senior side. However success at younger level doesnt mean that the player will even be a good senior international. C'est la vie.

Do you think lazy generalisations like Dele's (not specifically Dele btw, I mean the thought process) have helped to contribute to the sharp rise in anti-Asian racism in the UK and across the west (and indeed in many places in the East) since this whole thing started?

I think people only really kick up a fuss if you say something racist/inappropriate about black people or someone from the gay/LGBTQIA community. Casual racism or stereotyping about Asians seems to be tolerated far more, personally I think it’s because they tend not to make such noise about it. Not saying that they shouldn’t do just to be clear. If you look at the oscars for example, every year they say “there’s no black actors”, “there’s only one black actor”. No one mentions the lack of Chinese/Indian/Korean/Japanese actors for example. Another example is Chris Rock who talks about racism of whites towards black people every time he appears on stage or at an award show but thinks it’s fine to make lazy, stereotypical jokes about Chinese kids being brainy when he hosted the oscars.

I think people only really kick up a fuss if you say something racist/inappropriate about black people or someone from the gay/LGBTQIA community. Casual racism or stereotyping about Asians seems to be tolerated far more, personally I think it’s because they tend not to make such noise about it. Not saying that they shouldn’t do just to be clear. If you look at the oscars for example, every year they say “there’s no black actors”, “there’s only one black actor”. No one mentions the lack of Chinese/Indian/Korean/Japanese actors for example. Another example is Chris Rock who talks about racism of whites towards black people every time he appears on stage or at an award show but thinks it’s fine to make lazy, stereotypical jokes about Chinese kids being brainy when he hosted the oscars.

Wow.

Are you saying Dele Alli is not Nigerian? As far as I am aware, he has Nigerian blood in him and is Nigerian-English. He may prefer to identify as English but that doesn't change who he is.

A player spending some of his childhood and development in the UK doesn't automatically mean they will call it home. I have cousins who are over there - some rep Nigeria to the fullest, some rep England. I accept and reckon that it is their choice. E.g. Alex Iwobi - His preference from when he was young was to play for Nigeria at the senior level.

I have taken a look at the U-20 and U-17 World Cup winning sides. What should be worrying is that very few of them are getting regular chances to play which means even fewer will make it to your senior side. However success at younger level doesnt mean that the player will even be a good senior international. C'est la vie.

He was born here. Lived here for 95% of his life and doesn’t identify on any level as Nigerian...

Yeah he isn’t Nigerian anymore than I’m Scottish even though I have a Scottish grandad or American for the same reason

You're supposed to be offended by everything these days, so yes, you should kick up a fuzz, and also file a complaint to the Internet police.

The bloody line is that long for those that say they are offended i'm not sure i have the time/desire.

Back