• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

He's struggling, but as another poster mentioned, he always was in and out of games (luxury), just he'd pop up with a game changing moment that made up for 40-50 mins of nothing.

I'd argue with our CB challenge, might be worth putting him back in midfield (where he started), e.g. 5 at back, Dele/Wanyama (once fit) with the attacking players in front, would force him to be constantly involved in the game and might help his form. Additionally he could make run from deep where no one would pick him up.

He's struggling, but as another poster mentioned, he always was in and out of games (luxury), just he'd pop up with a game changing moment that made up for 40-50 mins of nothing.

I'd argue with our CB challenge, might be worth putting him back in midfield (where he started), e.g. 5 at back, Dele/Wanyama (once fit) with the attacking players in front, would force him to be constantly involved in the game and might help his form. Additionally he could make run from deep where no one would pick him up.

I was thinking this the other day as well. He needs to be played deeper.

I was thinking this the other day as well. He needs to be played deeper.
Im not sure about that, he cant help but do his fancy flicks and tricks and playing deeper isnt the place to be doing that as we have seen with him losing the ball in critical areas this season....

Im not sure about that, he cant help but do his fancy flicks and tricks and playing deeper isnt the place to be doing that as we have seen with him losing the ball in critical areas this season....

He would have to cut it out if played deeper. He is athletic can tackle is better in space, the timings of his runs is one of his main strengths... coming from deeper it would be even more affective.

He would have to cut it out if played deeper. He is athletic can tackle is better in space, the timings of his runs is one of his main strengths... coming from deeper it would be even more affective.
Its not as simple as he would have to cut it out - when thats in someones DNA you cant just cut it out. What about his temperament? He was meant to have just cut that out, but that hasnt happened has it? Thats not going to get any better in a CM position when he's in the thick of all the challenges. Can he tackle that well? I dont trust his tackling at all, he'd probably get more red cards playing deeper. Also runs ghosting into the box from an AM position is much easier than from CM - its a far greater ask from back there to keep doing that, its not as simple as he's deeper therefore wont get picked up.

If anyone goes further back I hope we'd try Eriksen....

Its not as simple as he would have to cut it out - when thats in someones DNA you cant just cut it out. What about his temperament? He was meant to have just cut that out, but that hasnt happened has it? Thats not going to get any better in a CM position when he's in the thick of all the challenges. Can he tackle that well? I dont trust his tackling at all, he'd probably get more red cards playing deeper. Also runs ghosting into the box from an AM position is much easier than from CM - its a far greater ask from back there to keep doing that, its not as simple as he's deeper therefore wont get picked up.

If anyone goes further back I hope we'd try Eriksen....

I disagree. I think he has the tools to be a great box to box midfielder. He may very well get more cards in CM but he will add a bit more bite. As for being in his DNA I just don' accept that, there is one thing repeatedly trying tricks further upfield where there should be cover and another trying in midfield with no cover. If he truly can't cut that out then he ain' the player we think he is.

I disagree. I think he has the tools to be a great box to box midfielder. He may very well get more cards in CM but he will add a bit more bite. As for being in his DNA I just don' accept that, there is one thing repeatedly trying tricks further upfield where there should be cover and another trying in midfield with no cover. If he truly can't cut that out then he ain' the player we think he is.
Well you only have to see him stupidly losing the ball on the halfway line couple of weeks ago and the other team scoring from it to see he cant help himself. That highlights he hasnt the maturity for that sort of role yet, maybe one day but at his age and the way he is mentally I dont think its a good idea for him to be playing there yet....

Dele is very young and forgetting all the football and trappings of wealth he cant be judged yet, its far too early.
Remember when you were his age?
Now add in the money, lifestyle and family - THEN throw in top flight football into the pot.
I cant even imagine what his life must like, let alone for a sprog like him.
Poch and the staff will have to give him help.
We can get off his back and let him grow up and learn, I still am at 64 - Yeah I know, no brick sherlock!

Last edited:
And then bomb them out in a couple of years when they hit a rough patch

There's this weird thing that happens where you can't say anything remotely critical of a player without people claiming that you want them out of your club or think they're brick.

As good as he was last season (he was fudging brilliant), I think Alli was a bit overrated by the media after last season (he was at the top of most "Best Young Player in the World" lists). I think a lot of that came down to the fact that the rest of the core of the team was still so underrated by the media. Kane aside, I don't think the media appreciated how good of a platform players like Eriksen, Wanyama, Dembele, Alderweireld, Walker, Rose, Dier, and Vertonghen gave to Alli last year... Eriksen especially. He was able to play a bit of a free role and was often the recipient of great work from Eriksen, Kane, Alderweireld etc. Though his role was super important, I'm not sure he was ever quite as essential as some of our other players, as evidenced by Son's ridiculous goal-scoring numbers when he'd play that role.

I think this little "blip" (even though I don't even think he's been that bad) could actually be a good thing if he realizes just how good he has it in this team. I'm sure the team, the fans, and the coaching staff will keep rallying around him, and he'll be back in the goals soon enough. I also think this might lead to Dele signing a good long contract here (which he deserves) and continuing his development at a more sustainable rate.

There's this weird thing that happens where you can't say anything remotely critical of a player without people claiming that you want them out of your club or think they're brick.

As good as he was last season (he was fudging brilliant), I think Alli was a bit overrated by the media after last season (he was at the top of most "Best Young Player in the World" lists). I think a lot of that came down to the fact that the rest of the core of the team was still so underrated by the media. Kane aside, I don't think the media appreciated how good of a platform players like Eriksen, Wanyama, Dembele, Alderweireld, Walker, Rose, Dier, and Vertonghen gave to Alli last year... Eriksen especially. He was able to play a bit of a free role and was often the recipient of great work from Eriksen, Kane, Alderweireld etc. Though his role was super important, I'm not sure he was ever quite as essential as some of our other players, as evidenced by Son's ridiculous goal-scoring numbers when he'd play that role.

I think this little "blip" (even though I don't even think he's been that bad) could actually be a good thing if he realizes just how good he has it in this team. I'm sure the team, the fans, and the coaching staff will keep rallying around him, and he'll be back in the goals soon enough. I also think this might lead to Dele signing a good long contract here (which he deserves) and continuing his development at a more sustainable rate.
Indeed, I've noticed it more and more of late on here- you give any criticism to any of the favourites whether it be the coach or players and its made out like you're saying they're not good enough and want rid. Its ridiculous, questioning someone's performance or form doesnt mean they arent appreciated....

Indeed, I've noticed it more and more of late on here- you give any criticism to any of the favourites whether it be the coach or players and its made out like you're saying they're not good enough and want rid. Its ridiculous, questioning someone's performance or form doesnt mean they arent appreciated....

My issue with the criticism is it’s 90% speculation as to why he isn’t performing and that is all conjecture

New agent
Poor body language
Lazy
Tired
Things he has made it
Arrogance

Their are plenty but absolutely none of them based on facts just opinions

The facts are he is in his third season with a higher expectation than ever but he is also the youngest player on our side

Anything beyond that is pretty much speculative b011ocks

H'mm. Iirc in response to someone who said Alli needs a kick up the arse the other day you retorted he ALWAYS needs as kick up the arse (my caps).

When I listed at least four games this season where he excelled you just weren't having it.

Then you wonder why you get called out for your negativity.

All it needs is a little balance and credit where it's due, but maybe you feel you have the right to go OTT about any player you like without the right of reply?

H'mm. Iirc in response to someone who said Alli needs a kick up the arse the other day you retorted he ALWAYS needs as kick up the arse (my caps).

When I listed at least four games this season where he excelled you just weren't having it.

Then you wonder why you get called out for your negativity.

All it needs is a little balance and credit where it's due, but maybe you feel you have the right to go OTT about any player you like without the right of reply?
Here's some balance: He's a brilliant talent who needs some time/He's a fancy dan whose head has gone and needs to be publicly humiliated as the proper and correct motivation for his arrogance.

Back